Looking for opinions - YJ tub purchase - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Looking for opinions - YJ tub purchase

Huge Soft top SaleNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 07-01-2013, 03:36 PM   #1
lost in mud

Looking for opinions - YJ tub purchase

I'm in need of a new tub for my YJ as rust has gotten the best of it. Floor pans, rockers, rear quarters, below tail gate to name a few....just too much to try and cut out and pay someone to weld panels back in in my opinion.

I've got a lead on a rust free tub from texas with a clear title for $1000 that is about 3 hours away from me.

Think $1000 is a fair deal? He is asking $1500 for it.

Guess I am just looking for a reality check and that I don't impulse buy this tub. I've been looking around for about 6-8 months and rust free YJ tubs are hard to come by that have a clear title and are not in southern california.

Thanks in advance!

lost in mud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2013, 09:52 PM   #2
devoX13
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Just got one a bit ago for 800. It was in good shape. Needed a new drivers side pan because some idiot did a temp fix. Well worth it. I'm happy with it so far. But its not on the frame yet ha
devoX13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2013, 05:04 AM   #3
lost in mud

thanks for the reply.

I just wanted to make sure that was a fair price.
Unread 07-02-2013, 05:27 AM   #4
Jeepsr4me

You dont even need the title to a tub. You vin plate will go right over on it.
But 1000 just for tub is a good bit high. Around here I can get whole YJs in semi running condition for 1500.. And we dont have the rust issues of the north. I sold a complete running 95 for 1500 last week.
Jeepsr4me is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2013, 05:29 AM   #5
Kdeome
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Does it come with interior and cage? He's asking above the norm IMO.
Kdeome is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2013, 09:38 AM   #6
lost in mud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepsr4me View Post
You dont even need the title to a tub. You vin plate will go right over on it.
But 1000 just for tub is a good bit high. Around here I can get whole YJs in semi running condition for 1500.. And we dont have the rust issues of the north. I sold a complete running 95 for 1500 last week.
If I bought a tub without a title then I would have to apply for a self assembled title, provide receipts for everything bought for assembly, if i buy used parts from an individual the receipts have to be notarized and take it to the State Patrol to have it inspected.

If i buy one with a title, i just register the new jeep and scrap my old.

Where are you that you sold a yj for that price?

Now you guys got me thinking about the price...
Unread 07-02-2013, 09:40 AM   #7
lost in mud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdeome View Post
Does it come with interior and cage? He's asking above the norm IMO.
Tub, tailgate, windshield (good glass) and cage.

Don't think it comes with the interior which I am going to swap mine in it anyways.
Unread 07-02-2013, 12:17 PM   #8
Destr0
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds a bit high even for Evansville- I bought a running driving CJ7 with a SBC 350 in it for $600 in Evansville. Seen a few tubs for $350-$400 that only needed little fixes. For $1K I would expect a whole rolling chassis.

Just my thoughts- worth exactly what you paid for them. :-)
Destr0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2013, 02:43 PM   #9
lost in mud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destr0 View Post
Sounds a bit high even for Evansville- I bought a running driving CJ7 with a SBC 350 in it for $600 in Evansville. Seen a few tubs for $350-$400 that only needed little fixes. For $1K I would expect a whole rolling chassis.

Just my thoughts- worth exactly what you paid for them. :-)
Yea i called a guy in Vincennes that has a few and he wants $550 without titles and needs a little bit repair work.

Decisions decisions...
Unread 07-02-2013, 06:50 PM   #10
Kdeome
1992 YJ Wrangler 

For what its worth, I bought my 92 with 55k miles this year for $1200. Needed the brakes bled. Its no where near mint, but its all original and idk... 800 for a minty fresh southern complete tub MAYBE, but only because I'm in rust central New England.

Kdeome is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2013, 11:32 PM   #11
Suprmn
1989 YJ Wrangler 

it seems to vary a lot by location, but 1000 sounds fine to me if the tub is in excellent condition. The deals described earlier in this thread don't exist where I live.
89 Wrangler, All OME suspension, Dana 44 rear, Upgraded Alloy USA Dana 30, Rock Hard & OR-Fab cage mods, Warrior bumpers, XRC 8000 winch, Weber Carb, Corbeau seats, Double D dash, Solid Axle diff covers, Borgeson steering shaft, flowmaster exhaust, Tom Woods driveshafts.
Suprmn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2013, 02:48 AM   #12
jred
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Geez, around here you can't get anything that says "JEEP" on it for less than $5k in running condition, with the exception of old Cherokees.

Sorry, that doesn't really help OP. All I can say is, if you can't find one cheaper in your area, and you really need it, it is worth EXACTLY what you are willing to pay for it. If it's too high, you can either wait til you find something you feel is the right price, or you can change your idea of what is too expensive & what is not.
jred is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2013, 04:12 AM   #13
lost in mud

yea around me anything "running" and has jeep on it is a minimum $2,000, then it is usually rusted out or beat up.

I'm going to check it out friday so we'll see maybe ill get him down lower once I see it in person.

Thanks for all the replies guys thats exactly what i was looking for.
Unread 07-03-2013, 07:05 AM   #14
Shadownwpa

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Not sure why you'd need to worry about a title when you can put your vin tags on whatever you get... just keep your windshield with the vin tag there and swap the one on the firewall, riveting it in. Is there some law against that?
Shadownwpa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2013, 07:10 AM   #15
lost in mud

The one you have to rivet takes a special rivet and that is looked at when I would go for an inspection.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.