Looking a 8.8 to Purchase, Questions??? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Looking a 8.8 to Purchase, Questions???

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 12-27-2011, 12:24 AM   #16
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Cost breakdown looks a little like this per axle:
$200 gears
$100 Set up kit (bearings and seals)
$50-1000 carrier (from Craigslist to ARB)
$300-500 labor

3.73 isn't bad with 33's. I'm running 4.10 with 36's and on the freeway it's perfect. Offroad it's a little sluggish but that's why I have 4:1 TC gears. You'll more than enjoy the power gains from the gear change and possibly be able to stay 2wd if you're doing one axle at a time.

Good luck!

Unread 12-27-2011, 02:09 AM   #17
HanksRide
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Cost breakdown looks a little like this per axle:
$200 gears
$100 Set up kit (bearings and seals)
$50-1000 carrier (from Craigslist to ARB)
$300-500 labor

3.73 isn't bad with 33's. I'm running 4.10 with 36's and on the freeway it's perfect. Offroad it's a little sluggish but that's why I have 4:1 TC gears. You'll more than enjoy the power gains from the gear change and possibly be able to stay 2wd if you're doing one axle at a time.

Good luck!
Thanks Anticanman, I think that is what I am going to do.. I figured I would have a $1K wrapped up in this before I was done.. I think that will get me where I want to be and I can live with 3.73's.. I actually haven't minded my 3.07's that much other than when I occasionally wish for a burst of speed that is not there, but driving around town 1st, 2nd, and 3rd is not to bad.. And yes that is my plan, keep it 2wd and work one at a time.
3500 Mile Road Trip With Daughter
Daughters 04 TJ Build Thread
My-95-YJ Build Thread
HanksRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2011, 02:39 AM   #18
HanksRide
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Is this the type gears I am looking for "Reverse Gear Set" for the Dana 30?

Dana 30 3.73 Reverse Gear Set By Alloy USA - D30373R

Or is it the Standard Gear Set??
My-95-YJ Build Thread
Unread 12-27-2011, 05:51 AM   #19
wickedoffroad
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Not sure about the gears or the locker....but the perches are a snap to get on. Any 4x4 store worth their salt will offer a range of weld on perches for a reasonable cost. If your friend can weld and you can operate an angle finder there is no reason to pay someone else to put your perches on. You can also relocate the rear shock mounts so they arent hanging below the axle. You will be able to use your stock e-brake cable with the included 8.8 e-brake hardware with little modification.
wickedoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2011, 07:37 AM   #20
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You will need reverse cut for your D30. Also you will need to add a carrier for those gears. The cut off is the carrier is between ?.??-3.54 and 3.73-?.?? gear sets. This will be good if you want to ever go into the lower gears latter.
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
im just cheap, and cheap makes you creative.
dodger889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2011, 08:00 AM   #21
dillonjm
30mm @ 70/sec

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger889 View Post
You will need reverse cut for your D30. Also you will need to add a carrier for those gears. The cut off is the carrier is between ?.??-3.54 and 3.73-?.?? gear sets. This will be good if you want to ever go into the lower gears latter.
+1

And a general comment to the OP. I think you are taking a perfectly reasonable route to getting a good reliable setup under your rig. I too decided to regear my axles (albiet I was forced to because no one had stock 4.88's, but if I couldn't have found a 4.10 8.8 I'd just get one and regear it too). It sounds like you're going to have someone setup your axles for you, might be worth your time to see if they'd let you help/observe. Its a good learning experience, I taught myself gears when I went to 4.88's and am really glad I did. The differential isn't some mystery box anymore.

Good luck with your build, sounds like you're going to have one really capable and reliable rig when your done.

11 Ram 2500 - 6.7 Cummins (DD/Tow Rig)

05 Liberty Limited (Wife's): Minor mods, OME/JBA Suspension, 245 70/17 Duratracs
dillonjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2011, 10:47 AM   #22
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HanksRide View Post
OK give me the con's to staying with 3.73's front and back.. Then I only have to regear the front.. I have been running 3.07's for a couple of years on 33's, it has got to be a huge improvement over that.. I also use it as my DD most of the time and at times take some road trips (several miles) in it, I assume staying with 3.73's would be a little better on MPG than 4.10's would. I did the RPM calculator and 3.73's will put my at 2250 @60 MPH as apposed to 1825 with 3.07's and 2500'ish with 4.10's. All this is with 33's...
In this case I'd stay at the 3.73's. I had factory 3.73's and kept them up until I went to 35's and it was just too high revving in the rocks at that point. For mostly road use and light offroading you'll be pretty good with 3.73's.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2011, 12:02 PM   #23
HanksRide
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timatoe View Post
In this case I'd stay at the 3.73's. I had factory 3.73's and kept them up until I went to 35's and it was just too high revving in the rocks at that point. For mostly road use and light offroading you'll be pretty good with 3.73's.
Thanks timatoe, I think that is what I am going to do.. I am going to visit a local fab shop this afternoon about welding perch mounts etc for me.. I am also going to do some checking around about regearing the D-30 and see what I come up with..
My-95-YJ Build Thread
Unread 12-27-2011, 12:23 PM   #24
HanksRide
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Well getting ready to pull the trigger on some gears and bearings for the D-30.. What brand of gears are good? I assume they are not all created equal.. I hope this is not one of those confrontational questions where there are a million opinions like (track bars or no track bars)

I have found several different types or brands of gears out there with only a few penny's difference in price but I want to make sure I put quality gears in.

I talked to a shop that will do the re-gear & bearings for $350.00 if I supply the parts. . I think this is the route I am going to go, I have read to many threads of people blowing rear-ends from them trying to do it them selves. This is costing enough as is without me having to pay for it all again in the long run.. Besides they offer a warranty on the work and that is worth something to me.

Does anyone offer a complete rebuild kit, gears, bearings etc for this as a package that is quality parts?
My-95-YJ Build Thread
Unread 12-27-2011, 01:12 PM   #25
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Richmonds gears are a know brand Splicer( DANA) is another. Those are off the top of my head.
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
im just cheap, and cheap makes you creative.
dodger889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2011, 01:25 PM   #26
HanksRide
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger889 View Post
Richmonds gears are a know brand Splicer( DANA) is another. Those are off the top of my head.
How are Precision Gears, anyone have an opinion?? There is something strange about this 3.73 ratio, they are like 2X higher than any other ratio. I am assuming it is because of lack of demand...

Jeep4X4center.com has the Precision Gears for $174.00, that is like 100 bucks cheaper than most I have found..
My-95-YJ Build Thread
Unread 01-01-2012, 07:39 PM   #27
yj87ben
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Hank, Before you go shopping at the 4X4.com web sites, check craigslist and eBay. You can usually get better prices and sometimes free shipping.
yj87ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2012, 07:43 PM   #28
dillonjm
30mm @ 70/sec

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HanksRide View Post
How are Precision Gears, anyone have an opinion?? There is something strange about this 3.73 ratio, they are like 2X higher than any other ratio. I am assuming it is because of lack of demand...

Jeep4X4center.com has the Precision Gears for $174.00, that is like 100 bucks cheaper than most I have found..
That seems pretty cheap from the quick search I just ran. I don't have any experience with Precision gears, however.

For what its worth, I've been pretty happy with the Yukon gearsets and spartan locker (a Yukon product too) I put in my Jeep. I think Randy's sells them for about $225 in the 3.73 variety.

11 Ram 2500 - 6.7 Cummins (DD/Tow Rig)

05 Liberty Limited (Wife's): Minor mods, OME/JBA Suspension, 245 70/17 Duratracs
dillonjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2012, 07:56 PM   #29
HanksRide
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Well I guess the price doesn't really matter now.. I am going to let a local shop set my D-30 up with gears and the deal is if I buy them they will not warranty the work but if they buy them I have to pay their prices for the gears. They guy told me that 3.73 gears were the most expensive due to lack of demand. I think about $250.00 is what they are going to charge me for the gears.

Ok here is the deal on my 3.73 and the decision that I have gone with.. Right now with 3.07's it is a dog at best but I do get pretty good gas mileage and sorry to admit but most of my driving in the heep is to work or on the highway with the occasional wheeling trip now and then therefore gas mileage is a little more important to me then if I was just building a wheelin jeep only would be. And according to this chart 3.73 is exactly where I want to be.

http://www.offroaders.com/tech/gear-ratio-chart.htm

If I want to drive 65 - 70 on the interstate I don't want it winding the engine to the point that it is a little annoying to me or running out of top in at that speed. I know that this conversion is going to cost me more in the long run then going with 4.10's and a d-30 from a 4 cylinder but I plan on driving this thing for a lot of years to come so I think it will be worth it to me to get the gear set that best suits my driving habits..
My-95-YJ Build Thread
Unread 01-01-2012, 07:58 PM   #30
HanksRide
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yj87ben View Post
Hank, Before you go shopping at the 4X4.com web sites, check craigslist and eBay. You can usually get better prices and sometimes free shipping.
Thanks yj87ben, I will keep that in mind in the future.. I do visit the vendor section of jeep forum and spend a lot of time on CL and eBay.. I think I just have bad luck sometimes finding what I am looking for especially CL..
My-95-YJ Build Thread

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.