Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

looking into swapping motors on budget

2K views 38 replies 14 participants last post by  cwise737 
#1 ·
I have a 92' yj with the 5 speed 2.5, Dana 30 front 35 in back. BDS 3.5" lift with 33" Goodyear wranglers. I'm mechanically inclined and have all tools to do the swap. Would it be better and hold up if I get a 4.0 out of another jeep and the transmission would it hook up and will the axles hold up or should I just keep saving for the usual 350. I'm 18 and have a daily driver so time is not a problem. Please help me with any knowledge you have I love everything jeep

#2 ·
IMHO, either way will run in the same ballpark price-wise.... though 350s are more plentiful... if you go with TBI it seems to be fairly simple wiring, and if you go older (carbed) it's about as simple as it gets.

large part of the price difference is how much of it you can do yourself (fab and install) and how much your initial purchase price is for the motor.

though with 33's, you're pushing the luck on your D35 even with the 4cyl.... go with an Explorer 8.8 and you'll be good for most common engine swaps (maybe aside from a 4BT or something extra torquey like that)

#4 ·
4bt is a diesel....

only swap that will involve NOT redoing things like driveshafts, motor mounts etc is another 4banger.....

the 350 swap WILL need new axles, the 4.0 would be fine even with your 33 most likely, 33 - 35 is about hte max on a D35, but again depends how u drive it...my D35 lasted years on TSL 33 and abuse, it was still good when I swpped it out...for the 8.8...

in hte end the 4.0 would be cheaper just based on you can run your stock gear for the most part, the 350 swapp wil cost you axles etc

#6 ·
#9 ·
Even with swapping a 4.0, you'll be looking at a new transmission as well. If you're going to do a motor swap, do it right. Not many people want to throw in a new motor, leave the stock, weak transmission, go wheel it, break the transmission, and do it all over again.

Search more on the 4.0 Swap and the 350 Swap. In essence, both will properly require Transmission, Driveshafts, Axle's. A 350 and Transmission would be easy to find since they are like belly buttons.

#10 ·
^^ A 92 would have a Ax-15 no? lots strong enuff for a 4.0.... if your light on the throttle u could even run it behind a small V8...

but i agree if your gonan do it..... then do it find a GM 5 speed

#11 ·
^^ A 92 would have a Ax-15 no? lots strong enuff for a 4.0.... if your light on the throttle u could even run it behind a small V8...

but i agree if your gonan do it..... then do it find a GM 5 speed
He has the 2.5L

#12 ·
The 350 swap and 4.0L swap both will require complete drive trains and driveshafts. Both will require motor mount movement. The 4.Ol is easier to do because of documentation and wiring (Just add 2 injector wires and extent out the temp sensor, and install the 4.0L computer and you are done). The 4.0L is also cheaper to do because the parts are very easy to find. The question is what are you going to do with it. The 4.0L is good for almost everything here in Michigan. There is a guy Chris who parts out Jeeps near Imlay that has everything you will need on a 4.0L swap and reasonably priced(Craigslist). The D35 is pretty weak but you can button the 4.0L to it and if you are smart it will last long enough for you to do a swap and still have fun. The 350 will be a lot harder on the axle. In the end the 350 will give you more performance but the question is how much work and money do you want to put into it.

#13 ·
I'm really happy with the 4.0 swap I did about a year and a half ago. It was easy, and relatively cheap. Put everything together under $500. Found a really good deal with somebody dropping a 350 in, got everything besides the front driveshaft for $400. The other $100 was the front driveshaft and fluids. Took like 20 hours total, working alone at a slow pace and taking a lot of breaks to pick up the kid and stuff...

#19 ·
List:
Engine
Trans
Tcase
Driveshaft
ecu
2 injector wires to populate the old ecu connector or 4.0l engine wiring harness
motor mounts or reuse the 2 you have by cutting and moving

#21 ·
If you have a good machine shop nearby they can lengthen/shorten your shafts as needed for pretty cheap.

Remember this list is just the absolute basics. We can not make a complete list. It all depends on the condition of your items.

My 4.0 needs injectors, a clutch, a gasket kit, head bolts, etc...
Factor in another few hundred dollars on cleaners, oils, fluids, maintenance items, and other consumables during the procedure.

Whatever you THINK it will cost, double that and be happy when you are under budget. Or add up the basics and wonder why it cost SO much more in the end.

#22 ·
I just rebuilt my 6cyl, I had almost 600 bucks in just the bolt on parts, Gasket kit, timing chain cover, harmonic balancer, water pump, belts, rad hoses, heater hoses, spark plugs, distributer cap, rotor, plug wires, ign coil, pcv valve, clutch kit, ect. i did not want to put old used parts on a new engine build. Also look at a 4.3 v6, They are cheap to find, lighter than a 4.0/350 and make about 200 HP, of coarse you still need to do your homework and figure out what works best for you. Good Luck.

#24 ·
Ive done the 2.5 to 4.0 swap. Not that difficult but i was doing a bunch of other things while i had it apart. Make sure you have the ax-15 mount plate and Tcase shifter. They can be tricky items to find in the middle of a swap.

#32 ·
Fuel injected or carbed? I've been in the same boat as you...can't figure out what to put in place of my tired 4.2.

How much are you expecting to spend for the whole swap? I'm looking forward to seeing your progress of your build!

#34 ·
Same boat. So this winter I pulled the trigger and rebuilt my 4.2. I did the labor myself. Had it rebuilt local. Replaced all bolt on ancillaries, new heater hoses, heater core, vacuum lines, clutch kit ... After it was all running, I splurged and bought the Howell EFI kit for it. For me it was the way to go, and cheapest. I still had $2500.00 in engine, $1200.00 in EFI.
Between water pump, harmonic balancer, tune up parts, gaskets, belts, hoses, filters, fluids, paint... I had over $800.00. All that you would want new on any engine you put in.
just my .02. Good luck!

#35 ·
Same boat. So this winter I pulled the trigger and rebuilt my 4.2. I did the labor myself. Had it rebuilt local. Replaced all bolt on ancillaries, new heater hoses, heater core, vacuum lines, clutch kit ... After it was all running, I splurged and bought the Howell EFI kit for it. For me it was the way to go, and cheapest. I still had $2500.00 in engine, $1200.00 in EFI.
Between water pump, harmonic balancer, tune up parts, gaskets, belts, hoses, filters, fluids, paint... I had over $800.00. All that you would want new on any engine you put in.
just my .02. Good luck!
Yeah mines going to be on a budget sort of lol but I'm taking the tub of rhino lining the hole thing and the way I see it if I have to spend money on parts that will be new to get it done right the first time then I will go out of my budget. Working two jobs and 70 hours a week should help with all of this though

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.