Looking for HD Dana 30 axle shaft upgrade - need part number - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Looking for HD Dana 30 axle shaft upgrade - need part number

Great prices on seating!--Oconee Off-RoadTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGTJ, YJ & LJ Drop Down Tail Gate Conversion Kit

Unread 02-03-2006, 11:52 PM   #1
Mark_ZZ3
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Looking for HD Dana 30 axle shaft upgrade - need part number

Looks like I have to replace the passenger side axle shaft since it is leaking for the second time! Thought I could get away with a new seal, but there must be pitting or a grove on the shaft.

So what to do?

- Buy a stock replacement for a 1991 YJ?
- Buy a stock replacement for a 1995 YJ (with 297 ujoints)
- Put in aftermarket HD unit?

I have looked for replacement for the Vac-Disconnect passenger side, but everyone sells the full shaft from the XJ. Warn has some, but they require the hub conversion.

Does anyone make HD replacements that retain the Vac Disc. and the stock hubs?

Mark.

Mark_ZZ3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2006, 07:15 AM   #2
kcdee00
1995 YJ Wrangler 

randy's ring and pinion

When I broke the ears on the passenger side shaft, I went with the vaccuum eliminator parts from randy's ring and pinion....it comes with everything you need and I got a chromoly shaft with it....I dont have their # right now, but I'm sure you can find it on the net....give them a call, real nice to deal with, and see if they can help
Unread 02-04-2006, 09:21 AM   #3
Helldorado Customs
Addicted...

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_ZZ3
Looks like I have to replace the passenger side axle shaft since it is leaking for the second time! Thought I could get away with a new seal, but there must be pitting or a grove on the shaft.

So what to do?

- Buy a stock replacement for a 1991 YJ?
- Buy a stock replacement for a 1995 YJ (with 297 ujoints)
- Put in aftermarket HD unit?

I have looked for replacement for the Vac-Disconnect passenger side, but everyone sells the full shaft from the XJ. Warn has some, but they require the hub conversion.

Does anyone make HD replacements that retain the Vac Disc. and the stock hubs?

Mark.
Try http://superioraxle.com/htmlfolder/frontaxle.html

They don't sell retail...but that would give you a part number you can give one of their distributors.
Helldorado Customs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2006, 10:08 AM   #4
Mark_ZZ3
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I've checked superior axle and a couple others, and the only listing they have is for the long shaft that replaced the vac-disc. I was hoping to find a stock replacment with the disconnect.

I'd prefer to keep the vac-disc as I drive it every day (save on gas and vibrations). And I don't really want to spend the money (just yet) on a hub conversion.

So it looks like a 1995 YJ part is my best choice.

Mark.
Unread 02-04-2006, 12:52 PM   #5
heavyhitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_ZZ3
I've checked superior axle and a couple others, and the only listing they have is for the long shaft that replaced the vac-disc. I was hoping to find a stock replacment with the disconnect.

I'd prefer to keep the vac-disc as I drive it every day (save on gas and vibrations). And I don't really want to spend the money (just yet) on a hub conversion.

So it looks like a 1995 YJ part is my best choice.

Mark.

The two peice axle does not save a whole lot in gas if any. I would eliminate that disconect in a heartbeat. And never look back.

93 YJ almighty 4banger, 31" bfg all terrains on 15x8 ar black steelies, 1.25" PA shackle lift, pioneer stereo system, herculined tub, TJ Flares, Rock Sliders, custom front & rear bumpers,
heavyhitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2006, 11:57 PM   #6
Mark_ZZ3
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I agree that eliminating the vac disc is a good thing, however my front driveshaft angle is not great for high speeds.

When I installed my lift, I lifted the engine, lowered the transfer case (slightly) to accomodate the rear driveline angle. It runs smooth now. However in 4 hi, anything about 35MPH you get a vibration.

So eliminating the Vac Disc would also mean fixing the front driveline angle ... most likely a SYE and put the transfer case back to where it was.

Mark.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.