loose steering wheel - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > loose steering wheel

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!Even Better Heim Pricing! From RuffstuffToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake Line

Unread 09-17-2011, 03:06 PM   #1
TheNewbie
1995 YJ Wrangler 

loose steering wheel

My wife's boss has an 88 YJ. We were talking Jeep at the last company party and he said that he has a problem with his steering wheel. It will wiggle back and forth and he said that it will steer itself while he's going down the road.

My first thought was that it was his 1" lift shackles. But he said that it will wiggle even when it's parked. It's a tilt column if that makes any difference. Is there anything that might have come loose in there? And if so how should he go about fixing it?

I told him I'd post here on JF and see if anyone could help him out. Thanks...

My build thread...
I've got a shotgun, a rifle and a four wheel drive...
TheNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2011, 03:14 PM   #2
sbsg2005
1995 YJ Wrangler 

There are 3 screws behind the turn signal cam that are prone to coming loose, when they come loose the column will feel sloppy .
sbsg2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2011, 03:20 PM   #3
TheNewbie
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbsg2005 View Post
There are 3 screws behind the turn signal cam that are prone to coming loose, when they come loose the column will feel sloppy .
How do you get to them? I'm not sure what the turn signal cam is to be honest.

My build thread...
Unread 09-17-2011, 04:48 PM   #4
Ronnie-Evans
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Good ol loose colum. Common issue. Tighten those bolts up and you should be fine.
Unread 09-17-2011, 05:07 PM   #5
TheNewbie
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie-Evans View Post
Good ol loose colum. Common issue. Tighten those bolts up and you should be fine.
So just pull the horn cap off and look for 3 screws/bolts to tighten?

My build thread...
Unread 09-17-2011, 07:08 PM   #6
sbsg2005
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
So just pull the horn cap off and look for 3 screws/bolts to tighten?
Its a little more involved than this. First you have to remove the steering wheel, then the lock plate then behind that is the turn signal cam( its a big white plastic assembly) this has to be removed then behind that is the 3 screws some are phillips some are torx tighten these up and it should solve the problem. Pay real close attention to how things come apart there are a lot little parts in there and they need to go back in exactly how they came out otherwise the turn signals wont cancel on their own and the wheel will remain floppy.
sbsg2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2011, 08:38 PM   #7
srdart67
2002 WJ 

First thing I would do is check the steering gear box. Mine has about 2 inches of play when parked and off and I can watch the shaft move but the pitman arm doesn't. Also check out where the gear box mounts to the frame. might be some problems there.
Unread 09-17-2011, 09:06 PM   #8
ejeeperguy
1982 CJ7 

don't tell him how to fix it until the wife is up for a raise then .... hit him up hard for the info.
ejeeperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2011, 12:37 PM   #9
TheNewbie
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejeeperguy View Post
don't tell him how to fix it until the wife is up for a raise then .... hit him up hard for the info.
They treat her pretty well. I think I'll go ahead and give up my ace in the hole this time

Thanks for the info guys. I'll pass it along.

My build thread...

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.