Looking for your YJ exhaust pics/ideas! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Looking for your YJ exhaust pics/ideas!

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 10-24-2008, 12:37 PM   #16
sebastian22
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumYJ View Post
Sebastian22. Exactly what I was thinking. Which skid plate are you looking at or are you gonna fab one? Like your Jeep BTW, mine looks similar.
Thanks, put up some pics of yours on your profile.

Probably gonna have one fabricated at work.

Unread 10-24-2008, 01:01 PM   #17
notmyj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Not the best pic, but its the only one that shows my exhaust. You can see the down pipe that crosses the oil pan. The cat nestled safely in the skid plate, and the exhaust just past that. I have yet to do any "major" damage to it, with the exception of ripping the down pipe off on a tree stump, but that was with the factory one. I had this one made, it fits real tight and so far, I haven't had a prob with it.

My BUDGET York OBA Install
Budget Welding Cart
Carling Contura Switch Panel

If it has tracks, tires or tits, its gonna cause a problem.

"Everytime someone "upgrades" a D35, an angel looses its wings."

"Dizzy" - What SnoopDog would call a Distributor if he was a mechanic. I cringe every time I hear this moronic term

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
Send lawyers, guns and money. The **** has hit the fan...
92, 4.0, AW4, 8.8, D30, 15x10, 37's, SOA etc, etc
92, 2.5, 30, 8.8, 4.88, Locked, Winch, 15x8, 35's, 3.5" (RIP)
notmyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2008, 01:29 PM   #18
Prowler
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamaguy01 View Post
Thanks! Does that interfere with anything being that it is in front of your oil pan? I was considering taking the left exhaust tubing this route to cross over to the right side where I plan on mounting my muffler.
Doesn't interfere with anything. It's a pace-setter header and I didn't have any clearance issues anywhere.
4.2 EFI - Pacesetter header - Flowmaster - 4.5" RE XD - RE Monotubes - 35" Trxus M/Ts - 4.10s - D30 Aussie - 8.8 Trac Lok - NV3550 - Centerforce Dual Friction - B&M Shifter - ARB Snorkel - Livewires - M8000 - Duralined interior - custon front bumper - custom brush cables - HiLift on the hood with lights

"Don't follow me, You won't make it!"
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2008, 02:59 PM   #19
jeepercreeper77
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmyj View Post
Not the best pic, but its the only one that shows my exhaust. You can see the down pipe that crosses the oil pan. The cat nestled safely in the skid plate, and the exhaust just past that. I have yet to do any "major" damage to it, with the exception of ripping the down pipe off on a tree stump, but that was with the factory one. I had this one made, it fits real tight and so far, I haven't had a prob with it.

nice picturecan you flip it to the other side so i could see.lol
90 wrangler,4.2l,1" MML,CRT HEI Dist.,34/34(interco) weber, hurst shftr,5spd,5" BDS lft,f-d30/r-8.8,5/8 lft booms,1" bl,tflex belly up,JB convs. SYE,gdyr mtr35s,hurc'ed,smit src frt bump,gen-r rear bump w/tire carrier,f&r tube fenders,psc knokrs,r gen-rgt ful conr gurds,duel bat.,BIC,m8000
jeepercreeper77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2008, 01:49 AM   #20
yamaguy01
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Location: McGuire AFB (Ft. Dix), NJ/Oxford, NC, I can't wait until I get to leave NJ!
Here is what I am now planning on doing. Including a cat. Let me know what you think. My only worry is if there is enough room between the outside of the frame and the rear tire to allow for a 3" exhaust tip to be in between there with out rubbing. I have a friend going to look at my Jeep tomorrow and measure it for me. There is probably enough room and besides I want to get some more offset wheels so that will stick them out there more and hopefully will be out of the way enough.

Dave

Square Headlights group member #222
Armed Forces Jeeps group member #65
United States Air Force group member #12
Guns and Jeeps group member #10
Ron Paul Jeepers group member #7
yamaguy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2008, 07:45 AM   #21
Fred007
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustywrangler View Post
Just so your aware. It is ILLEGAL in all 50 states to run without a cat converter, furthermore, Jeepforum does not allow discussion of such illegal activity.

I am going to ask that you refrain from futher discussion on not running a cat.
Hate to disagree, but I don't think this statement is entirely true. I am not in the legal field, but have neighbors that are and a friend looked into this for me. It quickly gets complicated beyond my simple brain to understand, but I have several cars that do not have, nor require, CATs. The specific example is where I live in WI does not require testing, so that is one thing itself. Second thing in the statute is that if I did live in an area that required testing, my Jeep being manufactured before 1995 would not require testing.

The statutes do say I cannot tamper with, or modify an existing CAT, but that does not apply to vehicles that came without them.

If you can point me towards the statute that would require me to have a CAT (for example on my 1965 GTO) I would really be interested in seeing that. Thanks.
Fred007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2008, 08:26 AM   #22
carl6405
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Magna Flow Catalytic high flow converter made a huge difference on my YJ. I just had it installed and you can feel a major difference just on the exaust blowing on your hands out the back. And I know it added some horses. Between that and the throttle body spacer, I have no problem getting up to 70mpg on the interstate. I have not put it on a dyno meter, but, I wouldnt be surprised if it added more than 20 horses.
carl6405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2008, 08:40 AM   #23
Jacobmprater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred007 View Post
Hate to disagree, but I don't think this statement is entirely true. I am not in the legal field, but have neighbors that are and a friend looked into this for me. It quickly gets complicated beyond my simple brain to understand, but I have several cars that do not have, nor require, CATs. The specific example is where I live in WI does not require testing, so that is one thing itself. Second thing in the statute is that if I did live in an area that required testing, my Jeep being manufactured before 1995 would not require testing.

The statutes do say I cannot tamper with, or modify an existing CAT, but that does not apply to vehicles that came without them.

If you can point me towards the statute that would require me to have a CAT (for example on my 1965 GTO) I would really be interested in seeing that. Thanks.
i can clear this up for you. we went through this when my sisters 83 el camino went to inspection. if it is b4 a 1985 (xxxx-1984) you do not have to run with cats. as well as if the car does not originally come with cats you do not have to have a cat. these rules do not apply to california.
Jacobmprater is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2008, 08:41 AM   #24
Jacobmprater

i can clear this up for you. we went through this when my sisters 83 el camino went to inspection. if it is b4 a 1985 (xxxx-1984) you do not have to run with cats. as well as if the car does not originally come with cats you do not have to have a cat. these rules do not apply to you if you live in california, you MUST have cats no matter what.
Jacobmprater is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2008, 06:39 AM   #25
yamaguy01
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Location: McGuire AFB (Ft. Dix), NJ/Oxford, NC, I can't wait until I get to leave NJ!
Anyone with a V-8 wanna share some exhaust pics/ideas before I go through with the plan I have in the chart? Is 2.5" exhaust large enough for a LS1 V8? Thanks again for all the advice and ideas thus far!

Dave
Unread 10-29-2008, 07:13 AM   #26
Pyrate_7
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamaguy01 View Post
Anyone with a V-8 wanna share some exhaust pics/ideas before I go through with the plan I have in the chart? Is 2.5" exhaust large enough for a LS1 V8? Thanks again for all the advice and ideas thus far!

Dave

Just my .02, but Dave, I would highly recommend you run dual pipes/cats/mufflers all the way back from the headers/manifolds. It will allow your V8 to get rid of the exhaust easier. And yes, if you run duals, 2.5 will be plenty. I'm honestly not sure if 2.5 will be enough with your current config. Anyone else?

Oh, and Pat, I'm stealing your bumper! I love the yellow hazard stripes. That is awesome!

Sebastian...thanks for posting that write-up. I've been trying to figure out how I want to run my new exhaust to get it out of the way of the skids I plan to install. Now I know

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."
-- Galileo Galilei
Pyrate_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2008, 12:52 PM   #27
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

route a single outlet and you will have half the trouble. its a jeep not a street rod. unless you use a 'hushpower' muffler its not going to fit above the skid plate like that.

i wouldn't take exhaust advice from someone who goes without a muffler or someone who thinks hes getting 20 extra 'horses' from a high flow cat and a throttle body spacer.
fratis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2008, 04:57 PM   #28
Fred007
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Here are some pics of my LS1 setup. Running 2.5 out the back, Magnaflow 14" muffler, not too loud (son wants more...) but nice sounding. Thought the single outlet might be a little simpler and I'm not hurting for horsepower.

Pic of LS1 before I put it in, shows the cross over.

Shot of current day setup from front

Shot of muffler up under the skid plate

Tailpipe coming out (I am going to shorten a bit)
Fred007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2008, 06:02 PM   #29
yamaguy01
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Pyrate_7 - Thanks for the input, I was wondering about that also but space under the Jeep is at a premium right now. I'm afraid I would never find the space for 2 cats and 2 mufflers. I just hope the single 3" cat, and 3" inlet and dual 2.5" outlet Magnaflow muffler will allow for enough flow.

fratis - Yeah I know it would be easier to run a single out the back but I'm stubborn and want duals out the back. I know there is very little space inside the skid. What is a "Hushpower" muffler?

Fred007 - Are you running a single 2.5" pipe out the back?

Thanks everyone for the input and thanks for the pictures Fred007! I'd like to see more pics of your Jeep too sometime.

Dave
Unread 10-29-2008, 08:46 PM   #30
JFranko
1992 YJ Wrangler 

it sounds like you are going single exhaust, so I would say go the factory route. I bought a kit and IIRC it's 2.5" pipe, and it fits fine with a muffler and factory cat
RED JEEP CLUB MEMBER #494
JFranko is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.