Locking Rear Storage for YJ - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Locking Rear Storage for YJ

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail TJ, YJ and CJ A/T Fender Flares available @ Oconee Off-Roa*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*

Unread 03-26-2010, 12:35 PM   #16
Gurrenteed555
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I got a locking chest off ebay a few years ago for the exact same reason. Bunker gear isn't cheap. Heres a couple pictures of mine:

Check out craigslist. I found this box near me... It would fit nicely.

TRUCK BOX (tool box)

You also might consider getting a job/gang box. You can always find people getting rid of those.
RIDGID 32 In. X 19 In. Storage Chest - 2032-OS at The Home Depot

Good luck, brother.

Gurrenteed555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2010, 08:01 AM   #17
GatorsUF
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timatoe View Post
That might be just what you need.

I picked this up locally for $50, it's aluminum and is basically 3 sides and a top, fit right in place and is secured using the back door. I added the track on top to secure other gear down.

What is that called? Is is custom made or is it sold retail? I'd like one for $50, $400 is a bit steep for the Tuffy brand version.
Unread 03-28-2010, 09:37 AM   #18
muddy93
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

here's a pic of my storage system, and a link to the write up.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f37/y...ite-up-596248/

the system consists of 4 seperate pieces, 2 wheel well boxes, 1 "trunk" section, and 1 "tonneau" section.
All of the pieces are made of 3/4" plywood, and are coated with bedliner(the rattle can type). everything has held up well for the past 4 or so years. I did recently start re-building the system out of metal; However, I'm going with metal in order to try to save a little bit of weight, and to change the design a bit. The durability of the wood has NOT been a issue for me.

The two wheel well boxes are permanantly mounted to the wheel wells, and the padded lids serve as arm rests when the back seat is in place. The "trunk" section fits behind the rear seat, but can also be moved to just behind the front seats(with the rear seat removed), where it serves as an attachment/hinge point for the "tonneau" section.
Unread 03-28-2010, 11:51 AM   #19
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorsUF View Post
What is that called? Is is custom made or is it sold retail? I'd like one for $50, $400 is a bit steep for the Tuffy brand version.
It was on Kijiji (like craigslist) listed as a "trunk". The guy I got it from had it built for his TJ, and it dropped right in place on the YJ. He said he paid around $200 for it to be built, but that's material, welding, and powder coat, so it wouldn't be too bad if you find a local shop.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2010, 06:44 PM   #20
GatorsUF
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I am going to get one built. Can someone tell me how the locking mechanism works? Does it fit under the lip on the tailgate or what? It is supposed to lock with just the tailgate lock. Thanks!
Unread 04-01-2010, 09:20 PM   #21
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Mine has no lock other than the tailgate. You can see in the second pic how it's cut to fit around the latch mechanism area. Basically close the tailgate and lock it, there's no way to get in there other than getting the tailgate open.
Unread 04-01-2010, 10:41 PM   #22
RockWoRM
Don't Fear the Jeeper

1992 YJ Wrangler 

depending on how much storage you need, I have the Tuffy Speaker storage boxes on each fender well. they hold more junk than most would think. not the best pic, but you can see them under the saddle bags.

WRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80 CHOPPER View Post
Knowledge is a tool, without knowledge, you are just a tool.
RockWoRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2010, 01:04 PM   #23
GatorsUF
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timatoe View Post
Mine has no lock other than the tailgate. You can see in the second pic how it's cut to fit around the latch mechanism area. Basically close the tailgate and lock it, there's no way to get in there other than getting the tailgate open.
thats what I mean, how does it do that? I don't see how the tailgate secures it...just looks like it is up against it.

edit: does yours not flip open? That is where I am getting confused.
Unread 04-03-2010, 04:40 PM   #24
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
thats what I mean, how does it do that? I don't see how the tailgate secures it...just looks like it is up against it.

The one I have has a fixed top and three sides, the bottom is open where it sits on the Jeep floor and it's open to the back. When the tailgate is open there's plenty of access with it closed there's no access.
Unread 04-03-2010, 06:12 PM   #25
humbert810
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

The tailgate secures it because the seat slants back towards the tailgate. The higher you go up the back seat the smaller the opening. So you put the the "lid" down 4" from the top of the seat and make it fit tight between the tailgate and backseat at that height and there's no way your pulling it up through the smaller opening as the seat slants back. I mad my subwoofer box this way.
33x12.50x15 Firestone Destination MT's
This forum requires that you wait 60 seconds between searches. Please try again in 1 seconds.
humbert810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2010, 06:42 PM   #26
Rayd
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I cut the bottom corners off a rectangular storage locker. The old seat brackets hold it in place.

Rayd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2010, 07:28 PM   #27
bikerjr1
1993 YJ Wrangler 

This is a truck box similar to what I use. Mine was salvaged from the dump at work. I fits just between the fender wells. I also didn't want to drill any holes in the floor so I used the stock seat bolts holes. It is secure unless someone with a lot of time or a really really big crowbar.
JR
bikerjr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2010, 08:11 PM   #28
YJMatt95
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Just get a large gear bag. Take it in and out of the jeep when you get home, and put it somewhere safe and dry. That's the way I do it. It's worth the peace of mind. Even though your name is on the coat, bunker gear belongs to the city you work for, in most cases. It's not worth the risk of "losing" it.
YJMatt95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2010, 02:39 PM   #29
CrawlingForward
Rookies Happen.

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Hate to be the lame one compared to all these awesome solutions, but if you want something simple (or even just a temporary solution while you're making the real one) I just got a cheap lockable FatMax toolbox, lock that, and then use a cable to lock it to the rollcage.

It's not impenetrable, but you can move it around if you want the seat folded up or set up. (It keeps the seat in place too, which is nice)

I was planning something elaborate as well for mine that would involve tie-downs for the dog as well. Turned out I need to be a bit more versatile and simple solution was the most practical. I just created a harness for the dog that buckles into the back seat female buckles.

95 YJ, Rio Grande - The Wannabe Sleeper Wheeler
2010 JKU, Islander Edition - The Burly Stock Overlander

- North Shore Jeep Club -
Build/Wheel/Break/Educate/Upgrade/Repeat
CrawlingForward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2010, 04:51 PM   #30
GilNewJeeper
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I am looking for something to lock my bunker gear into the rear of my Jeep with. It doesn't have to be impenetrable, but it should be atleast lockable. Until now I have gone by the honor system, but I am back to floating from station to station so my bunker gear stays in my vehicle. Since the gear doesn't technically belong to me and if it were to get stolen I would be in big trouble ($2000 worth of gear) I kinda need to keep it outa sight.

I have seen the Besttop "Extendatrunk" which is almost perfect to what I want, but I am not sure it will fit a YJ. I was looking into just toolboxes or underbed boxes, but I don't want to spend a fortune. The extendatrunk is $300 and seems a bit overpriced since I can get a powdercoated toolbox for that much. Anyone have any suggestions?
Did you try this WEB: doubledfab.com you can e-mail this guy at: dbldfab@gmail.com Cell: 717-419-5283. He fabricates dash, consoles and other things for TJ's, YJ"s and CJ's.

GilNewJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.