JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   YJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/)
-   -   Locking Hubs (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/locking-hubs-1589953/)

the_hub49 09-15-2013 07:42 PM

Locking Hubs

Is it possible to install locking hubs on my front axle? and if so has anyone done something like this and what kinda work does it entail? I assume it would help a little with MPG, and maybe with wear and tear on the front diff/axles. If most other 4WD rigs have them why not Jeep?

superj 09-15-2013 07:44 PM

Jeep used to have them, like other manufacturers used to have them. No one does anymore

the_hub49 09-15-2013 07:52 PM

why not any more? Would installing a set do me any real good?

Old4X 09-15-2013 07:55 PM

There was a kit made by Warn (?) for the YJs. It was very expensive, and is no longer available. I haven't seen one in 8 years.

TSEJEEPERS 09-15-2013 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_hub49 (Post 16035881)
Is it possible to install locking hubs on my front axle? and if so has anyone done something like this and what kinda work does it entail? I assume it would help a little with MPG, and maybe with wear and tear on the front diff/axles. If most other 4WD rigs have them why not Jeep?

Warn used to make a conversion but I do not think they make them anymore.
Mile Marker makes one and so does Alloy USA.
Here is one made by Yukon.
http://completeoffroad.com/i-2757088...s-yawu-07.html
You will also have to replace the inner axle shaft if you are not running 297 u joints.
You are looking at $1000.00 or more. Thats alot of gas!

ROWA 09-15-2013 07:57 PM

There are kit's out there, but you would be better of using a Dana 44 or 60.

the_hub49 09-15-2013 08:19 PM

Ya ive been looking at the kits all night, and reading up on the ups and downs. As for front axles what is good upgrade for mild off road use?

Anticanman 09-15-2013 08:21 PM

Your stock front axle disconnects the passenger shaft and saves gas by not turning the front driveshaft.

Mean Max 09-15-2013 08:23 PM

Locking hubs are dinosaurs, and there's a reason they're extinct.

What's the problem with keeping the Dana 30?

Max

Mean Max 09-15-2013 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anticanman (Post 16037361)
Your stock front axle disconnects the passenger shaft and saves gas by not turning the front driveshaft.

Sorry, but I'm not buying that.

Typically, YJs with 4.0/manual transmissions & CADs get around 15 MPG, this is almost certain.

Oddly enough, similarly equipped TJs without CADs get the same MPG.

Just saying, don't drink the Kool-Aid.

Max

crackedcornish 09-15-2013 08:29 PM

the small 5 on 4.5" bolt pattern of the YJ doesn't leave a lot of room for a locking hub assy., so the ones that are (or were) available aren't as strong as the ones for larger diameter hubs/wheel bolt patterns

ETA: but Max I miss the manual locking hubs that I had on my CJ...there was just something about getting out at the head of the trail, airing down and turning the hubs, that I liked

squarelite 09-15-2013 08:41 PM

My jeep came with the warn hub conversion. I likely as it is a simpler setup than the cad. There is less chance for error with the cad removed. If I had to do it, I would dump the money into a hp 44.

Anticanman 09-15-2013 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mean Max (Post 16037561)
Sorry, but I'm not buying that.

Typically, YJs with 4.0/manual transmissions & CADs get around 15 MPG, this is almost certain.

Oddly enough, similarly equipped TJs without CADs get the same MPG.

Just saying, don't drink the Kool-Aid.

Max

Max,
As I don't dare disagree with you I'm going to compare apples to apples. My jeep with the cad got 2 more mpg than when I swapped it for a solid shaft. Overall, I think the big picture is "Don't buy a jeep if you're going to worry about gas mileage". On a different note, how are the Mosquitos down there? They made the news.

Mean Max 09-15-2013 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anticanman (Post 16038289)

Max,
As I don't dare disagree with you I'm going to compare apples to apples. My jeep with the cad got 2 more mpg than when I swapped it for a solid shaft. Overall, I think the big picture is "Don't buy a jeep if you're going to worry about gas mileage". On a different note, how are the Mosquitos down there? They made the news.

I'm pretty sure that a 2 MPG difference can depend on how you're feeling that day, or what tunes you're listening to. Either way, in my opinion it's negligible.

Not worth spending $$ on, really.

Yep, my county (Martin) leads the count on dengue fever cases. It's pretty bad.

Max

the_hub49 09-16-2013 07:35 PM

wow that took off:) what does CAD stand for. And I also enjoyed getting and locking in my hubs. besides the Dana what other front axles can i swap in??

The time now is 09:40 PM.