Looking for a YJ.. some questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Looking for a YJ.. some questions

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 02-14-2002, 08:06 PM   #1
Edge

Looking for a YJ.. some questions

I'm in the process of looking for a YJ. This will be my weekend vehicle, and used mainly for transporting a kayak, bikes, and going camping ..no serious off-roading..

I'm looking for a 91-95 4.0/5spd.. I've run across a few that look promising, but each one so far seems to have its problems.. The latest one I'm interested in (actually on eBay), looks great except for a crack in the windshield (shouldn't be bad to replace) and the tranny and rear end were rebuilt 10K miles ago.. should I be concerned about the rebuilds? (It's a 93 w/ 95K mi).

Any other suggestions for a new potential Jeep owner? I've decided on a YJ for price reasons; 91+ so I don't have to deal with the carb and crappy trannies; the 4.0HO since I'll be on the road much more than off and would like the extra passing power; anything I'm missing? .. any other gotcha's?

Thanks for the info..

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2002, 08:29 PM   #2
93YJ

In my opinion, the best YJ for the buck would be a 1995 with a 4.0 engine. The engine has plenty of power, the trannys are strong for what is being thrown at them, and they come with the larger 297x u-joints. Can't go wrong with one of these. As far as the rebuilt components on the Jeep you are looking at, I wouldn't worry too much. The tranny and rear axle are very simple components that can be easily rebuilt. If you don't plan on any serious wheelin', the upsized u-joints may not benefit you enough to track down a '95. Good luck!

Jay
www.txtrailbeast.com
93YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2002, 08:30 PM   #3
Chris C

Just FYI, my new winshield in my YJ cost $256. Get glass coverage and tell your insurance company two weeks later. haha.
30x9.5x15's on American Racing Nitro 15x8's
Custom Lock Box
Homemade Exaust
More stuff soon.
"I like it dirty"
Chris C is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2002, 09:26 PM   #4
bob91yj

Jeeps come from the factory with cracked windshields! I'd say you've done your home work Edge. Another thing to consider is the internal slave cylinder. I think it went to the external in '94 (little help here if I'm wrong).

You'll know it when you see it, I just got lucky with mine!
Unread 02-14-2002, 09:46 PM   #5
Edge

If I had my preference, I'd actually take a '91. I like those CJ style roll bars for some strange reason..

I'll keep on looking .. I'm just sooooo impatient.
Unread 02-14-2002, 09:56 PM   #6
Keymaster

If you have the time to wait it out a while, look for a good deal. I got a 91 with the 4.0, fully loaded with a.c. and everything for $3000. Someone traded it in locally and I knew a friend of a friend. There are definately good deals to be had. For some strange reason I really like my slanted roll bar too....hmmmm? Kinda makes it look like a fastback Jeep. LOL! I have some pics on my website...just click the little house. Happy hunting!

Looking for a YJ!
Keymaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2002, 12:09 PM   #7
QueenYJ

A few additional comments. The 93-95 YJ's offered ABS as an option, and yes the 94-95's had the external slave cylinder and beefier u joints which are definetly a plus. Something else to consider is that all of the 91's and some of the 92's had the first generation intake manifold that was not as efficient nor produced as much horse power as the one later adopted on the 93-95 YJ's. A cracked windshield is really no big deal, not sure how much you want to spend but generally speaking a 94-95 will run you a lot more dough. A 93 with 95K and those rebuils should do you quite well. P.S. I just bought another Harley on eBay and I've also nearly bought a few Jeeps there too, I think if you know what you are looking for it's a great way to pick up some wheels at a good price, most people are afraid to go sight unseen so the deals can be pretty good.
Unread 02-15-2002, 01:32 PM   #8
Edge

Can anyone identify what's in these two pictures? They are some shots of the Jeep I mentioned earlier, that is on eBay. Things look pretty scratched up under there -- is that 'normal' or is that the result of hard trail use?

Thanks..
Unread 02-15-2002, 01:37 PM   #9
Edge

One last question (for now. ) ..

another '91 I'm looking at, at a dealer an hour or so from here, looks promising .. the only problem I am aware of so far, is one patch of rust .. it's probably 3" or so in diameter, on the driver's side, just below and ahead of the word 'Jeep'.

I've done zero body work, so I really don't know how well it can be fixed, and how expensive it would be (if I couldn't do it myself). I've seen bondo jobs before that just look like crap..

According to the guy selling it, the rust does not go all the way through the metal (but I haven't examined it for myself).

Any thoughts on this? I wouldn't be worried about the rust had it been on a smaller body piece like the hood or a fender.. but I believe this location is on the tub .. which I wouldnt' want to deal with replacing..

any thoughts?

(thanks in advance..)
Unread 02-15-2002, 04:37 PM   #10
QueenYJ

The eBay Jeep has what I would imagine is the a ggod bit of surface rust on the underbelly. This does'nt mean it was abused off road but the owner never undercoated it with anything to maintain a nice appearance. Looks to be pretty superfical, nothing a little power wash and spray on undercoating won't fix. I see that the transfercase has been lowered which would normally mean there is a suspension lift. All things the same you will probally get a better deal $ wise on eBay. If you can not do bodywork yourself even something small like that is not cheap to get fixed right. The interiors will also give you alot of clues as to if the owner used it as a beater. Also consider the one at the dealership probably has already been detailed so it may look a better just because of that.
Unread 02-15-2002, 09:46 PM   #11
Sniper
2008 JK Wrangler 

Looks like the lift was removed, but some forgot about/didn't know about the t-case spacers. The rust spot just below the "jeep" logo is common in rusty jeeps and is usually just the begining. Also if there is a "ripple" or wave in that area it's a sign the jeep as been off-road a bit (body flex)If there's rust there I'd pull the carpet back and check the floorboards as well as the lower lip of the tailgate and it's hinges (other rust prone areas). Good luck
Unread 02-16-2002, 12:00 AM   #12
Edge

thanks for the advice on the rust, and on the t-case drop..

I think I've decided to definitely stay away from any rust spots on the tub.. especially since this Jeep will be around the beach a lot..

Take a look at these two pics. It doesn't look to me like it's lifted (much?).. yet the tires shown here are supposedly 33's. I would assume they would rub like crazy, right?? .. or is eBay buying paranoia setting in?

again, thanks for all of the help, guys..

(and Keymaster -- nice looking Jeep .. and a great deal! .. love those slanted roll bars..)
Unread 02-18-2002, 09:13 AM   #13
QueenYJ

It looks like it has a two inch suspension lift on it. It really does look as if it's riding on 31's but usually when people want to clear 33's on a low budget they go for 2-3" suspension with a 2-3" body lift or just a 3" BL with lift shackles. The good news is there is no 3 inch body lift to mess up the tub, and no 2" lift shackles to jack up the steering. If you wanted some more room in the wheel wells and a more agressive look then just throw on a 2 inch BL. Other things to look at with this Jeep are that you are getting a hard top and hard doors, nice bumpers, pretty desirable items...just my .02

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.