Locker Installed - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Locker Installed

The NEW Revolution Gear and Axle from 4LowParts.comTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15Ē/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 03-25-2005, 10:54 PM   #1
wasaw
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Locker Installed

Does everyone feel stupid when they post a question? We just installed an Aussie on a '91 YJ. When in 2-wheel drive, is the front drive shaft supposed to turn all the time. Mine is and it's rubbing the exhaust pipe down tube. Will the shaft always be turning because of the locked carrier? Does anyone else have trouble with their front driveshaft rubbing against their exhaust downtube? The front axle is unlocked; we pulled the posi-lock and checked that out. Anyone with an idea?

wasaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2005, 11:07 PM   #2
kg6mti
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I have read in other posts that "Yes" your front shaft will turn all the time now because of the locked carrier.

Jeep
Unread 03-26-2005, 12:39 AM   #3
paultyler
Uncle Paul has spoken...

1992 YJ Wrangler 

It will always turn. My EZ does the same. The left front will always be "on" and turn the shaft. Only the front passenger wheel will disconnect in 2 wheel drive. It is no problem. Obviously you need to fix the rubbing thing. MIne rubbed once because it was not tight where it attaches to the manifold. Make sure the bolts are tight. You can fix it. It is a problem with the exhaust tube not the driveshaft.

My Jeep in the Snow

92 YJ, 35' MTR Kevlars, Klune/Dana 20, 4.88s, SYE, Rubicon D44s w/Rubicon lockers, front and rear Alloy USA chromoly shafts with 30 spline outers, JK electric swaybar, T&T tube fenders, custom cv driveshafts, RE 4.5 XD springs, M.O.R.E. 5/8'' boomerang shackles + 2' BL, 15lb Powertank, 4.0L TB & TB spacer, ARB Snorkel, K&N filter, rear bumper and tire rack, Rancho 9000s, AtoZ Rockers, Skid-Row Engine skid plate, Teraflex Bellyup, JCR Offroad 1 Ton TieRod, rock lights, RE hand throttle, M.O.R.E. roll cage, corners, 9000lb winch with synthetic cable in-cab winch controller (12voltguy.com), Dual Blue Top Optimas with 12voltguy dual battery controller, a/c (ackits.com)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshrad View Post
This Uncle Paul guy seems to know what he's talking about.
paultyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2005, 04:31 AM   #4
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasaw
When in 2-wheel drive, is the front drive shaft supposed to turn all the time. Mine is and it's rubbing the exhaust pipe down tube.
It sounds like the drive shaft is too close to the pipe anyway, spinning or not. If you ever plan to go off-road, and since you put in a locker I assume that to be the case, you will want that shaft to have lots of room to move around.
Unread 03-26-2005, 05:28 AM   #5
sticksnstonesru

Mine was rubbing right up until the downpipe broke at the flange. I didn't realize it was such a weak join till I pulled the downpipe off. Turns out to have been pretty rusty as well. Just a few jarring blows while wheeling was enough to snap it. The replacement downpipe I got from Advanced Auto for $65. Sits a couple inches from the front DS now. Still a low point though...

2007 Toyota Tundra Crew-max | 4x2 | 5.7L | Truxedo Tonneau | 20"'s | Leather | Fully debadged

1999 XJ | stock | 4.0
sticksnstonesru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2005, 07:09 AM   #6
wasaw
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys

Thanks to kg6mti, paultyler, JeeperDon, and sticksnstoneru for putting my mind at rest. I just wasn't sure if I had one problem or two. And yes, JepperDon, we're doing the work on this YJ so we can go and attack an area about a hundred miles from Nashville called Monteagle Mt. Once we get this rubbing fixed, and install the 8.8 that's sitting in the basement, we just might be ready to go. Thanks agains, guys.
wasaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.