Locking Vs. LSD and rear swap? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Locking Vs. LSD and rear swap?

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBaseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiSpartan Locker Special Forum Prices Dana 30 44 60 Ford 8.8

Unread 12-30-2012, 08:50 PM   #1
PipelayerOceani
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Locking Vs. LSD and rear swap?

I'm a little lost here. I have a 95 YJ and I'm looking into either a lock for the rear wheels or a Limited slip, I know that the Dana rear I currently had would not be able to handle a lock, and I was trying to either put a D44 or an 8.8 in I found both of these on Craigslist but am also not sure of what gear ratios I need. I use my YJ mostly as a daily driving but would like to be able to use it in deep snow and mud. What are the pros and cons of each the locking and LSD and which would be better for my purposes? I also plan on putting a lift on it later this year if it affects the rear I need.

PipelayerOceani is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2012, 09:00 AM   #2
YJ475
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Fill in your profile a bit more, so we can make good suggestions. What size tire are you running? What size tire do you eventually want to run? A Dana 35 has a bad reputation, but it can be fine locked on smaller tires, with a cautious driver.

As for the comparison between LSD and a Locker, driving with a full-time locker on the snow (as in daily driving) is an adventure, to put it mildly. If I didn't use my Jeep for off-roading very much, I'd prefer the LSD. But a locker is sooooo much better for actual off-roading applications. If you're close to stock tire size and not planning on going bigger soon, you could find a used lunchbox locker and throw it in: you wouldn't be out more than about $200, all told.
YJ475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2012, 09:03 AM   #3
1998zj
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Might as well leave it open if you are going off road. Once you lift a tire with LSD you aren't going anywhere.
Unread 12-31-2012, 09:14 AM   #4
Anticanman
One eloquent mother****er

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1998zj View Post
Might as well leave it open if you are going off road. Once you lift a tire with LSD you aren't going anywhere.
"Off road" is relative. Some just need more traction in the gravel and some actually need it in the rocks. I have seen some rigs flip before they even lifted a tire so suspension travel is relative as well. With a 8.8 that has drum brakes, you can apply the ebrake to get a little more out of the LSD to get you over an obstacle. It's not that big of a deal. Conversely, a lunchbox locker on a street jeep may cause some issues when weather gets a little hairy.

OP, weigh one against another in the meantime. But you need to take a step back and look at the entire picture not just the part being replaced. That includes future modifications as well.
Unread 12-31-2012, 10:24 AM   #5
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I installed a Aussie on my front only. Works great for me. If in a real fix I can use my E brake to get me out of a bad situation.

Just lock the front until you install the 8.8.
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2012, 04:32 PM   #6
booboowv77
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasinbuy View Post
I installed a Aussie on my front only. Works great for me. If in a real fix I can use my E brake to get me out of a bad situation.

Just lock the front until you install the 8.8.
This is my plan
Built not Bought #759
booboowv77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2013, 08:42 AM   #7
MLJeeper
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Ive had to pull cable more times than I can remember for people counting on the ole e-brake and LSD trick. You lift a tire in the rocks, its over. But for mud and snow, where you plan on using your jeep the most, a LSD will probably serve you well. The aussies work great and are a good buy for the dana 30 but any auto locker is going to be an adventure in snow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Any video of the sound?
MLJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2013, 03:05 PM   #8
PipelayerOceani
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys, that really helped, I currently have stock size all terrains on it but am planning on getting my friends 33's after he swaps down to 32's
PipelayerOceani is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.