Looking a 8.8 to Purchase, Questions??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Looking a 8.8 to Purchase, Questions???

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 12-25-2011, 08:40 PM   #1
HanksRide
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Looking a 8.8 to Purchase, Questions???

A guy about 1 1/2 hours from me is parting out a wrecked 96 Ford Explorer with an 8.8, LS, 3.73 gears, complete to include disk brakes, calipers, rotors, E-brake cables etc.. It is pulled and he will load in my truck for $200.00. The explorer had no rear damage, just the right front side but totaled it.

I have only communicated with him through email and he is out of town for the holidays.. He told me his neighbor will handle everything if I am interested.. I plan on calling the neighbor and setting up the deal tomorrow..

What questions should I ask and what should I look for when I go see this thing??

What tools would I need to take to check this thing out good before buying??

Thanks,

3500 Mile Road Trip With Daughter
Daughters 04 TJ Build Thread
My-95-YJ Build Thread
HanksRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2011, 08:49 PM   #2
yj87ben
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I would think, no tools required. It's pulled, look for physical damage. I'm guessing you're changing the gears, so no need to inspect them. See if you can get the driveline too, easy to cut down and use.

Eddie likes Jeepin' too.
liberty-memorial-day-weekend-021.jpg  
yj87ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2011, 08:52 PM   #3
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Check for gear oil leaking around the pinion seal, and axle seals.
Rotate the pinion and see how it turns. With a LSD, there should be resistance there, more than an open diff.
If the brakes are good, then it's a bargain. Most folks, including myself, replace the whole brake package when installing.

Martin
2000 4.7 4WD WJ with a rebuilt motor.
4.3/700r4/new frame buildup (YJ)....
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/swap-offically-underway-324622/

Years to gain the hands on experience, and offer it freely.
Minutes to gain the knowledge from the internet, and quote it just as freely.
Choose wisely!
leftlanetruckin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2011, 09:18 PM   #4
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Pop the cover and look for damage whether you're keeping the gears or not.
Unread 12-25-2011, 09:28 PM   #5
88Jeff94
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I'm going to present a different angle here. 8.8s are pretty numerous in junkyards around me maybe that isn't the case around you. And $200 is not a bad deal especially loaded in your truck/jeep.

But here are my thoughts.
Your profile says 3.07 gears and 33 inch tires, so I assume you will be regearing to 4.10, 4.56, or 4.88(you are limited to 4.88 by the front axle). You can get an 8.8 with 4.10 gears and then only regear the front to match.
If you decide to go deeper than 4.10 then you will need to swap gears anyway so no biggie.

Also unless you decide to do a full case locker you will need to buy a non-lsd carrier.

Tell us your plans for the axle and we can help more, Gears, locker, and tire size.

Otherwise it sounds like a good deal.
88Jeff94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2011, 02:51 PM   #6
HanksRide
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yj87ben View Post
I would think, no tools required. It's pulled, look for physical damage. I'm guessing you're changing the gears, so no need to inspect them. See if you can get the driveline too, easy to cut down and use.

Eddie likes Jeepin' too.
Eddie looks like he is enjoying it.. They are sure fun to have around.. I don't know if Hank likes jeepin as much as just doing anything that I am doing.. He loves to be around people as I am sure Eddie does...

Thanks for the info on the 8.8...
My-95-YJ Build Thread
Unread 12-26-2011, 02:58 PM   #7
HanksRide
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Just got home with the 8.8... It really looks good, I did not pull the cover but the entire rear end is pretty much rust free (except for the rotors, they are rusted a bit from sitting a few months) and I did not see any signs of fluid leaking anywhere on it. I seen the vehicle it came out of and it looked in really good shape except for where the freight train hit it in the side.. So I feel confident this thing was in working order when the accident happened.. It is still in my truck but I will post pics a little later, raining here right now so don't want to mess with it. It is totally complete with all lines, calipers, rotors, anti-wrap shock, sway bars etc...

Plans and Questions:

Yes 4:10 gears is where I am headed... I have an Aussie locker installed in the d-30 so can I regear to 4:10 there and keep my existing locker??

I found a guy that will weld perchs and tubes for me. I also picked up the driveline and it looks really good also. I have a SYE and Tom Woods DC/CV installed now so where does this take me.. Loose the Tom Woods and have the Explorer driveline cut down to fit???

Where do I get perch mounts for the 8.8, is that something I need to purchase or use my existing ones I have now. I also have another old D-35 I suppose I could cut them off of.

Full of questions.. Anything you guys can give me will help..

Thanks again..
My-95-YJ Build Thread
Unread 12-26-2011, 03:10 PM   #8
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

I always get my customers to just get the MORE kit for the 8.8. It works and is not too expensive IMO.
Not sure on the locker, just look up the carrier break on that particular locker and see what it says.

Martin
2000 4.7 4WD WJ with a rebuilt motor.
4.3/700r4/new frame buildup (YJ)....
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=324622

Years to gain the hands on experience, and offer it freely.
Minutes to gain the knowledge from the internet, and quote it just as freely.
Choose wisely!
leftlanetruckin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2011, 04:08 PM   #9
NHfireYJ
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HanksRide View Post
Just got home with the 8.8... It really looks good, I did not pull the cover but the entire rear end is pretty much rust free (except for the rotors, they are rusted a bit from sitting a few months) and I did not see any signs of fluid leaking anywhere on it. I seen the vehicle it came out of and it looked in really good shape except for where the freight train hit it in the side.. So I feel confident this thing was in working order when the accident happened.. It is still in my truck but I will post pics a little later, raining here right now so don't want to mess with it. It is totally complete with all lines, calipers, rotors, anti-wrap shock, sway bars etc...

Plans and Questions:

Yes 4:10 gears is where I am headed... I have an Aussie locker installed in the d-30 so can I regear to 4:10 there and keep my existing locker??

Are you made of $$. If so reagear, if not fine a D30 with 4:10. and swap the whole axle

I found a guy that will weld perchs and tubes for me. I also picked up the driveline and it looks really good also. I have a SYE and Tom Woods DC/CV installed now so where does this take me.. Loose the Tom Woods and have the Explorer driveline cut down to fit???
The perches need to be welded at the required angle to match the drive line when installed, or you'll have to use shims..

Use the woods. depends on the shaft length but should work...

Where do I get perch mounts for the 8.8, is that something I need to purchase or use my existing ones I have now. I also have another old D-35 I suppose I could cut them off of.

East Coast Gear has a whole 8.8 set up and cheaper than the MORE kit and just as solid....Very happy with mine....

Full of questions.. Anything you guys can give me will help..

Thanks again..
You already bought it, but its still cheaper to resell that and find another with 4:10. Regearing is expensive...unless you are adding a rear selectable locker, in which case it all has to come out then..

Read this..

http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=371713
BETTY...94 SE, Golen Stroker 4.6, RE 4" lift, 1" booms rear, 1/2" booms front, 1" BL, 35 12.5 15 GY MTR's Kevlar on 15 x 8, AA SYE w/ Woods shaft, D30 Aussie, 8.8 w/ LSD, 4.10, Smittybilt front and rear bumpers, Wildbuilt rock sliders, Cutom tire carrier w/ Jerry can, Hi-Lift, Smitybilt 8000lb winch, Ammo can consol, VHF & CB radio, Herculined, Neoprene seat covers, Hard /soft/ bikini tops.

HUMMER INTAKE. Click here.. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...style-1257285/

FEBRUARY 2013 YJOTM
NHfireYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2011, 06:45 PM   #10
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

You will need a new carrier for the D30 if you've got 3.07's now the break is at 3.73 so 3.54 and down is one and 3.73 and up is another. I agree about finding an entire front end, guaranteed to be cheaper than re-gearing.

I got the 8.8 swap kit from Ruff Stuff.

Just read all the 8.8 threads out there and pick and choose the way you want to go.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2011, 09:22 PM   #11
HanksRide
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

So let me see if I get this right..

To gear the 8.8 to 4.10 I will need a new carrier and gears or just gears??

To gear the D-30 to 4.10 I will need a new carrier and gears but will be able to keep my existing Aussie Locker??

The 8.8's are not a dime a dozen around where I am at.. I have been looking for a while.. I even noticed a few adds on craigslist where people have posted looking for them. I have found several with 3.73's but none with 4.10's.. Not saying they are not out there but if so they are far between..

From what I have researched gears are going to cost me about 200.00 for each axle, (not counting carriers if I need them). I figure be the time I pay someone for the welding and after buying all the parts I need to get them there I will have about 1000.00 more in these by the time I am done and I will have the piece of mind of new gears in both ends. This should get me problem free for a lot of years.

But while I am getting the 8.8 ready to go I am going to be on the look out for a 4.10 D-30..
My-95-YJ Build Thread
Unread 12-26-2011, 10:09 PM   #12
jode
1990 YJ Wrangler 

If you can buy new gears AND get them installed for ~$200, then that is an amazing price. That is super cheap. I've never found a shop that would do the install alone for $200.

Or were you planning to do the install yourself?

90 YJ, 2.5L, 5-speed
jode is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2011, 10:31 PM   #13
HanksRide
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jode View Post
If you can buy new gears AND get them installed for ~$200, then that is an amazing price. That is super cheap. I've never found a shop that would do the install alone for $200.

Or were you planning to do the install yourself?
Not sure on that, I have a friend that has done some of this before so I was going to seek his advice and see if he wanted to lend a hand.. But I have not got a quote on actually paying someone to install them... I have been reading up on doing it myself and it does seem quite involved with little room for error.

The 200.00 was just to purchase the gears..
My-95-YJ Build Thread
Unread 12-26-2011, 11:19 PM   #14
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HanksRide View Post
So let me see if I get this right..

To gear the 8.8 to 4.10 I will need a new carrier and gears or just gears??

To gear the D-30 to 4.10 I will need a new carrier and gears but will be able to keep my existing Aussie Locker??

8.8 will only need gears, there is no carrier break on them. Yes on the D30 you'll need a new carrier or get a 4.10 axle and slap your Aussie in there (same Aussie for all the D30's). I suppose if you can get your 30 geared for about the same price then I'd go that way, but around here it's about $600 per axle for the parts and labor.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2011, 12:02 AM   #15
HanksRide
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timatoe View Post
8.8 will only need gears, there is no carrier break on them. Yes on the D30 you'll need a new carrier or get a 4.10 axle and slap your Aussie in there (same Aussie for all the D30's). I suppose if you can get your 30 geared for about the same price then I'd go that way, but around here it's about $600 per axle for the parts and labor.
OK give me the con's to staying with 3.73's front and back.. Then I only have to regear the front.. I have been running 3.07's for a couple of years on 33's, it has got to be a huge improvement over that.. I also use it as my DD most of the time and at times take some road trips (several miles) in it, I assume staying with 3.73's would be a little better on MPG than 4.10's would. I did the RPM calculator and 3.73's will put my at 2250 @60 MPH as apposed to 1825 with 3.07's and 2500'ish with 4.10's. All this is with 33's...
My-95-YJ Build Thread

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.