Loose Steering Column - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Loose Steering Column

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 01-22-2006, 11:26 PM   #1
Fenix85182
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Loose Steering Column

I've had this issue since I got my Jeep. It's the 89 Laredo, so it's got the tilt-wheel. I've got the tilt-wheel set where I like it. Though, if I push the sterring wheel at the top or sides, the entire steering columns moves a few degrees in that direction. I've gotten used to driving it like this, though I know it's not safe. Do you guys know if there is some sort of small universal joint on the passenger side of the firewall that could be causing this? Anyone else experienced this problem?

Fenix85182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2006, 06:55 AM   #2
Bad_Dog
2013 JK Wrangler 

Just had that fixed in my Jeep this past week. Had to have it done in order to pass state inspection. (sigh)

It involves taking the steering column apart - removing the steering wheel, turn signal arm, ignition cylinder, etc. etc. Buddy of mine did it (he's a mechanic for a local Chevy dealership) and took him a little over an hour from start to finish. There are four bolts that had to be tightened, but like I said, you have to tear down the steering column all the way down to where the tilt 'elbow' is. Ug. Not pretty.

Here's a URL to a how-to, but no pics. I can't find the URL that I once had that had step-by-step how to with pics, sorry. http://www.ifsja.org/tech/steering/column.shtml

Do a search on steering wheel tilt and you should find a lot of posts about this problem, fairly common.
Unread 01-23-2006, 12:52 PM   #3
Fenix85182
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks! That's a huge help, even without pics. I had begun taking this apart a few months ago, but I could tell it was going to be more in depth than I was ready for. I'm just happy I have a solution now.
Unread 10-24-2010, 07:37 PM   #4
cmd4rge
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Has anyone figured out a good fix for this problem. I've been digging around on the web and haven't found a clear solution. Please help! this is driving me nuts.
cmd4rge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2010, 07:45 PM   #5
Hbeaudreau
1987 YJ Wrangler 

It is the 3 or 4 torx bolts in the steering column. Me and my neighbor both had to do this to out trucks. it happened to my jeep and to his old chevy 1500 with the same steering column. It's a pain. You need lots of tools and some time. Took me forever to get through it and everything back together the first time. I ended up having to open it up a few more times within the month to fix a few other items in their. Now im a pro. In and out of the steering column in under an hour. Good luck! ill see if i can find the page i used to help guide me through and post it up
YJ Build : http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/my-87-yj-build-thread-1072026/
Hbeaudreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2010, 07:53 PM   #6
guy.griffin
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Mine was lose when I bought it. I had the whole column apart to to change the turn signal switch. I tightened one of the bolts it was good but now its loosening up again I think I will have to put some lock tight on the bolts

Also I think it might have to do with people using their steering wheel to pull them self's in the jeep that's why they loosen up
guy.griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2010, 11:20 PM   #7
Hbeaudreau
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Well im pretty sure there is more then one bolt in there and yes use lock tite
YJ Build : http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/my-87-yj-build-thread-1072026/
Hbeaudreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2010, 06:16 AM   #8
LoggingRoads
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Are you guys talking about the 'entire' steering column being loose (down through the firewall), or just the tilt part?

Mine is a little loose and floppy at the tilt joint, but it doesn't really feel unsafe in as far as being able to steer.. The steering feels nice and tight..

Didn't think it was anything to worry about..
LoggingRoads is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2010, 07:47 AM   #9
cmd4rge
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I'm talking about just the tilt part. It's probably just the release lever being extra loose. My issue is when ever it hit a big bump, the level disengages and the tilt steering assembly comes loose. Other than that, my steering is a tight as my ex-wife.
This seems to be a problem with many of the TJ's, but I've just been able to find a fix other than bubble gum, duct tape, or a shoe lace.
cmd4rge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2010, 09:16 AM   #10
Fenix85182
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Wow, I thought this thread disappeared 4 years ago!

I remember finding some diagram online on how to disassemble the steering column of a CJ-7, which was identical to that of the YJ. For me, it was the 4 torx bolts holding the column onto the firewall, not the entire assembly down to the box. As someone posted, take your time. I used a steering wheel puller to get the wheel off. From there it's basic disassembly, just time-consuming.
Unread 10-31-2010, 01:07 PM   #11
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Sure this may have been an old thread, but the problem is common enough. Try these:

Tilt Column Fix - Dale's Jeep Junk

Inside the GM tilt steering column - Pennock's Fiero Forum Yes, Fiero, but it's a GM tilt column, remember?

Good luck with this, it isn't a tough job, just meticulous. Really helps to have a puller and a lockplate spring compressor. I made my own............this thread was my very first post to Jeepforum-- http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/l...ressor-508587/

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock http://kamfamily.wordpress.com/2009/...waiian-limpet/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Opihi59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.