Looking for suggestions... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Looking for suggestions...

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 06-15-2013, 04:41 PM   #1
geusey
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Looking for suggestions...

1992 4.0 leaks oil. I'm pretty sure it's the rear main, but I am thinking of taking this opportunity to pick up a gasket set from Summit and replace all the seals. If I am going to have the engine opened up anyway, are there any other jobs you think I should do while I am at it? I am also considering an aftermarket cam as well. Something like the COMP cams 4x4. Any other ideas?

Unread 06-15-2013, 05:57 PM   #2
bcusstc
1995 YJ Wrangler 

While its not "in"the motor, i would do the oil filter adapter o rings as well..
bcusstc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2013, 11:46 PM   #3
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

When looking for an oil leak you have to remember a couple things. The oil flows two ways one by gravity and two by air flow in the engine bay so before you dismantle a lot of your Jeep check closely. You may want to clean it all up and find a fresh leak to be sure. A lot of oil leaks all end up dripping in that area mines was a bad valve cover gasket not the oil seal.

AF Jeep Club Tail #184
jokerchief462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2013, 11:55 PM   #4
rykemc
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Oil pump and timing chain if you decide against the cam change.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/m...build-1502848/

APRIL 2013 YJOTM
rykemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2013, 06:36 AM   #5
geusey
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokerchief462 View Post
When looking for an oil leak you have to remember a couple things. The oil flows two ways one by gravity and two by air flow in the engine bay so before you dismantle a lot of your Jeep check closely. You may want to clean it all up and find a fresh leak to be sure. A lot of oil leaks all end up dripping in that area mines was a bad valve cover gasket not the oil seal.
Don't worry, i've already changed the valve cover gasket and cleaned it all up. I just got done with that little project not too long ago and stopped it leaking out the top, but there is still a leak coming from the back of the engine, and it got worse after I lifted the Jeep and the engine started sitting tilted back a little bit.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.