Loctite IRL vs FSM - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Loctite IRL vs FSM

15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 06-18-2013, 12:27 PM   #1
Dwarf
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Loctite IRL vs FSM

Hey guys,

I have the FSM, but was wondering if the gurus here could give me some practical advice from life experiences.

Should I use red loctite on:
Flywheel to cam
Clutch Plate to flywheel
Exhaust Manifold to block
Exhaust/Intake manifold to block

Should I use blue loctite on:
Exhaust manifold to towntube collector
Carburetor mounting studs
Oil Pan bolts
Bellhousing to block
bellhousing to AX15
U-Joint retainers

I'm getting gun-shy on this project. I've rebuilt older chevrolets before and I've never had this many bolts snap on me (yes I used PB Blast, yes I let it sit and reapplied, etc)

I appreciate your advice - D

Dwarf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2013, 12:51 PM   #2
Jeepsr4me

No on the exhaust/intake manifold to block.
No on any thing but anti seize on the exhaust down tube.
I would not waste time with putting anything on the oil pan bolts. Or the engine to trans bolts.
Jeepsr4me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2013, 08:21 AM   #3
Dwarf
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Nothing on the intake/exhaust to head? I thought surely you would on those guys.
Dwarf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2013, 08:37 AM   #4
Jeepsr4me

I have only put together and couple hundred of these engines, so do as you want. If I find a issue that needs a locking fluid I use it. If I dont then I dont worry about it..
Jeepsr4me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2013, 11:19 AM   #5
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I didnt use locktite on any of those bolts when I did my engine and trans replacment. I just torqued them to spec. 5 months 20,000 miles no issues.

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2013, 05:10 PM   #6
pete1991YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Don't bother with loctite on the exhaust at al. The heat will neuter it and it won't hold anything. The only place I've ever used loctite is on the connecting rod nuts. Its the only place that really needs it. Otherwise just be very clean, no crap in the threads -- and torque it to spec as Siva says. It'll hold.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.