Locker suggestions??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Locker suggestions???

Visit 1aauto.com For ShockTober Deals on Monroe shocks andAdvance Adapters SYE KitsFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 12-12-2007, 10:07 PM   #1
WGLWRM
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Locker suggestions???

I am looking to drop a locker into the rear of the ride. It a 8.8 and I was loocking at the lock rite from power track...

I really dont want to go with air lockers, cuse the luck I have been having here lately with the wrm isnt do good. Besides the less moving parts the better for me.
The wrm is my DD as well but just for in town, matbe city driving once in a blue moon.

I have 3.73 gears in the rear what would be a good locker to put in??

WGLWRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2007, 10:11 PM   #2
northjeep
Jeep parking ONLY

1988 YJ Wrangler 

aussie in mine and loving it.
lunchbox style!
http://www.offroadlockers.com/

Last edited by northjeep; 12-12-2007 at 10:22 PM..
northjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2007, 10:11 PM   #3
Borla87
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Aussie locker. Great lockers from what i hear. Just like the lock rite, but cheaper. I bought em for my Jeep.

()_)- ()_)---=-)_)
Borla87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2007, 10:27 PM   #4
WGLWRM
1988 YJ Wrangler 

would it be better to do the front or rear first? I have noticed on some postings that guys have a locker in the front and not the rear.
WGLWRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2007, 12:24 AM   #5
sentinal02
H2 Recovery Team Member

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WGLWRM
would it be better to do the front or rear first? I have noticed on some postings that guys have a locker in the front and not the rear.
most choose to lock the front over the rear because they still have the D35 in the rear or for the ability to make it disappear in 2wd. but a locker in either end will dramatically improve your traction. lock whichever you like and then save up for the other end

92 YJ 4.0L Ax-15 231
5" springs, 1" shackle 31's or 35's depending on my mood
sentinal02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2007, 06:45 AM   #6
GrimJeeper91
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Since he has the 8.8 in the rear strength isn't an issue. I would therefor lock the rear as typically there is more benefit from a locked rear than locked front. I prefer the strength and simplicity of a Detroit Locker, however, this would require a gear set up. If you are already going to regear than it's not an issue. However, if you are already happy with your gearing then dropping in a lunch box like an Aussie is by far the cheapest and easiest and still give you a strong unit (just not as strong as a full carrier unit).
'91 YJ 4.O, Auto, Rr. D60 w/ 35 Spline Alloy USA Axles & Detriot Locker, Fr. D30 True-Trac, 4.56's, 4.5" Deaver Springs, Bilstein 5100's, 1" BL, Rubi Flares, 35x12.50 MT/R's on MT classic II's, Detroit Locker, Vanco Big Brakes, Booster & Master, Warn 9000XDI, York OBA, AA SYE & TW's DS's, Teraflex Belly Up, Rocker Guards...
GrimJeeper91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2007, 06:54 AM   #7
bamato
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I run the lok-rite in the front, but the Aussie is just the same and cheaper. Like said above, I like running it up front, because in 2wd it's like it's not there with the axle disco.
Mud is your Friend :)

Tread Lightly
Please help keep our trails clean for future generations to enjoy outdoor recreation as well!
bamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2007, 08:21 AM   #8
MLJeeper
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I vote for the Detroit Locker as well if your gonna regear, but i also run an aussie in the front and love it. The powertrax locker is a bit more expensive option for a lunchbox locker but is MUCH smoother and completely quiet for a daily driver. Ive been real impressed with the one in my brother in laws TJ. But for the price of the powertrax your getting close to a full locker price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Any video of the sound?
MLJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2007, 10:32 PM   #9
jeeepguy
1998 ZJ 

Anything selectable. I' m not a fan of full or lunchbox lockers for DD vehicles, especially in bad weather states. Another good option and less than a selectable are the TruTrac units. Work great for any offroad other than hardcore rockcrawling.

"Great danger lies in the notion that we can reason with evil"
Doug Patton
Quote:
...We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. ...I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post...
Quote:
I bought the HI-WAY BLASTER HORN that's 139dB and every time I honk the horn an Angel dies.
Quote:
Revelation 13:16-18
16 - He causes all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on their right hand or on their foreheads,
17 - and that no one may buy or sell except one who has the mark or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.
18 - Here is wisdom. Let him who has understanding calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man: (Real ID and RFID chips)
Think about it...
jeeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2007, 10:50 PM   #10
Angler1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by northjeep
aussie in mine and loving it.
lunchbox style!
http://www.offroadlockers.com/

X'2

I had an aussie in my dana 30 and I destroyed everything around it Ring gear, crome moly axles, u-joints, EVRYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!! and when I chucked the dana 30 I un instALLED it and installed it in a tj with 37's and it it is still in service today!!!! big ups for a great product
94 YJ sahara, SOA, Dana 44 front, ford 9inch rear,Detroit Lockers, XJ rear springs, 38X12.50-15 Swamper TSL, GPS, durabak liner, 7500lb winch, fuel cell, teraflex super short SYE kit, CB, Baby Seat, [B]BUILT BY ME! [/B]
Angler1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2007, 07:02 AM   #11
Gasturbine
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeepguy
I' m not a fan of full or lunchbox lockers for DD vehicles, especially in bad weather states.
I can see a full locker not working out, but the lunchboxes do allow differentiation when turning.

Another plus for lunchboxes...inexpensive, and they simply drop in.
Gasturbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2007, 07:11 AM   #12
yj_hank
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I have an eaton e-locker in my 8.8. It works very well and it cost about $550.00. I like being able to select if I want the rear locked or not.

Henry
Unread 12-14-2007, 08:48 AM   #13
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I've been running an Eaton E-Locker in my 8.8 for over 4 years now and I really like it.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2007, 10:39 AM   #14
bestos
1995 YJ Wrangler 

i have AUSSIE front. my jeep is DD. if you lock the rear and drive in rain or snow, you can have bad driving problems. rear wheels try to push themselves right in front of the front wheels.

installation, in a D35 (which you dont have, you just pull the spider gears) on front D30, you HAVE to pull the Carrier to install it. so pick your poison. I installed in the front. so i DONT wear my tires faster, i dont stick turns and when it is raining i am safe, but the little mudding i do, i do good! i recommend front.
Unread 12-14-2007, 04:00 PM   #15
AZYJJK
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I have a Powertrax in my front D30 92 YJ that has been in there probably since 95. I have had no problems with it. When my rear D35 wore out at 60,000 there was no way that I was going to put any money into it to fix it so I replaced it with a D44 with a Detroit Locker and disks. At that time I lifted the Jeep. I like the Detroit but at times when I shift it does a little dance. I have read that that is normal. I have never driven it on a snowy road and I am not sure I would want to. My wife does not like to drive it so has a Rubicon on order to get the e-lockers.
AZYJJK is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.