longer shocks - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > longer shocks

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 04-23-2010, 03:32 AM   #1
rudedogg457
1994 YJ Wrangler 

longer shocks

i installed a 4" rc lift and 1 in shackles and my front shocks seem to look a little short where can i get longer shocks

rudedogg457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2010, 04:16 AM   #2
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Don't just buy 'longer shocks', measure what you have and buy what you need, the right part. Look at MFGs web sites for their product specs to find the right number to buy.

With the truck in the driveway:
0) make sure you have adequate bump stops to prevent tire/metal contact.
1) Measure the top to bottom mounting point distance (ML).
2) Measure he gap between the axle and the bump stop (BSG).
3) Buy a shock with the compressed length equal to ML-BSG-1/2".

The extra 1/2" will ensure the shock is not the limit on compression (bad). The max droop will just be what it is. If you want more droop, move the mount points further apart (make ML longer).

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.