Locking Rear Storage for YJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Locking Rear Storage for YJ

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueOfficial Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto Un

Unread 03-25-2010, 08:31 PM   #1
GatorsUF
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Locking Rear Storage for YJ

I am looking for something to lock my bunker gear into the rear of my Jeep with. It doesn't have to be impenetrable, but it should be atleast lockable. Until now I have gone by the honor system, but I am back to floating from station to station so my bunker gear stays in my vehicle. Since the gear doesn't technically belong to me and if it were to get stolen I would be in big trouble ($2000 worth of gear) I kinda need to keep it outa sight.

I have seen the Besttop "Extendatrunk" which is almost perfect to what I want, but I am not sure it will fit a YJ. I was looking into just toolboxes or underbed boxes, but I don't want to spend a fortune. The extendatrunk is $300 and seems a bit overpriced since I can get a powdercoated toolbox for that much. Anyone have any suggestions?

Unread 03-25-2010, 08:33 PM   #2
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Search around the forum for trunk storage etc. There are several members that build wooden or metal storage covers that cover the rear bed and slant down following the rear seat to block people from getting in. Then your tailgate becomes the lock.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2010, 08:35 PM   #3
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Do you have the keys to your tailgate? If you do then you can make up a cover to go behind your rear seat (or all the way forward if you run without one) and just use the tailgate to lock stuff up. There are a few writeups on how to do it... just need to search for them

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2010, 10:23 PM   #4
jeeepguy
1998 ZJ 

This is the best security trunk you can buy...

Tuffy

"Great danger lies in the notion that we can reason with evil"
Doug Patton
Quote:
...We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. ...I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post...
Quote:
I bought the HI-WAY BLASTER HORN that's 139dB and every time I honk the horn an Angel dies.
Quote:
Revelation 13:16-18
16 - He causes all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on their right hand or on their foreheads,
17 - and that no one may buy or sell except one who has the mark or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.
18 - Here is wisdom. Let him who has understanding calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man: (Real ID and RFID chips)
Think about it...
jeeepguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2010, 11:18 PM   #5
sailmike83
1994 YJ Wrangler 

First... you're lucky we have to wait until 2013.

Second, and more on topic, what type of storage are you looking for? behind the rear seat, under the rear seat, in place of the rear seat?
sailmike83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2010, 11:34 PM   #6
Fhajad
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeepguy View Post
This is the best security trunk you can buy...

Tuffy
Looks like I can take my wrench, take out the four bolts, then carry it off for later opening.
Fhajad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2010, 04:57 AM   #7
GatorsUF
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I need something big, in place of the rear seat. I made a cover out of plywood a long time ago, but it warped and was trashy looking.
Unread 03-26-2010, 05:01 AM   #8
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailmike83 View Post
First... you're lucky we have to wait until 2013.
What exactly does this mean???????

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Unread 03-26-2010, 05:03 AM   #9
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorsUF View Post
I need something big, in place of the rear seat. I made a cover out of plywood a long time ago, but it warped and was trashy looking.
What about a large locking tote???

Check out Joe Dillard's post here: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/rear-storage-674971/

That or the truck boxes in that thread bolted to the floor.

Unread 03-26-2010, 08:24 AM   #10
tuffy2
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fhajad View Post
Looks like I can take my wrench, take out the four bolts, then carry it off for later opening.
We made the trunk so that you can't do this. The mounting bolts run from the bottom up into the trunk where they are held in place by nylock nuts. Even if someone were to take the time to crawl around under the vehicle and try to unbolt it, the bolts would just spin with the nuts because they can't get a wrench on the nylock nuts since they are locked inside the box.
tuffy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2010, 08:30 AM   #11
tuffy2
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorsUF View Post
I am looking for something to lock my bunker gear into the rear of my Jeep with. It doesn't have to be impenetrable, but it should be atleast lockable. Until now I have gone by the honor system, but I am back to floating from station to station so my bunker gear stays in my vehicle. Since the gear doesn't technically belong to me and if it were to get stolen I would be in big trouble ($2000 worth of gear) I kinda need to keep it outa sight.

I have seen the Besttop "Extendatrunk" which is almost perfect to what I want, but I am not sure it will fit a YJ. I was looking into just toolboxes or underbed boxes, but I don't want to spend a fortune. The extendatrunk is $300 and seems a bit overpriced since I can get a powdercoated toolbox for that much. Anyone have any suggestions?
Tuffy just released this Security Deck Enclosure that will fit the YJ. It is really sweet because it is super secure, yet can be removed by the owner in seconds when extra space is needed.

Unread 03-26-2010, 08:52 AM   #12
ErikJordan
Pimp Hand

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffy2 View Post
We made the trunk so that you can't do this. The mounting bolts run from the bottom up into the trunk where they are held in place by nylock nuts. Even if someone were to take the time to crawl around under the vehicle and try to unbolt it, the bolts would just spin with the nuts because they can't get a wrench on the nylock nuts since they are locked inside the box.
Do you guys plan to make your wares with aluminum in the near future?
You have some great products, but they are generally very heavy.

I'd be interested in seeing an aluminum center console with the provision for the radio as well as an aluminum cover similar to what you have posted here, but mounted flush to the top of the wheel wells, and capable of supporting the weight of tools, or spare tire on top of it. * rattle free is also important.

Add in a few footman loops on either side to strap junk onto it, and you really have something

What is all of this talk of Savvily designed products?
ErikJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2010, 09:27 AM   #13
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffy2 View Post
That might be just what you need.

I picked this up locally for $50, it's aluminum and is basically 3 sides and a top, fit right in place and is secured using the back door. I added the track on top to secure other gear down.

timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2010, 09:54 AM   #14
tuffy2
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikJordan View Post
Do you guys plan to make your wares with aluminum in the near future?
You have some great products, but they are generally very heavy.

I'd be interested in seeing an aluminum center console with the provision for the radio as well as an aluminum cover similar to what you have posted here, but mounted flush to the top of the wheel wells, and capable of supporting the weight of tools, or spare tire on top of it. * rattle free is also important.

Add in a few footman loops on either side to strap junk onto it, and you really have something
We do make some products out of aluminum already and are always looking at new things we can do. Our primary selling feature is securing items in the vehicle and in most cases steel is a better option than aluminum for that just because of the resistance to bending, etc.. The steel is heavier than aluminum but suprisingly is quite a bit lighter than a lot of the wood type products that people are building to contain their gear. There is a good chance of seeing an aluminum cover like you have suggested but I don't know of any immediate plans for an aluminum console.
Unread 03-26-2010, 10:00 AM   #15
MLJeeper
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I went this route with a tool box

the rear seat mounts secure it. Easily swappable back to the 3rd seat when needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Any video of the sound?
MLJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.