Looking at a '94 Sahara w/180k? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Looking at a '94 Sahara w/180k?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 02-13-2011, 11:04 AM   #1
JeffR

Looking at a '94 Sahara w/180k?

I've been away from Jeeps for quite awhile, but I'm looking to possibly pick up an old one cheap for a a daily driver ( commute will be very short, 1-3 miles ).

I've found a '94 Sahara manual trans with 180k miles. It's the original owner and from the pictures - looks to be in pretty great shape. This is a TX jeep, so I'm not sure about rust - I'm waiting for more detailed pics.

I've owned a '94 Sahara ( auto ), '98 ( 4cyl ), 2000 Cherokee ( 4.0L ) and '06 Commander ( 3.7L ). All of which were great vehicles, and no engine or transmission problems.

The difference is that I purchased all those vehicles brand new, so I know exactly how they were treated & maintained.

I'm obviously cautious buying a 17 year old vehicle with 180k miles on it.

Like I said - if I drive it daily it will be very short commutes, but I will have a 600 mile round trip every week or every other week. I want something reliable.

What should I look for when I go to check this vehicle out? Thanks!

JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2011, 11:54 AM   #2
bharris68
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I have a little 2.5 that just rolled 200K, it still runs like a swiss watch. Depending on the location in Texas you could be by the sea, which could cause some salt corrosion, etc. But, if you like the pictures, and this is a one owner car, check the service records and decide based on that. Your commute is like mine, hell - I could (and should) walk or bike to work, so if that's a problem you can always turf it for awhile

The 600 mile round trip I'd do once a week in mine right now if necessary and never worry for a moment.

Just my .02
bharris68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2011, 10:32 AM   #3
JeffR

Yeah, we're in northern TX, so no problems with salt. I will be biking to/from work every day unless there is rain ( which is hardly ever ). The owner is asking $5k for it. I see prices on these vary drastically.
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2011, 01:18 PM   #4
southerngirl
1995 YJ Wrangler 

5 sounds steep for rolling up to 200k...I paid 4500 for mine and it only had 115xxx, newer and the 4.0. thats my .02

Nightcrew, i guess :)
southerngirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2011, 05:16 PM   #5
94yjsahara
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I bought a 94 sahara almost exactly 1 year ago with 179,000 KMs for $1500 CAD.

minor issues that came with it - no hard top, no full doors, only bikini top, half doors with soft windows, bit of rust on the windshield in the typical location, wipers not working.

wipers ended up being just a faulty intermittent box. have had to get a new flasher unit a few times for the signals.

had to replace water pump, weld on a shock mount that busted through, but other then that, no other problems yet other then a cracked header.

even with a hardtop/full doors, I think 5k is expensive with that mileage. You can spend just a little more and get a tj for that price.... haggle with him, I dont think he expects to sell it for that much.
94yjsahara is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.