lockright locker in a dana 30 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > lockright locker in a dana 30

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-13-2006, 07:48 AM   #1
bryan-2kevo

lockright locker in a dana 30

i am getting ready to install a lockright locker in my front and rear axles (dana 30/35) i was wondering how hard is the locker on the front axle and ball joints, and with regular driving?

bryan-2kevo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2006, 08:28 AM   #2
dbguync

I have a lockrite in my D30. I have broken the passenger side u-joint, but the Lock rite has held up well. On the road its not noticable. I also had one in my D35 that self destructed on the trail one day. Just be certain its installed correctly and i think you'll get good service out of it.
Unread 04-13-2006, 08:31 AM   #3
bryan-2kevo

is there any problems with driving on the road w/ a front locker in 2WD?
Unread 04-13-2006, 09:10 AM   #4
dell2028
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Won't notice it because the YJ front axle is 3 peices. The passenger side locks together when you engage 4WD and the vac. accuator pulls a fork moving a collar over the two peices. Once the splines match up the collar slides over and the front driveshaft is being spun by the transfer case and the tires are spinning. I locked my passenger side axle like a TJ's and still can't notice my aussie locker on the road. Off road, its a whole different ball-game. Front now has much improved traction.

95 YJ, D30/8.8 w/ 4.88s, SOA, 35x14.50x16.5 Pit Bull Mud Dawgs, 101" Wheelbase, Custom Front Bumper, Winch, Custom Rear Tow Points, Traction Bar, Aussie Locker in front, 20 Gal. Gas Tank modification, Hurculiner Tub, Custom Rear Bumper, SYE and CV shaft, BTF Cross-over Steering, RCI 2191 fuel cell, BTF Rockers, RE 1.5" SOA springs up front and XJ springs in the rear

Down the line a bit...engine swap, the list goes on.
dell2028 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2006, 09:34 AM   #5
bryan-2kevo

when i talked to 4wd hardware about it, they told me that i would have to get the lock out hub conversion to be able to drive it on the road. is this true? or are they just wanting more $
Unread 04-13-2006, 09:49 AM   #6
Punisher
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Total BS
You dont need lockout hubs to run a lockright in a YJ. The CAD essentially does that (only on one side though)
Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2006, 10:50 AM   #7
dell2028
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah, the hub conversion thing is total BS. I really can't beleive they told you that. Like I said before, because of the axle disconnect it will be like driving with an open diff when not engaged.

95 YJ, D30/8.8 w/ 4.88s, SOA, 35x14.50x16.5 Pit Bull Mud Dawgs, 101" Wheelbase, Custom Front Bumper, Winch, Custom Rear Tow Points, Traction Bar, Aussie Locker in front, 20 Gal. Gas Tank modification, Hurculiner Tub, Custom Rear Bumper, SYE and CV shaft, BTF Cross-over Steering, RCI 2191 fuel cell, BTF Rockers, RE 1.5" SOA springs up front and XJ springs in the rear

Down the line a bit...engine swap, the list goes on.
dell2028 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2006, 10:55 AM   #8
bryan-2kevo

sweat! well thank you guys a ton!
i am getting the locker for free off of my brother, he is putting in a kingpin dana 60 front and a dana 70 rear into his 83 CJ7, so if the part fits i was going to use it. I have another friend who is putting in a dana 44 rear end so i will buy his rear lockright locker for $100.
Unread 04-13-2006, 11:06 AM   #9
ghiradelli777
1992 YJ Wrangler 

how long do you think it takes to do the frint locker???
Unread 04-13-2006, 11:32 AM   #10
bryan-2kevo

i believe just a few hours 2-3 at most. depends on how easy it is to get the front hubs off and axle shafts out.
Unread 04-13-2006, 12:17 PM   #11
yesterdaylight
1995 YJ Wrangler 

during the install the hubs were the hardest part for me, and i broke a bolt accidentally so be sure to work those 3 bolts progressively in and out as you go spraying em with PB blaster or something. take your time with them because when they break they are a ***** to get out.
Green Jeep Club Member #172
Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Club Member # 23
Green 1995 4 Banger
If only my pocket was as green as my Jeep :D
yesterdaylight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2006, 12:29 PM   #12
bryan-2kevo

I had replaced the passenger hub last spring, so i just worry a little bit about the drivers side comming off, we used plenty of anti-seize!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.