LOCKERS: front or rear? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > LOCKERS: front or rear?

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Savvy FREE SHIPPING!Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

View Poll Results: Which axle should be locked first?
FRONT: Dana 30 30 66.67%
REAR: Ford 8.8 15 33.33%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
Unread 08-21-2013, 02:42 PM   #31
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen
 
Randonexplosion's Avatar
1988 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Cortez, Colorado
Posts: 4,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by warthog312 View Post
That's what I was leaning towards.

My only concern with that is, V8 power+ two piece shafts+ small u joints+ big tires+ locker = BOOOOM.

I don't know if that front is ready to handle all that!
I haven't had an issue yet on 33's with a stock D30/Aussie and a permanently locked CAD.

__________________
5.3/4l60e swap

August YJOTM

Exiled Offroad - Colorado
Randonexplosion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2013, 10:33 AM   #32
warthog312
The Craigslist Crawler
 
warthog312's Avatar
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randonexplosion View Post
permanently locked CAD.
Care to elaborate?
__________________
Click for build thread: HONEYBADGER - 302//435//20//8.8
>>>the single greatest investment you can make for your jeep is to buy a good welder, and learn how to use it<<<
warthog312 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2013, 10:53 AM   #33
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen
 
Randonexplosion's Avatar
1988 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Cortez, Colorado
Posts: 4,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by warthog312 View Post
Care to elaborate?
During my engine swap I must have crunched the vac lines that go to the CAD. So instead of screwing with replacing them, I just pulled the cover/fork and removed the "e"? clips, slid the fork over to the locked position and put them back in.
__________________
5.3/4l60e swap

August YJOTM

Exiled Offroad - Colorado
Randonexplosion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2013, 11:06 AM   #34
warthog312
The Craigslist Crawler
 
warthog312's Avatar
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randonexplosion View Post
During my engine swap I must have crunched the vac lines that go to the CAD. So instead of screwing with replacing them, I just pulled the cover/fork and removed the "e"? clips, slid the fork over to the locked position and put them back in.
Cool. I was just curious if you were on to something new as far as bastard CAD. I just got the Rusty's cable system because with the engine swap I didn't want to deal with all that vacuum crap, and eventually I'm planning on going with the one-piece shafts, as funds allow.
__________________
Click for build thread: HONEYBADGER - 302//435//20//8.8
>>>the single greatest investment you can make for your jeep is to buy a good welder, and learn how to use it<<<
warthog312 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2013, 11:22 AM   #35
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen
 
Randonexplosion's Avatar
1988 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Cortez, Colorado
Posts: 4,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by warthog312 View Post
Cool. I was just curious if you were on to something new as far as bastard CAD. I just got the Rusty's cable system because with the engine swap I didn't want to deal with all that vacuum crap, and eventually I'm planning on going with the one-piece shafts, as funds allow.
I'm planning on going to TJ shafts as well, when I can get a hold of some, so I didnt want to waste money on the CAD.
__________________
5.3/4l60e swap

August YJOTM

Exiled Offroad - Colorado
Randonexplosion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2013, 04:16 PM   #36
XJ93
Registered User
1993 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 820
If you're running an LSD rear and you are planning on upgrading the front axle run her as is and save up for the upgrade.
XJ93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2013, 10:23 PM   #37
navman
Registered User
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Mass
Posts: 681
The trick with that axle/motor combo is remembering what you have. It's very easy to go out and rip everything apart with a heavy foot but the extra power allows you to be able to ease up stuff without running out of power. Lock the front so you can at least get that up and over then deal with the rear lol.
__________________
95 YJ 5.0 linked etc
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...-build-931241/
navman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2013, 01:53 PM   #38
dukeryder
Registered User
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Boulder, Colorado
Posts: 140
I put a Spartan up front in my Dana 30 that I scored new on ebay for about ~$200, the rear is a Ford 8.8 4.10 with LSD. The set up works very well for me with the CAD front axle as I can put it into 2wd and make tight turns on the trail.

I also like my set up as it's not scary to drive in the snow either. If I had some kind of selectable locker (like an OX) in the rear that would be awesome but my set up is pretty cheap in comparison.
dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2013, 08:03 AM   #39
warthog312
The Craigslist Crawler
 
warthog312's Avatar
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 853
Quote:
Originally Posted by navman
The trick with that axle/motor combo is remembering what you have. It's very easy to go out and rip everything apart with a heavy foot but the extra power allows you to be able to ease up stuff without running out of power. Lock the front so you can at least get that up and over then deal with the rear lol.
Yeah wheeling with all my newfound V8 power is sure to have a learning curve consisting of many broken u joints I'm sure haha. I look forward to it though, the swap is nearly complete. All that's left is to work out the clutch linkage and wiring harness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukeryder
I put a Spartan up front in my Dana 30 that I scored new on ebay for about ~$200, the rear is a Ford 8.8 4.10 with LSD. The set up works very well for me with the CAD front axle as I can put it into 2wd and make tight turns on the trail.

I also like my set up as it's not scary to drive in the snow either. If I had some kind of selectable locker (like an OX) in the rear that would be awesome but my set up is pretty cheap in comparison.
Yep, snow is a big concern. I've heard nightmares about street driving vehicles with full time lockers in the snow and ice. It's a legitimate concern here in Chicago. The Jeep isn't my DD, but it'll see a good amount of service in snowy conditions just because it's better than my other car in that. eBay scares me when it comes to things like lockers, only because I know how much they take abuse.
__________________
Click for build thread: HONEYBADGER - 302//435//20//8.8
>>>the single greatest investment you can make for your jeep is to buy a good welder, and learn how to use it<<<
warthog312 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2013, 10:36 AM   #40
dukeryder
Registered User
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Boulder, Colorado
Posts: 140
The Spartan I scored off of eBay was New in the box all the parts were still vacuum sealed to the cardboard. Always worth a shot to find someone that bought something and didn't get around to installing it. I'd probably never buy a used one.
dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2013, 01:25 PM   #41
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Vernal, Utah
Posts: 1,832
Quote:
Originally Posted by warthog312 View Post
Yep, snow is a big concern. I've heard nightmares about street driving vehicles with full time lockers in the snow and ice. It's a legitimate concern here in Chicago. The Jeep isn't my DD, but it'll see a good amount of service in snowy conditions just because it's better than my other car in that. eBay scares me when it comes to things like lockers, only because I know how much they take abuse.
Yes, take it from me. Driving on an icy or slick road with lockers can be, and IS, a scary situation at best.

Many years back, I was driving on Colorado Natl. Monument just outside of Fruita, Colorado. It just snowed the night before, it was a wet heavy snow with a layer of ice under neath. I was running D44's front and rear and both axles were loaded with Trac-Locs (which acted much like a locker in that light of a rig). I came up to an uphill turn and there was a vehicle coming my way. Even though my wheels were turned to the right my XJ kept going straight. The ONLY way that I could overcome the problem was by stepping on the gas to power out of going straight. I saw the looks of the drivers eyes when my Jeep was coming at him, and yes, I was a bit nervous too. Once he had passed, I stopped my rig and looked at my tracks, my front wheels had made plows of snow on the left side of the tracks.

That experience can get even a non-drinking man to start drinking.
__________________
Robert.

Quoted from eflightray on RCGroups.com;
"Make something 'fool-proof', and nature will just produce better fools."
remmons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2013, 05:59 PM   #42
EYJ
Registered User
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Huntersville, NC
Posts: 8
Lock the rear first.
A locked (or stiff LSD) front is HARD TO TURN. I run a Dana PowerLock in my D60 front and It wouldn't turn if I didn't have ram assist. Even on the street!
Plus if you're in a climbing situation, most of the vehicle weight will be transferred to the rear anyway and that's where you'll want that locker.
IMO street manners of a locked (not spooled or Lincoln-locked) rear aren't as bad as some people say (I have a Detroit Locker in my D60 rear). It'll let you know it's back there here and there but that's about it, unless you have a lead foot and abuse your vehicle on the street.
As far as snow, sure it can be a little more squirrely than an open rear but you'll have more available traction - just learn to drive with it. .02
EYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2013, 10:10 PM   #43
linusb
Registered User
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Lexington,SC
Posts: 1,775
I have same Axle combo as you and put in an Aussie locker up front. I love it. I'm in SC and don't have snow to deal with so I can't comment on the handling in such conditions.
__________________
1994 YJ Wrangler, 4.0, AX15, NP231, 35x12.50x15 BFG KM2s, 4" RC lift, 1" lift Boom Shackles, 1" BL, 4.10 gears, 8.8 LSD in rear and D30 Aussie Locker in front, on-board air conversion, Ramsey RE8000 winch.
linusb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools






Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.