looking for a good clutch - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > looking for a good clutch

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 01-20-2002, 08:08 AM   #1
my litte red yj

looking for a good clutch

what is a good one i do not go heavy off road, i go up lot's of hill i am running a 2.5 4;10 gears my clutch i pulled out of mine was a cheap one a luk clutch never heard of it

my litte red yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2002, 08:59 AM   #2
eltj

In my experiece the center force is nice but doesnt last long if your hard on it. The ram clutches seem to do realy well and are genrally pretty cheap at places like summit. You have a 4 bangger so chances are you are going to be slipping it a littl more on the trails so try to find one that has more metalic in it for longgevity. One thing I found that works good is finding a good clutch shop in you area to build you one to suit your needs. I had to do this on a mustang I had to get one that would hold for more than 3 mounths.
eltj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2002, 10:26 AM   #3
iJeep

LUK is a really good clutch from my experience. When I bought my CJ5 with some local auto parts store clutch it was hard to push and burnt up in a couple months. I bought a new LUK RepSet pressure plate, clutch disc and throwout bearing. It has worked perfectly since.
FWIW: Centerforce is just a modified LUK clutch.
iJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2002, 05:32 PM   #4
my litte red yj

what is the life of a clutch ,doing normal driving no heavy off road
my litte red yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2002, 06:07 PM   #5
OldJeepguy
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally posted by my litte red yj:
what is the life of a clutch ,doing normal driving no heavy off road
Should be able to get 70 - 100k out of a properly driven clutch.
Unread 01-20-2002, 08:37 PM   #6
jpwranglr9

i had problems in the past smoking new clutches without much pedal. then i put in the centerforce 2 and it works great. i have never smoked a clutch yet and it has always helt tight. that could explain my rear axle problems . i have had it in for about 2 years now and 20,000 miles and works like new.
1995 YJ ,SOA with 4" procomp front 3.5" BDS rear 1" shackle rear, custom stearing, 35x12.50x15 pro-comp MTs, warn xd9000i, on-board air from A/C, dana 44 rear and 30 front with 4.56, powertrax no-spin rear, custom disks rear/trutrac front, warn front shafts, HD SYE kit, HD front and rear driveshafts, Warn 4X flairs, PIAA 520 ligts and on and on and on :)
jpwranglr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2002, 12:54 AM   #7
Billy Badass

well for your situation, a stock clutch from any auto parts store should do. But a centerforce is an awsome clutch if you ask me. I have used them until the truck died, over 100,000 miles on it with no slip. Center force 1 or 2 wold suit you but if you never want to change it again, buy the 3. You can't go wrong with centforce is concerned, but a borgue warner clutch is also a good clutch. I ran one with 39, and it never failed and I wheeled the hell out of it. But ram clutches are also good, so i have heard, but i have never used it personaly. But just a name brand clutch should work for you if your tight for cash.

But if you don't brak it you need to find a better playground.

88' YJ 3" body, 32x11.50 ProComp Mud Terrain. JKBII Carb Mod. Nutter Bypass and a new ignition. White Faced Gauges with blue backlighting. Sone to come 4.10 gears and lockers.
Billy Badass is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.