Looking for help, as to what ive screwed up - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Looking for help, as to what ive screwed up

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 06-07-2013, 10:22 AM   #1
snag
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Looking for help, as to what ive screwed up

Got a 5 hour trip comming up and my heep wasnt idiling well. 1990 4.2 stock carter no mods. So i pulled the venturi assembly to clean and replaced the spark plugs. After that the jeep has a heasitation or stutter right away at low rpm say under 2k. when driving if you have you foot into it its ok its just the first 2-3 seconds. So i have now replaced wires rotor and cap, reset idle and timing, and it still hesitates. i cant find any vaccumes i knocked off. Im heading out to pull the venturi and make sure the little ball is still in there.

Any ideas on what ive done?? or where to look. other thank the idle it was runninng well before
Thanks
Mike

snag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2013, 10:26 AM   #2
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

it sounds like you have hit everything for normal checking when that is the trouble. maybe there is a tear in one of the gaskets you removed?
Unread 06-07-2013, 10:32 AM   #3
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Don't people drill those out on the Carter's? I'd say a gasket too though.
Unread 06-07-2013, 01:46 PM   #4
snag
1990 YJ Wrangler 

checked the ventrui and the ball was there and the gasket seemed ok. Forgot to add that it starts hard now as well, turns over 4-5 sec before it takes. Gonna go check the coil now see if it may have went bad.
Unread 06-07-2013, 02:37 PM   #5
snag
1990 YJ Wrangler 

New coil did nothing to improve the stutter. Gonna check the carb linkage and see if i did somthing there.
Unread 06-07-2013, 02:40 PM   #6
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Timing is off. If your coil goes out, it makes no spark. Adjust your timing with a vacuum gauge
Unread 06-08-2013, 07:46 AM   #7
snag
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Well i think you on to something with the timing, im not familiar with timing with vaccum guage, i did try advancing it a bit by eye and the stutter seems to be less. didnt find much on a search as to how to vaccum time, Anyone point me in the right directions.
Unread 08-08-2013, 05:14 AM   #8
snag
1990 YJ Wrangler 

REVISIT, Well a month has passed and i have been pretty much just living with it. Stutter is bad. Real bad untill it warms up. Got a rich smell to the exhaust. Leading me to the choke possibly. I have been all over with the timing and there is no getting rid of it with timing. Open to all advise. (on fixing this carb and not switching to a diff carb)
Unread 08-08-2013, 07:08 AM   #9
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

is your accelerator pump working?
Unread 08-08-2013, 07:30 AM   #10
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

When you pulled the venturies did you do any other things? Maybe you left off something or plugged something. I had issues with my carter for about a year before I gave up and went MC.
If you are sold on keeping carter then break down and do a complete rebuild of it. Being meticulous about getting everthing back into the right place and making sure all the passages are clear.

Good Luck
vadslram is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2013, 07:31 AM   #11
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

You may have bent one or both of your jet needles when you put the top back on the carb. Pull and make sure they are straight and entering the jets as you put the top back on.

And if running E90 fuel, you should drill the bleeds out to .032.
Unread 08-08-2013, 08:46 AM   #12
TheWagoneer

sounds like either accel pump problem or clogged jet
TheWagoneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2013, 09:29 AM   #13
snag
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks much ill tear it apart tommorw and see if i didnt get something right. Sounds like i should drill out the bleeds as well. If its all good there ll move onto the accell pump
Thanks again

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.