Looking for new seats, any recommendations? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Looking for new seats, any recommendations?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Restorations, Mild to Wild! CCORGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.com

Unread 04-19-2009, 03:43 AM   #1
BAJER-guy
2011 JK Wrangler 

Looking for new seats, any recommendations?

So I've been using these stock seats for almost a year now. I drive a 95, and the seats are original. I need new ones. Only problem I have is where I live it has this terrible tendency to spontaneously rain. And just like the saying, when it rains it pours. So the only issue I really care about is the damn seats soak up all that water and there is no place to park that has an overhang.

So I am looking for new seats, of which I would really like them to be waterproof! They don't need to be anything fancy like neoprene or whatnot. I'd settle for hard foam with a waterproof coating. If all else fails I would be fine making due with some sort of "raincoat" for the seat!!

Does anybody have any experience with what I'm looking for?

And while I think of it, has anybody ever considered putting in a bench seat for the driver/passenger like some trucks have?

BAJER-guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2009, 05:43 AM   #2
flys_yj
1994 YJ Wrangler 

i like my corbou moab's, they are vinyl covered. you can always get neopreane covers or a top?? they do make temp rain covers for when you park it in the evening..look through quadratec on line.
flys_yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2009, 06:01 AM   #3
TheRealOldjeep
1994 YJ Wrangler 

The only really waterproof seats I've found are the plastic buckets and they are not very comfortable. Also have to drill holes in the bottom so they actually drain. I had them for 3-4 years and replaced with some better seats.

A good deal on seats is here: http://www.jeepswag.com/empi/buy2/

I just got a set and they are nice. Then just buy some rain covers for your seats when its parked.
97 TJ 2.5L/30RH - daughters car

www.oldjeep.com My site
TheRealOldjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2009, 06:09 AM   #4
BAJER-guy
2011 JK Wrangler 

Dont suppose you have a link for rain covers? All I saw on quadratec were seat towels and neoprene seat covers.
Unread 04-19-2009, 06:45 AM   #5
TheRealOldjeep
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAJER-guy View Post
Dont suppose you have a link for rain covers? All I saw on quadratec were seat towels and neoprene seat covers.
Cheapest place is usually a marine store

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/prod...ID=1008&r=view

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...tial/0/0?N=377 710&Ne=0&Ntt=seat cover&Ntk=Primary Search&Ntx=mode matchallpartial&Nao=0&Ns=0&keyword=seat cover&isLTokenURL=true&storeNum=18&subdeptNum=58&c lassNum=0
97 TJ 2.5L/30RH - daughters car

www.oldjeep.com My site
TheRealOldjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2009, 07:34 AM   #6
Emdot
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I hear the iggee seat covers shed the rain pretty well, no personal experience, just hearsay

http://ww.iggee.com
Unread 04-19-2009, 08:21 AM   #7
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I think rain covers would be your best bet. any really waterproof seat will probably not be comfortable.

60/40 seat from a ford ranger will fit, there was a write up a few months ago.

Not sure what you have for junkyards over there but there are many seats that can be made to fit, with not much work.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2009, 08:28 AM   #8
BAJER-guy
2011 JK Wrangler 

After seeing some of those rain covers I think that would be best.

I checked the articles, but I think I'm missing the writeup about the seat mod, do you have a link? I'm still figuring this site out.
Unread 04-19-2009, 08:33 AM   #9
jerryjeeper
Old Jeep Guy
1990 YJ Wrangler 

If you decide to do new seats check out the Bestop trail riders (I think that what they are called. Very reasonable, easy to maintain and an angle adjustable backrest with the built in headrest. Look just like the stock YJ seats and bolt up to all the stock tracks, tilt-slide-fixed. Made a big improvement in my 1990 which had broken seat frames.
jerryjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2009, 09:53 AM   #10
omohundro
1993 YJ Wrangler 

i really like my Super Sport Recliners. They shed water good but like said above not water proof.
omohundro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2009, 10:22 AM   #11
BAJER-guy
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryjeeper View Post
If you decide to do new seats check out the Bestop trail riders (I think that what they are called. Very reasonable, easy to maintain and an angle adjustable backrest with the built in headrest. Look just like the stock YJ seats and bolt up to all the stock tracks, tilt-slide-fixed. Made a big improvement in my 1990 which had broken seat frames.
I saw those on quadatec and I am really leaning towards them. They do look nice and comfortable. My wife keeps pinging on me when she rids with me because her seat reclines on one side only, and not because we wanted it to! So I think this years' refund will be applied towards new seats and rain covers. After I herc my interior I wont worry about the rain anymore!
Unread 04-19-2009, 05:31 PM   #12
Hockey1
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Have you looked at the tread that lists all of the different cars that swap into a YJ? Theres a pretty big list and alot cheaper than buying them brand new.

Welcome to America, now speak English!
Hockey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2009, 08:49 PM   #13
iowajeepers
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAJER-guy View Post
Heres what I use: http://www.glad.com/trashbags/

1994 YJ, 2000 TJ, 2000 XJ, 2004 WJ, 1976 Stingray
iowajeepers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2009, 02:08 AM   #14
BAJER-guy
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowajeepers View Post
Simply awesome, exactly what I was going to do until my new seats get here.
Unread 05-05-2009, 02:09 AM   #15
BAJER-guy
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealOldjeep View Post
The only really waterproof seats I've found are the plastic buckets and they are not very comfortable. Also have to drill holes in the bottom so they actually drain. I had them for 3-4 years and replaced with some better seats.

A good deal on seats is here: http://www.jeepswag.com/empi/buy2/

I just got a set and they are nice. Then just buy some rain covers for your seats when its parked.
I bought seats from these guys. Thank you for the recommendation.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.