lookin into the yj - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > lookin into the yj

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 08-18-2011, 07:29 PM   #1
slamin04
2011 JK Wrangler 

lookin into the yj

guys i've had the TJ traded it in for the wife an JK sport, well im wanting a YJ
any advise on them, good and bad, how do they offroad with leaf springs, ride any info is good. im wanting the 6 cylinder cause that is one thing the TJ lagged in cause it had a 4 popper

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cosmos111/
slamin04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2011, 07:36 PM   #2
Jeff88
Web Wheeler
1988 YJ Wrangler 

The best upgrade I made on my 88 YJ were new seats. Most of them are all worn out and even if they look good, they pretty much suck on the inside. I suffered through the old ones the first year, then I bought a set of Trailmax 2's and never looked back, it was much more enjoyable.

My ride improved drastically just from putting in new seats. ride actually stayed the same, but our backs are much better supported.

It rides like an old truck, I have 3.5 inch lift and on the road it sometimes feels like my kidneys are going to explode. Leaf springs don't seem to care about your comfort much. It is a different ride than a TJ, that is certain.

I have a YJ, a TJ and an early CJ. The TJ feels like a car to me, the YJ feels like a truck, and the CJ feels like it is built on a platform of solid granite with no springs!

I would never sell my YJ though. I like it the best, but don't tell the others!!!!!
Jeff88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2011, 09:05 PM   #3
redrubi03
1989 YJ Wrangler 

i LOVE mine. it may not have ac or any other nice amenities but i would take it any day over my old rubicon tj. it doesnt have selectable lockers like the tj it has a spool in the rear and locked in front all the time and i still drive it everyday on the street and the highway. to me this is what a real jeep is. set it up right and ther are many guys who hang with linked up, coilovered, rigs all day long. if you want a fun jeep that brings a smile to your face every time you drive it get a yj.
redrubi03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2011, 11:07 PM   #4
clarkjdg
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff88 View Post

I have a YJ, a TJ and an early CJ. The TJ feels like a car to me, the YJ feels like a truck, and the CJ feels like it is built on a platform of solid granite with no springs!

I would never sell my YJ though. I like it the best, but don't tell the others!!!!!
You mean there is something besides a YJ? Well all jokes aside a YJ is just tougher than a TJ like last summer me and my son got hit by a hail storm and when it was over you couldn't hardly find a place on that TJ where there weren't dents and some were bad, but we never found even one on my YJ. And if were just taking one rig back in the boonies I dont even have to ask which one were taking we both just climb in the YJ and go!
(o) )-(o) )-*-) )
88 YJ, Smittybilt SRC Front, Side, and Rear Armor, Family Roll Bars, TJ Flares, and Half Doors
4"Leaf, 2"Body, and 1"Leaf Lift, 4.10 Geared Dana 30 Posi with Cable Engage, Ford 8.8 Posi, With 33s BFGs MT KM2
Everything "Black" Inner, Under, and outer "Black" on the Body is "Bed Linered" and I will be Thru the day that I Die!
clarkjdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2011, 11:46 PM   #5
jeepyj13
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Well you got to look into rust issues when shopping yjs. Common rust spots on near shackle connects at end of frame or where steering box is located. Check floorboards for rust and where the rollbar bolts to floor. Check the rockerpanel under the name jeep too. They rustproof the yj tubs in 94-95 but doesnt mean other yrs arent rust free there are some older yrs rust free too just have to look. Oh yeah a common yj mod is to remove the tracbars and swaybar. Their rugged leaf springs are strong enough to center the axle unlike the coil spring tj and jk. By removing them allows the leaves to flex like no other and improve ride comfort too cause you knw how yjs are known for rough riding. yjs are known as the rugged jeep out of the wrangler family. I mean leaf springs, plain jane interior w/ no carpet or most of time no a/c, rides like a buckboard. I mean besides its forefather the CJ the yj has rugged written all over it in the wrangler family but if we talking about the suv jeeps like commander, GC, etc. The XJ is the most rugged out of its category. Otherwords keep it square. Good luck on your search

[]|||||||[]
Unread 08-19-2011, 12:25 AM   #6
slamin04
2011 JK Wrangler 

Thanks alot guys that's gonna help me alot In My search what a out the 4 cylinder vs the 6

Unread 08-19-2011, 12:51 AM   #7
cubewhiz
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamin04 View Post
Thanks alot guys that's gonna help me alot In My search what a out the 4 cylinder vs the 6
The 4 cyl with larger tires will make you want more.

I've got a GM V8 in my driveway for that reason.
--------
My new Jeep: 95 ZJ with 4.0L I6 (auto trans)
cubewhiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2011, 02:50 PM   #8
slamin04
2011 JK Wrangler 

to the top!!

Unread 08-19-2011, 03:02 PM   #9
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

If you have more money than you know what to do with, by all means buy a yj. If you want a true sense of accomplishment try buying one from the salt belt as you'll find yourself patching the frame and most if the body as it's been eaten by rust. Or you can get lucky like me and buy it from the person who drove it off the lot and STILL throw tons of money into it making it a capable weekend wheeler.

Yay YJ's!
Unread 08-19-2011, 03:27 PM   #10
bogleparsons
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
If you have more money than you know what to do with, by all means buy a yj. If you want a true sense of accomplishment try buying one from the salt belt as you'll find yourself patching the frame and most if the body as it's been eaten by rust. Or you can get lucky like me and buy it from the person who drove it off the lot and STILL throw tons of money into it making it a capable weekend wheeler.

Yay YJ's!

Debbie downer Alert
bogleparsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2011, 04:31 PM   #11
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogleparsons View Post
Debbie downer Alert

That obviously didn't come out right...
Unread 08-19-2011, 05:12 PM   #12
slamin04
2011 JK Wrangler 

i really like the YJ interior, im going to look at a 93 Yj in the morning not sure about it yet tho, he just put a 4 rough country, lift and shocks, their is no tcase drop on it. onistly it looks like he did leafs and shocks thats it. here is a pic.

Unread 08-19-2011, 06:11 PM   #13
slamin04
2011 JK Wrangler 

bump

Unread 08-19-2011, 06:23 PM   #14
Skydmark1
1998 ZJ 

Looks decent, same lift as mine, same rims as mine. I have a 1" trans drop on mine though, very little driveline vibration only on take off (which I think is also attributed to bad mounts but that's another story) I love mine even though I keep throwing small amounts of money at it each week! I love Jeeps and I've had CJ5, CJ7, YJ....this is my favorite!! I used to make fun of YJ owners when I had my CJ (real Jeeps have round headlights). I don't go there anymore....haha
Unread 08-19-2011, 06:29 PM   #15
slamin04
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydmark1 View Post
Looks decent, same lift as mine, same rims as mine. I have a 1" trans drop on mine though, very little driveline vibration only on take off (which I think is also attributed to bad mounts but that's another story) I love mine even though I keep throwing small amounts of money at it each week! I love Jeeps and I've had CJ5, CJ7, YJ....this is my favorite!! I used to make fun of YJ owners when I had my CJ (real Jeeps have round headlights). I don't go there anymore....haha
lol well thats kinda how i felt with my tj with the square headlights and all.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.