JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   YJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/)
-   -   Lockers (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/lockers-1512417/)

smartin1 04-21-2013 11:46 AM

Lockers
 
I want to put lockers on my yj but I know nothing about installing them I only know the purpose, can someone lead me in the right direction if this is something I can do myself, what to buy, what tools I'm going to need how much money I'm going to be into this for And keep in my I have zero experience with differential gearing. I have a dana30 in front and dana35 in rear

Wrangler11 04-21-2013 11:52 AM

Try searching. If you've never installed a locker or referred you probably don't want to try and do it yourself.

roadyrob 04-21-2013 12:57 PM

a lunchbox locker is doable even for a rookie, checkout aussie or spartan. there are some videos on youtube that will show you whats involved.

Anticanman 04-21-2013 02:24 PM

You don't want to lock the rear. Well, the rear you have currently. The Lunchbox locker idea is great for the front but without knowing anything about your jeep let alone your wheeling habits or locations we can't help. Throw out a little more info and fill in your profile and then let's try this again.

smartin1 04-21-2013 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anticanman
You don't want to lock the rear. Well, the rear you have currently. The Lunchbox locker idea is great for the front but without knowing anything about your jeep let alone your wheeling habits or locations we can't help. Throw out a little more info and fill in your profile and then let's try this again.

Why don't I want to lock the rear?

grnd93 04-21-2013 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smartin1

Why don't I want to lock the rear?

D35 is a notoriously weak axle and locking it only adds stress. But many other factors come into play such as tire size and driving style.

That being said, I have a locked 35 in my TJ and I love it. I know it will break some day, that just gives me an excuse to upgrade.

Jr76 04-21-2013 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smartin1

Why don't I want to lock the rear?

They brake ****.
They are tuff on tires in town, prone to bad handling when off and on the go go pedal.
Sounds like gremlins are tearing poop apart when you go around corners.
If you play in the ice and snow they tend to slide down the crown of the road.

But I say go for it, for the $ a lunchbox can be a lot of fun.

Anticanman 04-21-2013 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smartin1 (Post 15327157)
Why don't I want to lock the rear?

Yep. Them goes boom.

pasinbuy 04-21-2013 04:03 PM

All good advise. Just lock the front with a Aussie Locker. It is pretty easy with normal tools. The direction will say that you do not need to replace the front seals. Do replace both seals! When installing the locker watch the shims that come out closely and re-install two of the shims. Go slow and be organized. Now for the best advise when you ask a question on the forum.

Please fill in your profile completely. It helps us to help you without asking you questions that should be in the profile.

Joe Dillard 04-21-2013 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anticanman (Post 15327125)
You don't want to lock the rear. Well, the rear you have currently. The Lunchbox locker idea is great for the front but without knowing anything about your jeep let alone your wheeling habits or locations we can't help. Throw out a little more info and fill in your profile and then let's try this again.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pasinbuy (Post 15327471)
All good advise. Just lock the front with a Aussie Locker. It is pretty easy with normal tools. The direction will say that you do not need to replace the front seals. Do replace both seals! When installing the locker watch the shims that come out closely and re-install two of the shims. Go slow and be organized. Now for the best advise when you ask a question on the forum.

Please fill in your profile completely. It helps us to help you without asking you questions that should be in the profile.

Excellent advice guys. :)

If the OP wants help, he'd do what you advised first. Otherwise, sage advice isn't something that's going to happen, at least by me.

linusb 04-21-2013 08:04 PM

Front Aussie or similar auto locker fairly easy. I'd never been in my differential before and I've got mine in with 7 or 8 thousand miles under her and no issues. I chickened out on doing the seals.

Hardest part I think was getting carrier out as well as back in. The latter wasn't hard. But it just didn't feel like it was going in right. The locker is one of my favorite mods. Most bang for the buck for improving off road performance in my opinion.

DirtKar 04-21-2013 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jr76 (Post 15327171)
They brake ****.
They are tuff on tires in town, prone to bad handling when off and on the go go pedal.
Sounds like gremlins are tearing poop apart when you go around corners.
If you play in the ice and snow they tend to slide down the crown of the road.

But I say go for it, for the $ a lunchbox can be a lot of fun.

Howdy neighbor!
My Lockright front doesn't make any noise and has great manners.:rtft:

kjg26 04-21-2013 09:51 PM

In the front, with the factory disconnect set up....an auto locker would be essentially invisible correct? With ZERO effect on road manners. once in four wheel drive it will be apparent...correct? If I were to stitch to a tj/XJ pass side shaft, would the locker still be invisible in 2 wheel drive? Clicking? Affect on steering?

Anticanman 04-21-2013 10:29 PM

The locker is invisible until power is sent to it in 4wd.

kjg26 04-21-2013 10:55 PM

Any clicking? Noise?


The time now is 06:36 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.