Looks like fuel pump is broken --- true? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Looks like fuel pump is broken --- true?

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 10-10-2009, 01:14 PM   #1
cfixy
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Looks like fuel pump is broken --- true?

Hello --- ive been struggling getting my jeep started after an unanticipated year away. it was sitting in mud for the year unfortunately. Looking back, i should have drained my old fuel -- i may have avoided all this trouble.

Upon return, Car started easily and ran great for one month. Then it started running rough a little bit, then it died on the way to work. I towed it home and managed to get it going again with fuel injector cleaner put directly into the engine via the air intake port.

Next day, was letting it run in the driveway for a little, when it died completely... no chance of starting. Checked the fuse box: ok. Checked the fuel pressure/ purge valve on the rail and all that was coming out was air. But -- it was air under pressure: every time i tried to turn it over it build more air up in the fuel system.

My neighbors seem to think its the fuel pump.

- what about the fuel filter?? kinda seems super clogged to me. if i were to change the filter to start, how do i test it without putting the tank back on... just in case it is the pump too??

- how can i tell if my tank is rusty inside? if it is, how do i fix it? new tank?

- could i have avoided all this if i had changed out the old gas upon returning? There was a half tank in there, then when i returned i put in 20 bucks more.... when it broke it was back to half a tank.

any help would be appreciated.... thank you!
c

cfixy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2009, 01:17 PM   #2
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

First off, change the filter. It is on the frame rail just in front of the tank. Second, check all of your lines.

If non of this works, are you certain you have enough gas in there?? the gauges are notorious for being totally off. If you are priming air, then you have something wrong with the pump setup, pickup. This should be checked after you change the filter.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2009, 01:41 PM   #3
cfixy
1991 YJ Wrangler 

hm. interesting.

my dash lights quit working last week too --- maybe my gas gauge went with it? my battery gauge works fine -- i watched the needle wobble while we were replacing the battery a few days ago (another dont-let-your-car-sit project).

besides using the gas gauge, how else can i tell if there is gas inside? sure seems like it could be an empty tank, now that you bring it up. but, im pretty sure there is gas in there, based on memory.

how do i "check all my fuel lines"?? what am i looking for? where are "all" of them?

so my fuel filter isnt in the tank??? great!! ill go replace that immediately.... crossing my fingers....
Unread 10-10-2009, 01:51 PM   #4
cfixy
1991 YJ Wrangler 

sorry --- forgot to ask this too..... this jeep has always had ridiculously low mpg. would a clogged filter/weak pump have anything to do with my fuel efficiency?? its at 11mpg at the moment, id love to get it back up to where its supposed to be.... what, at 15 or so? the car seems to run strong, when its running anyway....

thanks again.
Unread 10-10-2009, 10:36 PM   #5
iwishihad1

change the filter first, and make sure its no minor issues causing it to just run poorly. but pumps sitting submerged in gas for periods of time can kill them. im away from my YJ for months at a time, and have had pump problems in the past.

dropping the tank a 1 hr deal, and you can "jump" the pump after you remove it with 2 wires, and a battery. just make sure the pump is dry first. if its shorting, or going bad you can usually tell pretty easily
[CENTER]1995 fire red XJ, new 4.0, ARB safari snorkel, sye, front DS, aussie locked 8.8 5:13s 38 SXs, trussed/locked 44 front, hydro assist, DOM steering/COLOR]
YJ. 91 body, body off resto, crate chevy 350, 700r tranny, 2 inch springs, SOA, ford 9 rear, dana 44 front, both detroits, cage, 4:88s, and 36X14.50s. strictly street queen
iwishihad1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.