Looking a 8.8 to Purchase, Questions??? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Looking a 8.8 to Purchase, Questions???

UCF Black Friday SaleLOCKERS!!!! - ARB, Auburn, Detroit, Eaton, OX, Spartan, YuRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 01-01-2012, 09:40 PM   #31
panaceabeachbum
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HanksRide View Post
The 200.00 was just to purchase the gears..
I bought ford ring and pinion with instal kit for $99 nib on ebay

panaceabeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2012, 10:08 PM   #32
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thanks yj87ben, I will keep that in mind in the future.. I do visit the vendor section of jeep forum and spend a lot of time on CL and eBay.. I think I just have bad luck sometimes finding what I am looking for especially CL..
Try down loading Mozzilla Firefox as your web browser. Then download crazedlist.org to search on CL.

You can do a search on CL in multiple cities or even states for what ever you want.
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2012, 10:12 PM   #33
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
How are Precision Gears, anyone have an opinion?? There is something strange about this 3.73 ratio, they are like 2X higher than any other ratio. I am assuming it is because of lack of demand...

Jeep4X4center.com has the Precision Gears for $174.00, that is like 100 bucks cheaper than most I have found..
Wow just going back and re reading this and that's about the going rate for gears anywhere. I bought my 4.10 for about $200. Had I known someone was going to want 3.73 I woulda kept my old ones and shipped them to Arkansas. Instead I used them as a weight to keep a tarp down on a load I took to the dump.

Overall the price we pay for gears is about the cost for a junkyard axle anyway so think long and hard about a full carrier locker while you're pricing it out.
Unread 01-01-2012, 10:33 PM   #34
HanksRide
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Wow just going back and re reading this and that's about the going rate for gears anywhere. I bought my 4.10 for about $200. Had I known someone was going to want 3.73 I woulda kept my old ones and shipped them to Arkansas. Instead I used them as a weight to keep a tarp down on a load I took to the dump.

Overall the price we pay for gears is about the cost for a junkyard axle anyway so think long and hard about a full carrier locker while you're pricing it out.
Don't know a lot about lockers so what are my advantages of a full carrier locker versus the Aussie Lunch box locker I have?? I assume they are stronger but are there other advantages also?? Are full carrier lockers always selectable or do they also come in auto-locker style??
3500 Mile Road Trip With Daughter
Daughters 04 TJ Build Thread
My-95-YJ Build Thread
HanksRide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2012, 10:46 PM   #35
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Full carrier lockers are not only stronger but they come in every flavor imaginable. Everything from a clutch based limited slip to the full Detroit auto locker to selectables and combo selectables (ECTED) back to torsen based limited slips.

My experience (through my Dana 35's) is that the carriers are much stronger in these aftermarket differentials than the standard spider housing from the factory. If you're going to go through all the work to install gears I would strongly consider saving up a little money and installing one of the aforementioned aftermarket carriers. Which one is based purely on your driving experience. I personally have a Detroit truetrac which is the granddaddy of limited slips and bridges the gap between standard limited slip and a full locker. Some may argue in theory but I'll defend it to the death with EXPERIENCE. They're 100 percent invisible on the street unlike their full Detroit brothers and pretty surprising offroad. In clay where most get stuck, it really shines. I just took mine to the local SVRA this morning and didn't have any problems losing traction in the rear. Your needs may vary but for a DD, the truetrac works great.
Unread 01-01-2012, 11:02 PM   #36
HanksRide
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Full carrier lockers are not only stronger but they come in every flavor imaginable. Everything from a clutch based limited slip to the full Detroit auto locker to selectables and combo selectables (ECTED) back to torsen based limited slips.

My experience (through my Dana 35's) is that the carriers are much stronger in these aftermarket differentials than the standard spider housing from the factory. If you're going to go through all the work to install gears I would strongly consider saving up a little money and installing one of the aforementioned aftermarket carriers. Which one is based purely on your driving experience. I personally have a Detroit truetrac which is the granddaddy of limited slips and bridges the gap between standard limited slip and a full locker. Some may argue in theory but I'll defend it to the death with EXPERIENCE. They're 100 percent invisible on the street unlike their full Detroit brothers and pretty surprising offroad. In clay where most get stuck, it really shines. I just took mine to the local SVRA this morning and didn't have any problems losing traction in the rear. Your needs may vary but for a DD, the truetrac works great.
Well my current plans are to keep the gears that I have in the 8.8 and only re-gear the front D-30.. I assume you are talking about the 8.8, rear, Right?? I know I probably confused everyone when talking about re-gearing, at first I was going to re-gear the 8.8 and go 4.10's but after doing a lot of reading and research I think I will be happy with the 3.73's better and plus it will not cost me as much..

Anyway, since keeping the 8.8 as is I probably will not go with a locker right now.. I am sure the Limited Slip will be a huge improvement over what I have. Maybe in a few months or year I will save up the $$ and get the locker I want in there after some research..
My-95-YJ Build Thread
Unread 01-01-2012, 11:20 PM   #37
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

With the 3.07 to 3.73 swap you'll need a new carrier up front. So even though I got a little sidetracked with my response you'll have to buy a new carrier anyway.
Unread 01-01-2012, 11:36 PM   #38
HanksRide
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
With the 3.07 to 3.73 swap you'll need a new carrier up front. So even though I got a little sidetracked with my response you'll have to buy a new carrier anyway.
Yeah, actually I have a carrier out of a 4.10 geared D-30 that is used, will a used carrier work? I was going to ask the shop that I take it to if they can use it, but if not I can get a new one for about 65.00..

I plan on new carrier, gears, bearings and all. Complete rebuild of the D-30.. They will furnish all parts, rebuild it completely to include fixing one seal with a small leak and re-gear it for $750.00 total.. I assume this is what is known as a "refresh" of the d-030. This includes a one year warranty. Then all I have to do is finish up the 8.8 and stick it under it and be done..

That is the plan, I just don't think I want to tackle the regear myself. I only want to pay for it one time, not blow one up and then have to pay for it anyway in the end..
My-95-YJ Build Thread
Unread 01-01-2012, 11:38 PM   #39
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

It'll work.
Unread 01-02-2012, 05:32 AM   #40
roadyrob
1987 YJ Wrangler 

a rebuild on the 30 is nice but 750 is a little steep, the 94-95 4cyl automatics have 3.73 gears and you can find them quite abit cheaper.

the voices aren't real but they sure have good ideas.
roadyrob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2012, 06:50 AM   #41
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadyrob View Post
a rebuild on the 30 is nice but 750 is a little steep, the 94-95 4cyl automatics have 3.73 gears and you can find them quite abit cheaper.
Those are out there but are hard to find. I know, I have one in the garage right now waiting to go in mine.
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
im just cheap, and cheap makes you creative.
dodger889 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.