Looking to purchase a YJ, price checking & questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Looking to purchase a YJ, price checking & questions

Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 04-24-2013, 11:44 PM   #1
gaping46and2

Looking to purchase a YJ, price checking & questions

Hey guys, totally new to the forum and Jeeps in general. I currently drive a '97 5.4L Ford Expedition, which I'm looking to sell/trade for a YJ. I've found a few in the area on craigslist, but haven't taken a look at anything yet. There's one in particular that's caught my eye, a '94 Sahara in green/tap hard top w/ 149k miles. Everything looks to be stock from his description & pictures. Looking at KBB.com, private party price looks to be about $4300 in excellent condition. I've had issues with KBB in the past under/over-estimating vehicle values. What do the YJ's usually sell for, stock, no mods and in good condition? I wouldn't want to piss anyone off sending an offer only to be really low balling, neither would I want to over pay for one. Also, anything I should look out for? I'm in Texas, and rust is rarely an issue down here, but are there any problematic areas I should keep an eye out for mechanical wise? This wouldn't be a daily driver, as I commute to work, but on certain days when I don't, I'd be driving 40+ miles, and I'd certainly use it on the weekends for trips and such. Thanks for any help, and I hope to be a part of this forum community soon.

gaping46and2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2013, 01:32 AM   #2
kgb_m3
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Welcome to the forum. YJs can run you from a few hundred dollars to over 10k depending on what has been done. Axle swaps and other common sought after mods tend to increase the value. Proper, functional trail mods do. Rust tends to tank the price down, you can find a rust bucket just about anywhere and can be had for around 1k. Anything with half way decent body and mechanically functional will run you upwards of 3k.

It really depends how much time you have/want to invest. All YJs are going to require a lot of dedication, but what you get in return is well worth it. $$/fun ratio is definitely higher than any other vehicle I've owned. Sell the Ford and keep an eye out on CL. Ebay deals aren't as good imo, people ask way too much.

Good luck!
kgb_m3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2013, 01:56 AM   #3
sxysouthtx
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I'm from the Corpus area. One thing I've learned about the gulf coast is that people think their Jeep for sale is worth more than its weight in gold. Something about the gulf coast causes people to jack up the prices. But, there are good ones to be had. Look around the San Antonio and Austin region. There are a lot less rust buckets, and on top of that there are more modded rigs for sale at reasonable prices. Personally, if there is sand in the Jeep, that means the dude probably ran that thing up and down the beach and didn't wash it enough. Stay away from those. Remember it's a YJ and not a Rubicon. So when people are trying to screw you price wise, you can always look at some TJ's in the area. Anyway, good hunting.
Unread 04-25-2013, 08:33 AM   #4
StanF
1995 YJ Wrangler 

$4300 sounds about right - I paid a little less than that for my 95 with 120K and 2.5L in San Antonio.

Others may (will!) disagree, but I think the 94s and 95s are the best YJs. A lot of the earlier problems were fixed (internal slave), and the multiport fuel injection works well. Look here:
http://www.jpmagazine.com/featuredve..._buyers_guide/

Be prepared to replace a lot of the rubber parts on an 18-20 year old Jeep. I'm slowly replacing weatherstripping, bushings, motor mounts, transmission mount, vacuum lines, etc. Thankfully, I probably won't have to do it for another 20 years!

One potential note on the YJs - parts are not as readily available as the later TJ parts. You can find anything you need for a YJ, but I see many more TJ parts on Craigslist, etc. Aftermarket support is much better for the TJ. For example, Rokmen doesn't make any YJ products. You may want to consider a TJ. If so, look here:
http://www.jpmagazine.com/featuredve..._buyers_guide/
Unread 04-25-2013, 08:48 AM   #5
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

There is just as much aftermarket support for the YJ as there is the TJ. Bumpers are all interchangeable for example. There are dozens of lift kits, several companies make built up axles for them, lots of interior components, tops, exterior armor, or decor, so on and so forth.

There's not much reason to go with a TJ except if you are looking for a newer vehicle. I say go with the YJ and use what you have left over to invest in some aftermarket goodies.

Sent from a Jeep.

-1989 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, soon to be 5.2L
-1996 Jeep Grand Cherokar 5.2L, donor and rainy day driver
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2013, 09:10 AM   #6
StanF
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress View Post
There is just as much aftermarket support for the YJ as there is the TJ. Bumpers are all interchangeable for example. There are dozens of lift kits, several companies make built up axles for them, lots of interior components, tops, exterior armor, or decor, so on and so forth.

There's not much reason to go with a TJ except if you are looking for a newer vehicle. I say go with the YJ and use what you have left over to invest in some aftermarket goodies.

Sent from a Jeep.
The OP didn't state why he wanted a YJ, so I gave him something else (TJs) to think about. I'll stick by my original comments, but respect your opinion. I have a pretty good handle on YJ parts availability here in Texas, which is where the OP is located. Maybe it's different in CA, where you are.

As far as aftermarket support, TJs are better supported. Try to find a gas tank lift skid for a YJ, and you might find 1 or 2 suppliers. There are many more options for TJs.

Rokmen doesn't make YJ parts.

These are facts, not my opinion.

YJ aftermarket support is pretty darn good, and you can find anything you need. TJ aftermarket support is better. I wish it wasn't that way, since I own a YJ.
Unread 04-25-2013, 10:46 AM   #7
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Rokmen is one fish in an ocean of Jeep suppliers. Besides, whatever isn't already made, can be made. Gas tank lift skids aren't popular for YJ's which is likely why people don't make them. Not that there is a need, you might be able to push the tank up 1/2" before it tops out. If you need to get the tank out from underneath then put it inside of the tub, up top.

There may be "more" aftermarket support for TJ's, but that's because a TJ has "more" parts on it

[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Unread 04-25-2013, 11:29 AM   #8
gaping46and2

Truthfully, I'm looking at YJs because of price. The $4-5k range is about all I'd want to spend at the moment, and the TJ is just out of that price range, and I wouldn't want to be purchasing one that needs a lot of work to get into that range. This would be a vehicle I'd need to depend on when I need it to get me to and from work, and on trips out of town occasionally. I probably won't be doing too many modifications myself, maybe a slight 2 inch lift down the road, a roof rack for a kayak/bikes, a just-in-case winch, but nothing drastic like axle swaps.

I have noticed most Jeeps (not just YJs, but TJs, too) with few to no mods for sale on craigslist are at least $2-3k over their bluebook values, which is one reason I came here looking for opinions. I didn't know if I was missing something, but it seems like the sellers are a little overzealous with their asking prices.
gaping46and2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2013, 11:51 AM   #9
StanF
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaping46and2 View Post
it seems like the sellers are a little overzealous with their asking prices.
This
Unread 04-25-2013, 11:55 AM   #10
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

^Always. Wranglers and Toyota Tacomas hold their resale value like no other vehicle out there. You might walk out with a model a few years older than new with 50 some odd thousand miles on the clock and pay only a couple grand less than a brand new one.

A trick a lot of people use is to highball their vehicles so that people will aim for closer to what they want to get for the vehicle. I would say start looking at vehicles in person and determine which one you want to go with. But keep in mind Wranglers are picky, they like lots of attention and older ones often have worn out parts. And if this is going to be your DD, you had better go through it with a comb to make sure there isn't much that can go wrong with it.

Unread 04-25-2013, 03:45 PM   #11
Luuca
Professional Novice

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress View Post
^Always. Wranglers and Toyota Tacomas hold their resale value like no other vehicle out there. You might walk out with a model a few years older than new with 50 some odd thousand miles on the clock and pay only a couple grand less than a brand new one.

A trick a lot of people use is to highball their vehicles so that people will aim for closer to what they want to get for the vehicle. I would say start looking at vehicles in person and determine which one you want to go with. But keep in mind Wranglers are picky, they like lots of attention and older ones often have worn out parts. And if this is going to be your DD, you had better go through it with a comb to make sure there isn't much that can go wrong with it.
X2

Our wrangler got the full treatment of "Reliability First" repairs and we were able to build a $600 wreck back up to a nice YJ for under 6K. I did a lot of horse trading and used body parts buying, learned a lot on here and asked a bunch of questions, spend a grip of that 6K on an engine rebuild, and at Autozone, but in the end, It's a fun, reliable, and very capable vehicle.

Don't buy a TJ... It's Hip to be [SQUARE]!
91 YJ "Alice" 2.5L AX5 D30/35 -Busted Knuckles Yellow Jeep Club #91
05 LJ Rubicon "Ghost" 4" RE Lift 1" BL 33s

TJ FOR SALE
Luuca is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2013, 03:46 PM   #12
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

there have recently been a number of good deals in the valley too. (i am in corpus also) and, if you look up by livingston or north of houston along 45 and 59 in the small backwoods towns., there are great deals too. the closer you get to the coast, the more expensive the jeep, as sxysouthtx as noted. the best deals i have been able to find are in houston or san antonio.

the sahara is a great model to have as it has tons of creature comfort options, my wife had a 93 yj sahara with 4.0/auto combination. we drove it all over texas and loved. that is what led to me getting my 87 yj laredo. we paid 4k for hers and straight traded an 87 cherokee for mine with a guy from houston.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.