Looking for your YJ exhaust pics/ideas! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Looking for your YJ exhaust pics/ideas!

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 09-23-2008, 06:04 AM   #1
yamaguy01
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Location: McGuire AFB (Ft. Dix), NJ/Oxford, NC, I can't wait until I get to leave NJ!
Looking for your YJ exhaust pics/ideas!

I am getting my Exhaust done on my YJ. I have most of the S.S. 2.5" pipe, mandrel bends, muffler, and headers and have a pretty good idea of how I want to run it. But, before I make the final decision and let the guy go ahead and weld everything up tight I wanted to see what others are doing about the limited space under their Jeeps when routing the exhaust. To throw some more complication into this I am 2000 miles away from my Jeep and getting my buddy to route all this according to memory and some pictures I have. Any advice/ideas would be great and of course pictures are best. Thanks in advance!

Dave

yamaguy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2008, 01:56 AM   #2
yamaguy01
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Location: McGuire AFB (Ft. Dix), NJ/Oxford, NC, I can't wait until I get to leave NJ!
No one has anything for me? C'mon guys, I know someone has a YJ with a picture of their exhaust routing, where the exhaust exits, tips, headers, something!

Dave
Square Headlights group member #222
Armed Forces Jeeps group member #65
United States Air Force group member #12
Guns and Jeeps group member #10
Ron Paul Jeepers group member #7
Unread 10-24-2008, 03:30 AM   #3
Prowler
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Heres the only pics I have...

4.2 EFI - Pacesetter header - Flowmaster - 4.5" RE XD - RE Monotubes - 35" Trxus M/Ts - 4.10s - D30 Aussie - 8.8 Trac Lok - NV3550 - Centerforce Dual Friction - B&M Shifter - ARB Snorkel - Livewires - M8000 - Duralined interior - custon front bumper - custom brush cables - HiLift on the hood with lights

"Don't follow me, You won't make it!"
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2008, 03:52 AM   #4
yamaguy01
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks! Does that interfere with anything being that it is in front of your oil pan? I was considering taking the left exhaust tubing this route to cross over to the right side where I plan on mounting my muffler.
Unread 10-24-2008, 05:07 AM   #5
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

What about a cat converter??

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2008, 05:24 AM   #6
yamaguy01
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I am still looking into how/where I should mount the cat............................................

Last edited by yamaguy01; 10-24-2008 at 06:15 AM.. Reason: oops
Unread 10-24-2008, 05:28 AM   #7
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Just so your aware. It is ILLEGAL in all 50 states to run without a cat converter, furthermore, Jeepforum does not allow discussion of such illegal activity.

I am going to ask that you refrain from futher discussion on not running a cat.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Unread 10-24-2008, 06:26 AM   #8
yamaguy01
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Well my apologies, I was not aware of that. With all my ignorance I thought an older vehicle like this could pass inspection, thanks for clearifying that. I had wanted to buy one but the route I have chosen to run my exhaust is really tight. Also the way it's going to be I would need 2 cats and that means double the space I'd need and really can not afford to give up. Maybe if I ran a Y pipe 2-2.5" into one 3" and then replace the muffler I have for a single 3" inlet and dual 2.5" outlets I could make it work. It's going to be tight but I think I could maintain a steady exhaust flow like this. Any input?

Dave

Also I am looking for a good picture of the YJ frame with running gear(axles, tranny, engine, t-case) so I can paint some ideas I have and post them to see what everyone thinks of the routing since I can not just go out and take pictures of my Jeep since it's 4000 miles away.
Unread 10-24-2008, 09:29 AM   #9
QuantumYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I want to run the TJ routing on my exhaust in front of the oil pan http://www.lieblweb.com/TechLinks/TJ...xhaustonYJ.htm but finding a stock downpipe is proving harder than I thought. Something in the area Rusty is referring to, legality issues, salvage yards won't sell anything between the manifold and the CAT around here. Guess I'll have to see what a shop will charge to custom bend that section.

BTW I'm all in favor of CAT's...they're great for catching mice
Unread 10-24-2008, 09:50 AM   #10
Mobile_Homie
Desert Rat

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Oh, you have a SBC, and prolly want to run it on the street. I think the best way would be straight up through the hood, like a mud bogger Just Kidding. I ran my 4.0 straight down the left side and out between the frame and spring, wish now I would have used a muffler insted of a cherry bomb (sounds like a Cessna at take off) We wont talk about Illegal stuff like bead locks, they are not DOT approved Happy Wheelin'

Smoke em if you got em!

Click here
Mobile_Homie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2008, 10:31 AM   #11
Pyrate_7
1995 ZJ 

Me, personally, I run straight pipe aft of the cat. I wound up bashing my muffler all to pieces on a rock one day, and just replaced it with a 2 ft length of pipe. It sounds like a bad ***

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."
-- Galileo Galilei
Pyrate_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2008, 11:04 AM   #12
sebastian22
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumYJ View Post
I want to run the TJ routing on my exhaust in front of the oil pan http://www.lieblweb.com/TechLinks/TJ...xhaustonYJ.htm but finding a stock downpipe is proving harder than I thought. Something in the area Rusty is referring to, legality issues, salvage yards won't sell anything between the manifold and the CAT around here. Guess I'll have to see what a shop will charge to custom bend that section.

BTW I'm all in favor of CAT's...they're great for catching mice

Great link! I've been thinking about doing this for quite a while to get more clearance for a future engine skid plate.
Unread 10-24-2008, 11:11 AM   #13
pat8942
1992 YJ Wrangler 

You must see something I don't.
I read the original post a few times and the word cat isn't in it and I didn't see any indication that he wasn't going to run a cat or even any discussion regarding a cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustywrangler View Post
Just so your aware. It is ILLEGAL in all 50 states to run without a cat converter, furthermore, Jeepforum does not allow discussion of such illegal activity.

I am going to ask that you refrain from futher discussion on not running a cat.
Unread 10-24-2008, 11:31 AM   #14
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat8942 View Post
You must see something I don't.
I read the original post a few times and the word cat isn't in it and I didn't see any indication that he wasn't going to run a cat or even any discussion regarding a cat.
I was just making him aware of it and if you read the responces he replied with he was still unshure about it. Just clarified for him.

Unread 10-24-2008, 12:15 PM   #15
QuantumYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Sebastian22. Exactly what I was thinking. Which skid plate are you looking at or are you gonna fab one? Like your Jeep BTW, mine looks similar.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.