Loose body bolt - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Loose body bolt

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChTJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 10-09-2002, 10:36 AM   #1
K&L

Loose body bolt

I originally asked this over in the suspension area but no one seems to have any ideas. When I was removing the body bolts to install a 1 inch lift, one of the bolts backed out about a inch but the nut is now spinning in the holder. This happens to be the right side just behind the front wheel, so I can reach the top of it to feel it and soak it with WD-40. Any suggestions on the best way to get this bugger out?

K&L is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2002, 10:42 AM   #2
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

If you can feel it and soak it with WD40 .. can you not reach a socket on an elbow (if required) to reach the bottom of the nut?
  • Silver 2006 TJ Unlimited, zombie ready as the daily-driver
  • a Kawasaki KLR650 DualSport bike

- - - - - - -TEOTWAWKI- - - - - - -

NaeKid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2002, 12:10 PM   #3
K&L

I wish I could. The nut is probably a square piece of steel that floats between the body and a thin steel cap that was to hold it down and still allow for movement at the factory. All the others move around slightly, but this one moves and spins as well, it may have rusted or rounded the corners off trying to remove it. I may have to cut it and drill it....
Unread 10-10-2002, 07:23 AM   #4
K&L

Okay just in case anyone else runs into this issue installing a body lift, here is what I found out. The body nuts are square blocks of theaded steel about 1.5x1.5 inches. They float between a small indent in the body and have a thin steel cover over them that allows it to move. The front most body mounts ( the one right behind the front wheel) are open from below and mud, dirt and other crap can build up in there so it would be a good spot to clean out after a good muddin. I had to use a cut off tool to remove the bolt head and then pound the stud up into the void above it to remove it. The last two rounds of threads on the bolt were rusted pretty bad. Also I avoided the problem on the other side by NOT using an impact wrench, the torque from it caused the thin steel cap to flair and allow it to spin. On the others, alot of WD-40 and work it slowly with a ratchet, couple of turns out and back in so you can feel what is happening.

May sound like auto repair 101, but if it helps someone all the better!
Unread 10-10-2002, 07:35 AM   #5
Bob K

I'd like to know a solution also. I would like to change the body mount in that location. But mine is spinning also. Best solution I've heard so far is to cut a hole in the floor of the Jeep to access the top. If I remember where I saw it I'll provide a link. But I don't like that idea myself, so I'm waiting for a better idea. Anybody?
31" BFG A/T's
K&N Filter
Custom Rock Guards
Turbo Muffler
Rear Track Bar in the shed
Other Tricks I won't tell to just anybody!

'99 Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8
Towing Package
K&N FIPK
ProComp MX6 shocks
Borla Exhaust
Tow Hooks
Alpine CD with Infinity+iPod connect
Just getting started!

If you're not living on the edge...
you're taking up too much space.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2002, 08:33 AM   #6
K&L

In removing the cap over the nut, there are two small holes, one on either side. It may be possible to put a pair of bolts through this to tighten it done some, just a thought. After you get it apart things always seem simple, but I too was thinking about cutting a hole in the floorboard
Unread 10-10-2002, 04:38 PM   #7
Bob K

If it's a plate rather than just a nut is it possible to drill and run a few sheet metal screws thru to hold it from turning?
31" BFG A/T's
K&N Filter
Custom Rock Guards
Turbo Muffler
Rear Track Bar in the shed
Other Tricks I won't tell to just anybody!

'99 Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8
Towing Package
K&N FIPK
ProComp MX6 shocks
Borla Exhaust
Tow Hooks
Alpine CD with Infinity+iPod connect
Just getting started!

If you're not living on the edge...
you're taking up too much space.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.