looking at 1988 yj - what to look for? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > looking at 1988 yj - what to look for?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 09-05-2007, 07:42 AM   #1
jfalken

looking at 1988 yj - what to look for?

A friend is looking at a 1988 yj with a bad transmission. The old owner took the trans out. We would try to spin the motor. We will look in normal places for rust. What other things should we look for? How much should he expect to pay for a new tranny if this one is beyond help? What other gotchas should he look for in an 88? What axles are the best to hope for in it? Is $1300 a fair price for this? Thanks for the help. I have had a jtruck, fsj, xj, tj and wj but know little about wranglers with real springs!

73 RoadRunner - My Rustbucket
R.I.P. - 99 Red Cherokee Classic - 4.0 Auto
<This Space Reserved for a Future Jeep Product>
jfalken is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2007, 07:47 AM   #2
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfalken
wranglers with real springs!

I like that right there

Is the tranny an auto or a manual?? Is it the 4.2 I6 or a 2.5?
The 4.2 is carbed and can be a PITA to maint but swapping in a weber carb and a HEI distributor can take care of most of the engine problems.

If it is a manual with the 4.2 your gonna want to look into the AX-15 swap because the BA-10 puegot is a piece of crap.

Axles are gonna be the 30 and 35. The 30 is a vac disco but well kept, can work just fine.

I would not offer over $1000 for it with the trans pulled.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2007, 08:28 AM   #3
MetZenDS
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
A friend is looking at a 1988 yj with a bad transmission. The old owner took the trans out. We would try to spin the motor. We will look in normal places for rust. What other things should we look for? How much should he expect to pay for a new tranny if this one is beyond help? What other gotchas should he look for in an 88? What axles are the best to hope for in it? Is $1300 a fair price for this? Thanks for the help. I have had a jtruck, fsj, xj, tj and wj but know little about wranglers with real springs!

Most deff jump to an AX-15 tranny when you replace. You should be able to find a used one in good shape for 500-600 depeding on why the seller is getting rid of it. Watch the for sale section of these forums. I've seen AX-15's for as little as $350.
As far as rust goes- TAKE A SCREWDRIVER. what looks like surface rust is not allways the case. Trust me, i learned the hard way (of course when you pay $100 for a running jeep, you can't really complain).
If it is the 4.2- replace the carb as soon as the tranny is fixed.

Check the vac lines on the D30 and X-case so you know if that is going to give you hell.

umm... other than that- you just gotta hope. I'd open the diffs if he'll let you. I didn't open mine and found bits of gear once i got it home and popped'em open lol.

Either way- GOOD LUCK!
Unread 09-05-2007, 10:12 AM   #4
jfalken

Also 1993 info wanted...

It is the 4.2 with the 5 speed.

Because of my friend, I was looking through his adds and found a 1993 softtop. I hate my friend. I don't need another car, but have been thinking lately of a Jeep to do winters for my wife(miata<>snow) and a summer conv. for me. It is a 6 cyl 5 speed w/ 102xxx on it. Doesn't looked wheeled or rusted. They want 5500 obo. I have $4500-5000 I don't have to put anywhere right now. Good deal???

Man I hate my friend...
73 RoadRunner - My Rustbucket
R.I.P. - 99 Red Cherokee Classic - 4.0 Auto
<This Space Reserved for a Future Jeep Product>
jfalken is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2007, 10:13 AM   #5
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Quote:
It is the 4.2 with the 5 speed.

Because of my friend, I was looking through his adds and found a 1993 softtop. I hate my friend. I don't need another car, but have been thinking lately of a Jeep to do winters for my wife(miata<>snow) and a summer conv. for me. It is a 6 cyl 5 speed w/ 102xxx on it. Doesn't looked wheeled or rusted. They want 5500 obo. I have $4500-5000 I don't have to put anywhere right now. Good deal???

Man I hate my friend...

As long as that is in good shape, I would start at $4500 for an offer. Sounds like a good deal. That is low mileage for the 4.0

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2007, 10:25 AM   #6
goatboy
1989 YJ Wrangler 

My rule of thumb is the same as Rusty's...I NEVER pay over a thousand bux for a non-running, non-roadable vehicle period. Most of the time, much less. You are buying an absolute pig in a poke...One thang leads to another, and in this case here, the MINIMUM yer gonna wanna do is to rebuild whatever tranny is laying on the ground, or replace it with a good or rebuilt tranny of your own choice...after all, why would ya risk puttin' it back together only to find out that the reason it's out is because it's a POS? For a manual tranny, contact transmission shops in yer area to find out what it costs to rebuild your tranny, and DON'T fall into the trap that the cheapest choice is the best choice...ususually, somewhere in the middle is the best value...

Since it's a manual tranny version, figure on, at a minimum, rebuilding/replacing the clutch hydraulics, and replacing the clutch, and surfacing the flywheel. You can get pre-bled clutch hydraulic kits from the dealer for a reasonable amount of money, and the quality is tops...

Now, a lotta folks would recommend just buttoning the thang back up and seein' whatcha got...and that's okay if you have a lotta time on yer hands...but if you're like a lotta of us on a career/family path, that kinda job is one you wanna do the first time and only time...so, when you're negotiating for this Pandora's box (because, unfortunately, that's probably what it's gonna be), you want to make sure that you point all this out...in in so doing, you KNOW that you're gonna be out an absolute minimum of $1500 to 2000...and at the end of the day, what's the Jeep worth? Well, obviously, none of us out here in cyber land know that because we're not hand's on with it, nor will we ever be, but let's just say that on average, being as how this is an early model carbed YJ, it's only gonna be worth $4000 or so in good or better condition... Well, if you pay a thousand for it, put a coupla more grand in it, you've only got another grand to play with before you've outstripped its value, if that's important to ya...a set of good wheels and tires will eat most or all of that up, and if you do like most of us do and put a lift on it...well, you see what I'm gettin' at...

So, maybe this thing, with all of it's unknowns, isn't worth more than $500 or so. Boy, I'd be realllll hinky about something that has it's guts on the ground like this Jeep does... If the price is very, very right, go for it...if not, pass, find a fuel injected unit, 1991 or newer...they are out there...

Oh, and don't forget that on an '88, yer gonna probably be swapping out the carb maybe installing fuel injection, that Carter ain't gonna hunt...

Good luck. Let us out here in C-Land know what happens...
goatboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.