looking at a 89 or 91 grand wagoneer for donor vehicle - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > looking at a 89 or 91 grand wagoneer for donor vehicle

Jeep Liberty Wheel Bearing & Hub - FrontSAVE BIG: Christmas in July Sale!Jeep Liberty Window Regulator

Unread 07-12-2010, 08:22 AM   #1
mark12010
1990 YJ Wrangler 

looking at a 89 or 91 grand wagoneer for donor vehicle

I have a line on 2 grand wagoneers one a 91 and the other a 89. my question is can I swap the entire drivetrain into my 90YJ (engine,tranny and TC) besides motor mounts what else should i need. Also what is involved in swapping out the rear axle (D44) any major issues there? I have a great running 4.0 in there now but I think I am getting the urge for a V8.

Unread 07-12-2010, 06:58 PM   #2
mark12010
1990 YJ Wrangler 

No one has any input here???
Unread 07-12-2010, 07:11 PM   #3
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Personally, I'd avoid it like the plague.

The Dana 44 swap is okay I guess, but then you have the 6 lug issue to deal with (6 lug rear, 5 lug front) or swap both axles and spend a LOT of time swapping out a Dana 30 that is a great axle to begin with.

The AMC 360 shares nothing with the Dodge 360, so parts are limited & it's never been a "powerhouse" V8 even on it's best day.

IMO, if you want a V8, find a 5.7L Chevy with 700r4/NP231 combo and get a Ford 8.8 rear axle. You'll get a lot more bang for your buck.

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2010, 08:23 PM   #4
MLJeeper
1988 YJ Wrangler 

That 360 in the waggy is a serious gas PIG. The two i had averaged 9 mpg. 3 speed with no OD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Any video of the sound?
MLJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2010, 09:24 PM   #5
MoparFreak69
1990 YJ Wrangler 

From what I have heard from local shops around here you can take a D44 down to 5x4.5 so you can keep your wheels and tires you currently have. Take that with a grain of salt though as I have yet to even start the search and serious research part of that swap. I am going to do D44's on both ends and call it a day despite all the bashing they receive. I will never run a 4 letter F word in any of my rigs so my only axle options are Chrysler corporate (8 3/4 isnt a bad axle at all) or Danas. 44's see a nice balance between power handling and size for what I want to do. Besides I like to think that while wheeling I am generally pretty easy on my rigs so I bet my D35 would even last under my 5.2 for quite some time.
As far as the AMC 360, its a great motor. Sure there isnt a ton of aftermarket support for it anymore, but you can still do a lot of things to them and make good power, mostly down low where you want it to be anyway. If you play your cards right you can get an AMC that has a 727 behind it. What that means is you can throw a later trans (OD 42RH anybody?) behind it and give it a chance of making some better fuel mileage for you. Basically it all amounts to how much research do you want to do and how much effort are you willing to put into the swap.
And for those suggesting a GM drivetrain swap, take a minute and think, why are they so plentiful in the junkyards? Leave em where they lay (and belong) and go with a brand known for something other than 100K mile throw away toy cars.
[SIZE="5"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/myj-build-2-years-ago-today-1197236"]MYj Build[/URL][/SIZE]
MoparFreak69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.