JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   YJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/)
-   -   looking into swapping motors on budget (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/looking-into-swapping-motors-budget-1484913/)

cwise737 02-26-2013 11:42 AM

looking into swapping motors on budget
 
I have a 92' yj with the 5 speed 2.5, Dana 30 front 35 in back. BDS 3.5" lift with 33" Goodyear wranglers. I'm mechanically inclined and have all tools to do the swap. Would it be better and hold up if I get a 4.0 out of another jeep and the transmission would it hook up and will the axles hold up or should I just keep saving for the usual 350. I'm 18 and have a daily driver so time is not a problem. Please help me with any knowledge you have I love everything jeep

SeanB95YJ 02-26-2013 12:04 PM

IMHO, either way will run in the same ballpark price-wise.... though 350s are more plentiful... if you go with TBI it seems to be fairly simple wiring, and if you go older (carbed) it's about as simple as it gets.

large part of the price difference is how much of it you can do yourself (fab and install) and how much your initial purchase price is for the motor.

though with 33's, you're pushing the luck on your D35 even with the 4cyl.... go with an Explorer 8.8 and you'll be good for most common engine swaps (maybe aside from a 4BT or something extra torquey like that)

cwise737 02-26-2013 12:21 PM

What is a 4bt, and would the 4.0 hook up really close to the same or would I have to get new driveshaft? What all would I have to do?

giggityjeeper 02-26-2013 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwise737 (Post 15040347)
What is a 4bt, and would the 4.0 hook up really close to the same or would I have to get new driveshaft? What all would I have to do?

4bt is a diesel....

only swap that will involve NOT redoing things like driveshafts, motor mounts etc is another 4banger.....

the 350 swap WILL need new axles, the 4.0 would be fine even with your 33 most likely, 33 - 35 is about hte max on a D35, but again depends how u drive it...my D35 lasted years on TSL 33 and abuse, it was still good when I swpped it out...for the 8.8...

in hte end the 4.0 would be cheaper just based on you can run your stock gear for the most part, the 350 swapp wil cost you axles etc

cwise737 02-26-2013 12:38 PM

Can you use the 4bt with the same transmission and are the 4bt motors expensive?

giggityjeeper 02-26-2013 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwise737 (Post 15040454)
Can you use the 4bt with the same transmission and are the 4bt motors expensive?

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/4...-pics-1275843/

have a good read :tea: :tea:

its nota budget swap...... most swaps are not gonna be budget swaps, what is your budget..?

Ripper3494 02-26-2013 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwise737 (Post 15040454)
Can you use the 4bt with the same transmission and are the 4bt motors expensive?

Bt swap is not a cheap option. The engine itself is cheap but it's a heavy pig and a front axle swap along with MUCH stiffer suspension is necessary.

Sent from my hacked Kindle Fire using JeepForum

Ripper3494 02-26-2013 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by giggityjeeper (Post 15040526)

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/4...-pics-1275843/

have a good read :tea: :tea:

its nota budget swap...... most swaps are not gonna be budget swaps, what is your budget..?

Beat me to it

Sent from my hacked Kindle Fire using JeepForum

cstone94 02-26-2013 12:56 PM

Even with swapping a 4.0, you'll be looking at a new transmission as well. If you're going to do a motor swap, do it right. Not many people want to throw in a new motor, leave the stock, weak transmission, go wheel it, break the transmission, and do it all over again.

Search more on the 4.0 Swap and the 350 Swap. In essence, both will properly require Transmission, Driveshafts, Axle's. A 350 and Transmission would be easy to find since they are like belly buttons.

giggityjeeper 02-26-2013 12:59 PM

^^ A 92 would have a Ax-15 no? lots strong enuff for a 4.0.... if your light on the throttle u could even run it behind a small V8...

but i agree if your gonan do it..... then do it find a GM 5 speed

cstone94 02-26-2013 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by giggityjeeper (Post 15040630)
^^ A 92 would have a Ax-15 no? lots strong enuff for a 4.0.... if your light on the throttle u could even run it behind a small V8...

but i agree if your gonan do it..... then do it find a GM 5 speed

He has the 2.5L

Que89YJ 02-26-2013 01:11 PM

The 350 swap and 4.0L swap both will require complete drive trains and driveshafts. Both will require motor mount movement. The 4.Ol is easier to do because of documentation and wiring (Just add 2 injector wires and extent out the temp sensor, and install the 4.0L computer and you are done). The 4.0L is also cheaper to do because the parts are very easy to find. The question is what are you going to do with it. The 4.0L is good for almost everything here in Michigan. There is a guy Chris who parts out Jeeps near Imlay that has everything you will need on a 4.0L swap and reasonably priced(Craigslist). The D35 is pretty weak but you can button the 4.0L to it and if you are smart it will last long enough for you to do a swap and still have fun. The 350 will be a lot harder on the axle. In the end the 350 will give you more performance but the question is how much work and money do you want to put into it.

Hghgrad 02-26-2013 01:17 PM

I'm really happy with the 4.0 swap I did about a year and a half ago. It was easy, and relatively cheap. Put everything together under $500. Found a really good deal with somebody dropping a 350 in, got everything besides the front driveshaft for $400. The other $100 was the front driveshaft and fluids. Took like 20 hours total, working alone at a slow pace and taking a lot of breaks to pick up the kid and stuff...

cwise737 02-26-2013 01:18 PM

Yes I know Chris have dealt with him multiple times and had nothing but success. He has motors and I have enough jeep parts I could trade him to get a motor and trans I'm just lookin for what my options and other peoples opinions are

cwise737 02-26-2013 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hghgrad (Post 15040752)
I'm really happy with the 4.0 swap I did about a year and a half ago. It was easy, and relatively cheap. Put everything together under $500. Found a really good deal with somebody dropping a 350 in, got everything besides the front driveshaft for $400. The other $100 was the front driveshaft and fluids. Took like 20 hours total, working alone at a slow pace and taking a lot of breaks to pick up the kid and stuff...

That helps a ton I will keep everyone updated with the choice I'm going to go with more knowledge and ideas would help


The time now is 06:31 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.