looking for cheap 8.8 parts. help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > looking for cheap 8.8 parts. help

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 09-08-2013, 08:22 PM   #1
Damon1995
1994 YJ Wrangler 

looking for cheap 8.8 parts. help

im looking to buy cheap u bolts, nuts and spring plates for my 8.8 swap. this is all i need i dont need a whole kit with shock mounts and perches i dont need that stuff i just need 4 u bolts, 4 nuts and 2 spring plates on the cheap

Damon1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2013, 09:22 PM   #2
SeanB95YJ
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

check local spring shops for the U-bolts... most of them bend them up as needed. probably a few bucks a piece.
for the U-bolt plates, all I can think of for cheap is a junk yard.
Sean B. - Schenectady, NY - 95 YJ, 350/700r4/NP241, JB Shorty SYE, 8.8 rear, 2" BDS, 1" homebrew shackles, Daystar 1" BL, TJ flares, 35x12.50 General Grabber AT2 on 15x10 Bart D-Truckers, Polyshield polycarbonate windshield, HD over/under crossover steering
swap/build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/a...hread-1542284/
SeanB95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2013, 09:24 PM   #3
JeepinJeremy
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damon1995 View Post
im looking to buy cheap u bolts, nuts and spring plates for my 8.8 swap. this is all i need i dont need a whole kit with shock mounts and perches i dont need that stuff i just need 4 u bolts, 4 nuts and 2 spring plates on the cheap
So you know thats pretty much a whole kit. Your not going to save any coin buying single parts. Just suck it up and buy a kit. Check out ruffstuff.com they got you covered plus they have discount codes that will save you some coin.
JeepinJeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2013, 09:59 PM   #4
Sparrows
It's coming...

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinJeremy View Post

So you know thats pretty much a whole kit. Your not going to save any coin buying single parts. Just suck it up and buy a kit. Check out ruffstuff.com they got you covered plus they have discount codes that will save you some coin.
I used ruffstuff and regretted it. I can not recommend their 8.8 kit. The perches are too long and too thick and had to be remanned by me, the shock perches could only really be mounted one way without having the shock can banging on the axle tube limiting options, and they sent me two bad ubolts that had threads cut incorrectly. I had to buy two parts store ubolts just to finish. Huge thumbs down and huge waste of money.

I ended up ordering MORE stuff and pretty much redid my whole 8.8 swap and lost over $200 in the process.

Cheers
Sparrows is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2013, 05:32 AM   #5
95YamJam
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I got my u bolts locally. Bout $22. Local spring shop. I got my perches from urbinemachine. Those were less than $30. I did mill those out some to place the axle closer to the spring but they are great. Made my own every thing else.
Unread 09-09-2013, 05:51 AM   #6
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrows View Post

I used ruffstuff and regretted it. I can not recommend their 8.8 kit. The perches are too long and too thick and had to be remanned by me, the shock perches could only really be mounted one way without having the shock can banging on the axle tube limiting options, and they sent me two bad ubolts that had threads cut incorrectly. I had to buy two parts store ubolts just to finish. Huge thumbs down and huge waste of money.

I ended up ordering MORE stuff and pretty much redid my whole 8.8 swap and lost over $200 in the process.

Cheers
I believe you, but I'm a bit shocked. I've used the RuffStuff kits many times and I've always been beyond pleased.

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2013, 07:13 AM   #7
SeanB95YJ
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

if you can't locate the u-bolt plates at a junk yard (or if the ones available are all rusted to oblivion) you should also be able to get those from the same spring shop that does the u-bolts.

alternatively... for a "kit", just to add to your possibilities, I'd say ECGS... http://eastcoastgearsupply.com/
they do the whole "kit" with u-bolts, plates, shock mounts and perches (for the perches, specify spring under (standard length perch) or spring-over (much longer perch)
their kit is $135 http://eastcoastgearsupply.com/i-498...-swap-kit.html

if you REALLY don't want (or can't afford... we all understand things can add up) the whole kit, I'd call or e-mail ECGS (or any of the other vendors mentioned above) and see if they'll sell you JUST the u-bolts and plates
Sean B. - Schenectady, NY - 95 YJ, 350/700r4/NP241, JB Shorty SYE, 8.8 rear, 2" BDS, 1" homebrew shackles, Daystar 1" BL, TJ flares, 35x12.50 General Grabber AT2 on 15x10 Bart D-Truckers, Polyshield polycarbonate windshield, HD over/under crossover steering
swap/build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/a...hread-1542284/
SeanB95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2013, 07:53 AM   #8
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Max View Post
I believe you, but I'm a bit shocked. I've used the RuffStuff kits many times and I've always been beyond pleased.

Max
A little shocked too.
I understand the spring perches, they are made for SOA and must be cut down for SUA.
The u bolts though is surprising.
Did you get a hold of them and tell them your problems?
Unread 09-09-2013, 08:42 AM   #9
tom_sprecher
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanB95YJ View Post
if you can't locate the u-bolt plates at a junk yard (or if the ones available are all rusted to oblivion) you should also be able to get those from the same spring shop that does the u-bolts.

alternatively... for a "kit", just to add to your possibilities, I'd say ECGS... http://eastcoastgearsupply.com/
they do the whole "kit" with u-bolts, plates, shock mounts and perches (for the perches, specify spring under (standard length perch) or spring-over (much longer perch)
their kit is $135 http://eastcoastgearsupply.com/i-498...-swap-kit.html

if you REALLY don't want (or can't afford... we all understand things can add up) the whole kit, I'd call or e-mail ECGS (or any of the other vendors mentioned above) and see if they'll sell you JUST the u-bolts and plates
I used the ECGS kit above and it was pretty good except I had to grind the perches to match the axle tube OD.
Unread 09-09-2013, 08:45 AM   #10
Ripper3494
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Cheers
as much as i like the company i have to agree with your review of them. great group of guys, but they need to test their products to see if they actually fit the vehicle layout, not just he axle tubes.

i get everything from East Coast Gear Supply and ARTEC. both are excellent companies with fantastic products
1997 ZJ limited - BONE stock
2003 tj - 4in skyjacker, 33" mickey thompsons
my on board alternator/welder write up
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/alternator-welder-write-up-1301614/[/url]
my tj 1/2 doors on a yj write up
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/tj-uppers-yj-half-doors-hard-top-installation-1417686/[/url]
RC vs BDS
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/rough-country-vs-bds-1461555/[/url]
Ripper3494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2013, 08:56 AM   #11
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Cheers
Thats crazy! My kit from Ruffstuff was great. I think they automatically send the SOA kit so I called after I ordered and told them I was going SUA.

I agree with TSE, did you let them know there was an issue?

August YJOTM

Exiled Offroad - Colorado
Randonexplosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2013, 09:16 AM   #12
Sparrows
It's coming...

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Max View Post

Max
That is why I was also shocked. So many great reviews here on JF, that's why I went with them. That and they are a bit cheaper than their competitors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSEJEEPERS View Post
A little shocked too.
I understand the spring perches, they are made for SOA and must be cut down for SUA.
The u bolts though is surprising.
Did you get a hold of them and tell them your problems?
Yeah, the u-bolts were really frustrating. Out of the box, one leg on two ubolts had threads that were cut incorrectly. The best way to describe it is that the threads looked "stretched" on one side. Almost a course thread vs. fine thread. A nut wouldn't even thread on them at all. I dicked with one for over an hour, cut it down, filed the threads, honed the tip, and nothing worked so I finally gave up and bought two at the parts store down the street...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randonexplosion View Post
Thats crazy! My kit from Ruffstuff was great. I think they automatically send the SOA kit so I called after I ordered and told them I was going SUA.

I agree with TSE, did you let them know there was an issue?
I didn't know they sold an SOA/SUA kit. Their website doesn't mention this...

I called once and wasn't able to get a hold of anyone, and honestly, as I hurried to get new parts out and finish the project, I forgot about it until right now.

I was honestly displeased with every single part of the 8.8 kit they sent. Others may have had better luck, but I wouldn't buy their stuff again.

Cheers
Sparrows is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2013, 10:03 AM   #13
djwrangler
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Reuse use the 8.8 perches and spring plates for the shock mounts. Source a set of u bolts locally. I'm getting my brake line hardware and 1310 flange adapter from ecgs. I'm a cheap bastard.
djwrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2013, 10:20 AM   #14
StanF
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damon1995 View Post
If you want to go cheap, can you just use the 8.8 U-bolts and spring plates?

I bought perches for $13 from JEGS with free shipping.

Check out my 8.8 build thread - maybe you'll find something help there. Look in my sig.
Unread 09-10-2013, 08:38 AM   #15
StanF
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Also, you can get a 1310 Yolk Adapter off of a 1991-1994 Explorer from a salvage yard. Earlier Explorers with drum brakes had the 1310 Yolk. Later Disc Brake Explorers have the 1350 Yolk.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.