Looking for family style roll bar - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Looking for family style roll bar

The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughOconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wd

Unread 08-22-2011, 02:35 PM   #1
jhumphrey
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Looking for family style roll bar

Hey all,

Sorry if this is the wrong area for this but...anyone know where to get a yj family style roll bar? I have the sport bar on my 89, but want to swap it out.

I've checked my area (craigslist), but no luck.

Thanks.

Unread 08-22-2011, 02:51 PM   #2
swarren
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I found a few on ebay you might also check the classifieds on here that where I got mine.
swarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2011, 02:53 PM   #3
jhumphrey
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarren
I found a few on ebay you might also check the classifieds on here that where I got mine.
I've checked eBay a few times without success. I've browsed the classified ads here...no luck. I'm just looking for ideas
Unread 08-22-2011, 03:21 PM   #4
swarren
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I found one on ebay today with out the bars that go to the windshield

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Jeep-...item2a0f436172
Unread 08-22-2011, 03:27 PM   #5
swarren
1992 YJ Wrangler 

There are three family style roll bars on ebay.
Unread 08-22-2011, 04:08 PM   #6
jhumphrey
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarren View Post
There are three family style roll bars on ebay.
That one and the others Ive seen on ebay are local pickups only. Since they arent close to me, Id need it shipped
jhumphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2011, 04:13 PM   #7
Firefyter-Emt
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Can you gain access to a welder? Here is a pre-bent and ready to weld in replacement arms. I checked local and it was about $60 to $80 to have them made, but in 1.75". I think I can use the race car padding with the stock covers, but that needs to be checked before I have them made, or order these bars. Plus, you don't have to mess with rusted bolts if you can weld it in place while still in the Jeep. Maybe pre-paint the bars, and then just spray touch up the ends after welding.

http://extremecustomparts.com/i-6239...-cage-kit.html
Firefyter-Emt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2011, 04:20 PM   #8
clarkjdg
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah the shipping on it would be more than the roll bar cost, done been there. I looked for a good while before I found mine. Just checking, do you have a TN. Jeep club on the internet thats how I found mine here and it was close enough here in Texas to me that I could go get it, I wish you Luck it took me a while but it was well worth the wait.
(o) )-(o) )-*-) )
88 YJ, Smittybilt SRC Front, Side, and Rear Armor, Family Roll Bars, TJ Flares, and Half Doors
4"Leaf, 2"Body, and 1"Leaf Lift, 4.10 Geared Dana 30 Posi with Cable Engage, Ford 8.8 Posi, With 33s BFGs MT KM2
Everything "Black" Inner, Under, and outer "Black" on the Body is "Bed Linered" and I will be Thru the day that I Die!
clarkjdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2011, 04:25 PM   #9
Firefyter-Emt
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Did you go to the link I posted? For pre-formed bars, ready to be welded in: $139.00 and shipping to me in Connecticut is just $31.44. $150 to $300 seems to be the going price and then you have to hope to find one local at a good price. With access to a 4.5" grinder and a mig, this is a easy job.
Unread 08-22-2011, 04:46 PM   #10
ssyj94
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Come to NY and you can have mine for a case of lol
Unread 08-22-2011, 06:17 PM   #11
jhumphrey
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkjdg View Post
Yeah the shipping on it would be more than the roll bar cost, done been there. I looked for a good while before I found mine. Just checking, do you have a TN. Jeep club on the internet thats how I found mine here and it was close enough here in Texas to me that I could go get it, I wish you Luck it took me a while but it was well worth the wait.
Thanks for the PM, Im looking into that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefyter-Emt View Post
Did you go to the link I posted? For pre-formed bars, ready to be welded in: $139.00 and shipping to me in Connecticut is just $31.44. $150 to $300 seems to be the going price and then you have to hope to find one local at a good price. With access to a 4.5" grinder and a mig, this is a easy job.
I checked it out. What do you do with your sport bars, grind them off? I have access to a welder, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssyj94 View Post
Come to NY and you can have mine for a case of lol
You know, that doesn't sound to bad Gas up there and back is what a roll bar would cost + shipping. A case of is well worth it to me

On a side note, does anyone know if a hard top from a cj7 would work with the family style bar? I think my current hard top is from a cj7, not a yj. So if I switch out the bar, would I lose my hardtop in the process?
Unread 08-22-2011, 07:00 PM   #12
Firefyter-Emt
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Yes, you just grind off the old bars leaving the mount plate on the fender wells.

As for the hard top, it will fit without any problem, I am sure. There is plenty of room for it to fit in there. The bars are forward from the tail gate quite a bit, and not straight out. The top is easy to tell, the CJ will have a lot of material all around the lift gate, the YJ has hinges on the top of the glass and just a lower fiberglass strip maybe 8" tall along the bottom. Plus the CJ top will not have the air vents on the side behind the window's.

Here is a CJ liftgate, they can not interchange with a YJ liftgate on the same top. (The tops can, with a little gate issue, but they bolt on)
Unread 08-22-2011, 07:13 PM   #13
jhumphrey
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Yes, you just grind off the old bars leaving the mount plate on the fender wells.

As for the hard top, it will fit without any problem, I am sure. There is plenty of room for it to fit in there. The bars are forward from the tail gate quite a bit, and not straight out. The top is easy to tell, the CJ will have a lot of material all around the lift gate, the YJ has hinges on the top of the glass and just a lower fiberglass strip maybe 8" tall along the bottom. Plus the CJ top will not have the air vents on the side behind the window's.

Here is a CJ liftgate, they can not interchange with a YJ liftgate on the same top. (The tops can, with a little gate issue, but they bolt on)
Thanks. I have a guy in my area that's interested in swapping bars - my sport style for his family style - I just want to make sure that my hardtop, which is from a CJ7, will still work. I plan to put a soft topper on for 3 seasons and run the hardtop in the winter.

So, just to make sure, the hard top will work with the family style bar?
Unread 08-22-2011, 07:22 PM   #14
Firefyter-Emt
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhumphrey View Post
Thanks. I have a guy in my area that's interested in swapping bars - my sport style for his family style - I just want to make sure that my hardtop, which is from a CJ7, will still work. I plan to put a soft topper on for 3 seasons and run the hardtop in the winter.

So, just to make sure, the hard top will work with the family style bar?
I have not done it myself, but given how much room is around the rear bars for space, it is almost a 100% given that it will fit.
Unread 08-22-2011, 07:33 PM   #15
jhumphrey
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
I have not done it myself, but given how much room is around the rear bars for space, it is almost a 100% given that it will fit.
As it turns out, the guy that wants to trade is near my home

That gives me a chance to try out the bar with my top. If it works, we're going to trade, which would work out great. I dont see a need to keep my sport bar when I have the family style. Does anyone else?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.