looking for a leak on a gas tank 93 yj - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > looking for a leak on a gas tank 93 yj

THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15”/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 03-02-2009, 01:16 PM   #1
Bchomegrown
1993 YJ Wrangler 

looking for a leak on a gas tank 93 yj

Last week when I was in the BK drive thru (after filling up) some lady came up an told me I was droppin gas. I got out checked an seen It was just a drip, but rather almost free flowing outta the tank. Id say there was at least a litre on the ground. It stopped almost immidiatly after I took the cap off an released the pressure from the tank. So I dropped the gas tank looking for a leak, armed with some gas tank epoxy I was determined to get it done. I took the shield off with it still hooked up, I let it run for about 15 mins still couldnt find a leak. Now I'm not sure where it could be, I'm the second owner of the jeep the Previous owner was a lady an she had it in the dealer for every scheduled maintenance so I'm assuming the recall for gasket was done on it. I'd hate to put it all back together with out finding the leak.. any suggestions would be appreciated

Bchomegrown is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2009, 03:04 PM   #2
jbach
1999 TJ Wrangler 

do you have the tank dropped? tip it on it's side away from the filler. unless it was leaking at the filler neck. it's there somewhere.
jbach is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2009, 04:10 PM   #3
93jeepyj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

may of been a loose hose clamp ive had mine piss gas out like that before too.
93jeepyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2009, 04:27 PM   #4
Gonewhln
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I had this issue also i replaced the gasket around the fuel pump it was 5 bucks then i also replaced the return and sending tubes i want to say they were 3/8 inch tubes (rubber) i didn't quite tighten the hose clamp on one of them and it dripped a little until i could get the tank dropped down again.
Gonewhln is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2009, 04:32 PM   #5
Bchomegrown
1993 YJ Wrangler 

ok, well I tipped the tank all around unless theres a leak in one of the seals theres no hole in the tank. The other thing i noticed was that there were no clamps for 2 of the connections. The 2 brass knuckels in the middle of the tank (i think its the fuel sending unit) had clamps on it, however the two outer plastic ones did not. also the line that connects the two plastic elbows together (it has a t connection) is pinched, is this a problem ?
Unread 03-02-2009, 04:39 PM   #6
Gonewhln
2006 TJ Wrangler 

could be i pinched hose may cause pressure build up and creat a leak some where.

try replacing the old hoses they maybe dry rotten.
Gonewhln is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2009, 04:40 PM   #7
Mobile_Homie
Desert Rat

1994 YJ Wrangler 

The two outer lines are for the 'roll over valve', they shouldn't leak. Prolly the filler tube leaking.

Smoke em if you got em!

Click here
Mobile_Homie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2009, 04:41 PM   #8
Bchomegrown
1993 YJ Wrangler 

ok thx, off to the part store
Unread 03-02-2009, 04:56 PM   #9
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

the rollover valve or the hoses and fittings can leak gas if the the tank is full, or it's tilted to the right.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2009, 05:07 PM   #10
tazme695
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Notes

NOTE: In vehicle rollover valve is in the inverted position the plunger is forced against the guide plate and raw fuel is prevented from flowing through the valve orifice into the fuel tank vent tube.

NOTE: These vehicles are equipped with only one rollover/pressure relief valve. These dual function valves relieve fuel tank pressure and prevent fuel flow through the fuel tank vent lines should the vehicle be rolled over. To test the Purge Shutoff Switch perform the following procedure.

1. Inspect fuel and vapor hoses for proper routing, cracks, or restrictions.
2. Inspect fuel tank cap for proper seal and fit.
3. Remove fuel tank vent hose from EVAP Canister. Apply light air pressure (3-6 psi.) to the Fuel tank filler tube. Air flow should be present at fuel tank vent hose. If air flow is not present, and Fuel Tank is not over-full, replace Pressure/Relief Rollover Valve.
tazme695 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2009, 06:49 PM   #11
4.7stroker
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I think you should put the tank back in fill it up and find the leak with a Zippo.

WARNING this procedure could be a health hazard.

Dwayne
4.7stroker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2009, 08:46 PM   #12
azgurney
1991 YJ Wrangler 

My old tank would leak when it was over 1/2 full. There is seam on the platic tank on the back side of the tank 1/2 way up that was cracking. I tried patching it with various tank sealers and then jb weld but nothing would hold up very long. I ended up replacing the tank.
Unread 03-02-2009, 10:19 PM   #13
Obcean2
1993 YJ Wrangler 

When I had my fuel leak on my 93 it ended up being a dry rotted fuel line, and the leak was about a foot or so in front of the tank. When the system was under pressure gas would leak and run back the line to the top of the tank where it would then drop to the ground. I thought I would never find the leak. Good luck with yours!
Obcean2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2009, 11:00 PM   #14
nickdestfino
1989 YJ Wrangler 

My 89 had the fill hoses dry up and crack and would leak anythign over half a tank. Fuel would splash around inside and spill out the hose. I had a guy come running up to me on a trail and tell me I ruptured my talk. I hoped out looked at it grabbed a beer and kept on down the trail.
Unread 03-03-2009, 11:02 AM   #15
Bchomegrown
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Well the guy at the parts store (my buddy) told me to just go tighten all the hoses before I buy new stuff. So yesturday I was able to put the tank all back together making sure to over tighten all the hose clamps. I could only find one zap strap so I put that on one of the rollover valves. I sloshed the tank all over, nothing. I took a lil bit of gas an poured it on the rubber seals of the rollover valves, nothing. So Im left thinking its a hose, but not one of the main ones, I think if it was it would at least have dripped while I let it run for 15 mins. I also bent the one hose (connecting the 2 rollover valves w/ the T connection) back in to shape. While the tank was out I figured I'd give my self 5 extra gallons, may or may not turn out to be a good idea. When I took it for a test drive last night I also noticd the fuel gauge goes lower than before. Between the zap strap an bending that hose back into shape I hope one of them work. Thanks for all your input everybody given me lots of good tips

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.