Looking at a YJ this saturday - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Looking at a YJ this saturday

G2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 06-12-2014, 11:20 AM   #1
kamakazi118
2005 WK 

Looking at a YJ this saturday

Getting rid of my WK Grand Cherokee (don't use it enough, I use my commuter car) and I'm looking to get a YJ Wrangler for the beach and for having fun doing work on. I found one i'm going to look at saturday thats a 1987 4.2L 6cyl with 58,000 miles on it. It has a 3 inch lift already and some nice looking 31's. Clutch is new (supposedly) and comes with a hard and soft top. listed currently at $7,000, which from the minimal research I've done on YJ's in the past two weeks is a little high (guy might be trying to leverage the low miles). I was thinking closer to $5,000 would be more reasonable. So basically just looking for some input, im excited to start doing some work on a jeep again (did all i really could on my WK), but i'm not too excited where I will risk jumping the gun and paying to much.

An advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

kamakazi118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2014, 11:28 AM   #2
dancytron
1990 YJ Wrangler 

All depends on how rusty it is. A rust free one in New York would be so rare, it might be worth close to 7K. A rusty one that needs the frame repaired and floor boards patched isn't worth buying unless you are looking for a welding project.
dancytron is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2014, 11:55 AM   #3
crackedcornish
1988 YJ Wrangler 

$7000?

I suppose if it had a fuel injection unit installed on the 4.2L, a swapped in AX15 (or better) transmission, a 231 (or better) transfer case, BDS or similar quality lift springs for that 3" lift, an 8.8 Ford (or better) rear, and an as new tub and frame... you could get it up there
Orange Jeep Club #88

˙ɹǝʌo ɹǝʇndɯoɔ ɹnoʎ dılɟ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
crackedcornish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2014, 12:08 PM   #4
Luuca
Professional Novice

2005 LJ Wrangler 

In CA that Jeep sells for $3,500 - $4000 without the the hard top. Out here they would sell the Hardtop separately for $800. Carbed YJs just don't hold as much value (in general) in Commiefornia due to our Air Quality laws and SMOG tests. Sure people drive them and get them past smog, but it's a PITA.

IMO: find a near stock YJ of 91 or newer vintage for the Fuel Injection. Buying someone else's lift means you are paying a premium for something you probably will have to end up replacing.

BTW: If you are looking for a rust free CA YJ, I know a guy selling one for $5,000. 95 2.5l completely stock except the radio. It will sell for $4,500 - $5,000 out here in the summer. PM me, I've shipped cars to Indiana before, NY shouldn't be any harder to set up.
91 YJ "Alice" 2.5L AX5 D30/35 -Busted Knuckles Yellow Jeep Club Club #91

05 LJ Rubi "Ghost" 4.0L Auto NV241 D44/44 locked 4" RE Lift 1" BL 33s
Luuca is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2014, 12:20 PM   #5
HaskiE
Thread Reviver

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackedcornish View Post
$7000?

I suppose if it had a fuel injection unit installed on the 4.2L, a swapped in AX15 (or better) transmission, a 231 (or better) transfer case, BDS or similar quality lift springs for that 3" lift, an 8.8 Ford (or better) rear, and an as new tub and frame... you could get it up there
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuca View Post
In CA that Jeep sells for $3,500 - $4000 without the the hard top. Out here they would sell the Hardtop separately for $800. Carbed YJs just don't hold as much value (in general) in Commiefornia due to our Air Quality laws and SMOG tests. Sure people drive them and get them past smog, but it's a PITA.

IMO: find a near stock YJ of 91 or newer vintage for the Fuel Injection. Buying someone else's lift means you are paying a premium for something you probably will have to end up replacing.

BTW: If you are looking for a rust free CA YJ, I know a guy selling one for $5,000. 95 2.5l completely stock except the radio. It will sell for $4,500 - $5,000 out here in the summer. PM me, I've shipped cars to Indiana before, NY shouldn't be any harder to set up.

x2. for that price, you better be able to see your reflection in the frame rails
#theneverendingaxe
HaskiE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2014, 01:20 PM   #6
Jeepsr4me

87 had the one year only 207 transfer case parts hard to find. The worse trans ever and a engine that had so much SMOG crap on it that it never ran right.

Miles on it or not. I would not pay 2k for it... Can get some really good wranglers down south for way less than the 7k or 5 k
AND NOT RUSTed..

87 was a crappy year.. I had 2 of them.................. 4.2 and the 2.5,,,, I take that 2.5 ANY day over the other...
Jeepsr4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2014, 01:53 PM   #7
JMark
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Speaking as another New Yorker with a similar vintage YJ (which I've had for many years), I would agree with most of the above. (I do not agree that EFI is always better; I prefer a carb myself; and I don't necessarily agree that buying someone else's lift is always going to be bad. Mine, for example, is pretty well done.) The price sounds high, but it could be worth that (I wouldn't sell mine for twice that). Pictures would help a lot.

And yes, rust is a huge concern, obviously. Has the owner kept the hard top on much (keeps a lot of water out)? Check the floorboards. If they are rusted, there is probably more rust. Some is hard to see (e.g., rear cross-member, under the dash or windshield frame, etc.) Check the frame carefully for rust. And obviously any body rust (use a magnet if it's been repainted, etc.). 58k miles is pretty low for that year model; it could be that it has been babied. Or it could be the odometer is wrong.

All in all, I am (obviously) fond of the old YJ's, for a lot of reasons. I'm doing a face lift on mine now, and had considered swapping in a larger engine, but ended up just staying with the 4.2. It's a good engine. And mods are easy.

Edit: I removed all the smog stuff from mine, and have an Offy and Weber, and a Borla header. Runs well. We all have our own opinions, but I wouldn't want a Jeep with a four cylinder engine in it.
JMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2014, 02:56 PM   #8
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepsr4me View Post
87 had the crap tastic 207 transfer case. and a engine that had so much SMOG crap on it that it never ran right.

87 was a crappy year.. I had 2 of them.................. 4.2 and the 2.5,,,, I take that 2.5 ANY day over the other...
Unfortunately, this is all opinion. My 87 had a 231 t-case and both were options for the year, 231 and 207. And the engine never running right is due to something else as the engine is the same uptil 89 or 90. And it being a crappy year is still opinion. I love mine and would take it over a 2.5.
Unread 06-12-2014, 04:28 PM   #9
Jeepsr4me

I bought them NEW off the show room..... And the 207 is what they came with.... You must had a very late 87...
Unread 06-12-2014, 05:18 PM   #10
JMark
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I don't really care (mine has a 231 fwiw), but this blurb is on the Q-Tech site:
There are numerous styles of New Process transfer cases, and you must be very careful in making your identification of such. The first units were the NP207s, and they were used in the early model Cherokee Jeeps. The full size Jeep trucks and Grand Wagoneers used the NP208. Jeep soon added the NP231 which replaced the Model 207 in 1987. A Model NP242 was also added for the full time 4WD models.
http://www.quadratec.com/jeep_knowle...article-42.htm
JMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2014, 07:36 PM   #11
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Mine is march or may of 87. I don't remember which
Unread 06-12-2014, 08:01 PM   #12
Jeepsr4me

Every 87 I have seen has the 207 in it. The spec page only shows that case for that year.
Don't care either way. My case never broke and I raced that jeep in the desert.
Unread 06-12-2014, 09:54 PM   #13
billiebob
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I'm looking to get a YJ Wrangler for the beach and for having fun doing work on. I found one i'm going to look at saturday thats a 1987 4.2L 6cyl with 58,000 miles on it. It has a 3 inch lift already and some nice looking 31's. Clutch is new (supposedly) and comes with a hard and soft top. listed currently at $7,000
---------------
My '87 with the Renault 5 speed and the carbureted 4.2 was a dream to drive. For all the flak everyone throws at the early YJs I drove mine for 10 years, daily, without any problems. BUT $7K? WOW. 58K miles.... ?? not 158K??

Still no matter how much I loved it finding parts is an issue. 87, 88, 89s were the only years with those rare parts.

AND always check the rear frame, cross member/bumper, shackle hangers for rust.
yj-trail-001.jpg

Unread 06-13-2014, 09:05 AM   #14
jeepguy85
Bringing down the BFH
1987 YJ Wrangler 

My 87 came with a 207, which I swapped for a 231. The 4.2 is a good engine. Everyone has differing opinions. That price is way high. I paid $4200 for mine with with a rebuilt 258, fresh paint, new sound system with overhead speakers, 4" lift, 33x12.50s with matching spare on black steelies, weber 32/36 carb, and hard top and full doors. 58k miles is good, but he is at least 2k above what the Jeep is worth. My frame is also rust free. Unless he is willing to come way down, I would move on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneRZA View Post
Mean Max created Chuck Norris with some spare parts, two trac bars and some differential fluid.
jeepguy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2014, 10:01 AM   #15
Cheech93YJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

That sounds a little high for a YJ but then i started to think (first time) picked one up last August not my dd I'm a commuter too, paid $3800 as it sits 4" rough country 4.2 177k minor surface rust on the frame it need TLC (my turn putting time in) brakes front & rear, exhaust all of it, motor & tranny mounts, sway bar end links track bar, rollover valves, all fluids (Royal Purple that stuff is magical) CPS (crank position sensor) I'm probably in for another $1800 (who keeps track) but there is no reason to pay what he's asking take that money and put it back in your project
Cheech93YJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.