locker front or rear??? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > locker front or rear???

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 08-17-2011, 09:29 PM   #31
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Do you want to hear the sound of a locked D35 snapping? Skip to around the 5:19 mark on this video.

Lock the front first. YJ's are perfectly set up for a front locker, with the vacuum disconnect. Yeah the front driveshaft constantly turns,...but so does the rear.

White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

My Jeep

'89 XJ Laredo Bone Stock

Member:The Wrecking Crew

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome
www.rubiconramblers.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Sanderson
You have no respect for excessive authority or obsolete traditions. You're dangerous and depraved, and you ought to be taken outside and shot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefstew
I may have proven that I am in fact an idiot, by all of your standards...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritjobbie View Post
Mr.B's post gets you as close to Buddha as you can get on JF...
Mr.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2011, 04:25 AM   #32
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
Do you want to hear the sound of a locked D35 snapping? Skip to around the 5:19 mark on this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HXCx...7EDF6E&index=4

Lock the front first. YJ's are perfectly set up for a front locker, with the vacuum disconnect. Yeah the front driveshaft constantly turns,...but so does the rear.
Glad I don't wheel mine like that. Up here in Snow Country (TM) a locked rear does just fine, especially since its mostly flat. The snow lets the drivetrain "slip" enough that the stress can't build up and break stuff. Since I have to DD mine thru the slop for ~6 mos every year, a locked rear is actually safer for me since the rear is used all the time. It moves when nothing else is.

So to answer the OP: I would take a real honest look at how you actually drive it, what kind of terrain and weather. That will tell you which end you should lock.
oldtime_ironman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2011, 05:46 AM   #33
jeepinmichguy_
I haz ah Geep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtime_ironman View Post
Glad I don't wheel mine like that. Up here in Snow Country (TM) a locked rear does just fine, especially since its mostly flat. The snow lets the drivetrain "slip" enough that the stress can't build up and break stuff. Since I have to DD mine thru the slop for ~6 mos every year, a locked rear is actually safer for me since the rear is used all the time. It moves when nothing else is.

So to answer the OP: I would take a real honest look at how you actually drive it, what kind of terrain and weather. That will tell you which end you should lock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
How about this, if you had the Jeep Spirit, you wouldn't abuse the rest of us trying to enjoy a nice day out wheeling by bringing your brokeass broken down junkyard crap out to play where it can't handle it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepForum123 View Post
you all have nice rigs, stop being f****** a**holes.
jeepinmichguy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2011, 06:04 AM   #34
Ironhead98
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I've got the front Aussie and the rear lsd. Eventually Ill get a rear aussie when my lsd gives out but ive got a d44. I love the setup and it handles great on the rocks. Runs fine with fully locked rigs. Ive seen open front and rear locked rigs have more problems than me on the trails because they dont have the pulling power coming up over obstacles. Also seems to be easier to get high centered with an open front when the rears come up and the front is down. Lock the front.
Ironhead98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2011, 06:07 AM   #35
Ironhead98
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HXCx...7EDF6E&index=4

Ouch! Sounds rough! He doesent look to be aired down all that much? Could just be the angle though.
Ironhead98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2011, 06:11 AM   #36
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
I don't get it, what's so funny? I've had rear lockers 3X in my life: one was in a 14-bolt, one was in an XJ cherokee, and one was in a D44. Nothing ever broke. It's the way to go in snow mud and slop. So really, WTF???

Way I see it the less time I have to spend in 4x4, the better. and a rear locker does that. Less to wear out, less to maintain and spend that way. I don't wheel for the fun of it - I do it because I need to get somewhere usually in the middle of a blizzard. More than once I was the only guy that showed up for work.
Unread 08-18-2011, 06:14 AM   #37
Section8ight
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Lock the front and put a detroit trutrac in the rear! Its a perfect setup for a daily driver!
Section8ight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2011, 07:20 AM   #38
jeepinmichguy_
I haz ah Geep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I don't get it, what's so funny? I've had rear lockers 3X in my life: one was in a 14-bolt, one was in an XJ cherokee, and one was in a D44. Nothing ever broke. It's the way to go in snow mud and slop. So really, WTF???

If you have run both front and rear lockers and don't understand the benefit of having a front over a rear yet, I laugh at the fact you are even attempting to justify it. The OP’s friend is probably running a Dana 35 anyway judging by the fact an axle swap has not been mentioned and the question in general. Why would ANYONE suggest locking that POS axle? It is just asking for problems. If he wants to maintain a stock feel in 4WD he should add a selectable locker to the front.

Quote:
Way I see it the less time I have to spend in 4x4, the better. and a rear locker does that.
In what situations are you referring to? The only thing I can think of is on road driving because who goes off road in 2WD and calls it fun? How exactly does it help in the snow in 2WD when a locked rear end plus the skinny pedal applied equals kicking the rear end sideways?

When in slippery conditions (we will use snow again as the example) turning is easier in 4WD of an open vehicle than a full time locked rear in 2WD. To much gas and the locked rear spins you out, with an open front in 4WD it pulls you in the direction you are turning, hence why it is hard to do a donut moving forward in a front wheel drive car. With a locked front and open rear in the snow in 4WD and both fronts spinning and a little to much gas you may keep going straight or have a much larger turning radius. However with some finess driving techniques it is much better than a locked rear in 2WD. If the OP is worried about that in the snow add a selectable locker to the mix and he will have the best of both worlds, then he can lock the rear when he has a rear end that can handle it and won't junk out on him. That is the recipe for a very streetable Jeep that is much better than a locked rear Jeep offroad in 4WD.

I have run Detroit lockers a few times in the rear of my Jeeps and while only having the rear locked off road, I was out with people with a front locker only. They made the stuff I struggled on look like a cake walk with. That’s the same thing my wife’s Jeep on 33’s does to a lot of peoples rigs now because we locked her front axle first.

I can take a open front and rear rig further in 4x4 than a Jeep with a rear locker in 2WD. That one tire pulling the Jeep helps more than 2 tires pushing.
Quote:
Less to wear out,
Right, you know last year I just replaced the stock ball joints on my Dana 30 in my YJ that has been on 35’s since 2003, and 33's before that since 2000? They were on for about 140,000 miles and a lot of that was retarded abuse. Did I mention it has had the crap beat out of it? U joints have held up well also. I replaced one due to breaking it. Replaced both once for being worn out, and replced one when I did a solid shaft conversion because the new shafts were out and I figured why not just put a new joint in. When I swapped in my chromo shafts the joints on the old shafts were fine and they are used as spares now. I have never had a R&P issue. I have put WAY more money into rear ends, open or locked than I have front ends open or locked (especially when we are talking about the Dana 35).

Quote:
less to maintain and spend that way.

Quote:
I don't wheel for the fun of it - I do it because I need to get somewhere usually in the middle of a blizzard. More than once I was the only guy that showed up for work.

That just points to the fact people can’t drive (and are scared of snow), which most of us already know. Ive gotten to work (back in the day) plenty of times 30 miles away in a blizzard using my sister's car and mom's mini van when the Jeep was broke .

On a lighter note I don't think the OP's friend will have many issues in the snow if he is also in Georgia.

Quote:
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
How about this, if you had the Jeep Spirit, you wouldn't abuse the rest of us trying to enjoy a nice day out wheeling by bringing your brokeass broken down junkyard crap out to play where it can't handle it?
Quote:
Unread 08-18-2011, 02:52 PM   #39
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
If you have run both front and rear lockers and don't understand the benefit of having a front over a rear yet, I laugh at the fact you are even attempting to justify it. The OPís friend is probably running a Dana 35 anyway judging by the fact an axle swap has not been mentioned and the question in general. Why would ANYONE suggest locking that POS axle? It is just asking for problems. If he wants to maintain a stock feel in 4WD he should add a selectable locker to the front.

In what situations are you referring to? The only thing I can think of is on road driving because who goes off road in 2WD and calls it fun? How exactly does it help in the snow in 2WD when a locked rear end plus the skinny pedal applied equals kicking the rear end sideways?

When in slippery conditions (we will use snow again as the example) turning is easier in 4WD of an open vehicle than a full time locked rear in 2WD. To much gas and the locked rear spins you out, with an open front in 4WD it pulls you in the direction you are turning, hence why it is hard to do a donut moving forward in a front wheel drive car. With a locked front and open rear in the snow in 4WD and both fronts spinning and a little to much gas you may keep going straight or have a much larger turning radius. However with some finess driving techniques it is much better than a locked rear in 2WD. If the OP is worried about that in the snow add a selectable locker to the mix and he will have the best of both worlds, then he can lock the rear when he has a rear end that can handle it and won't junk out on him. That is the recipe for a very streetable Jeep that is much better than a locked rear Jeep offroad in 4WD.

I have run Detroit lockers a few times in the rear of my Jeeps and while only having the rear locked off road, I was out with people with a front locker only. They made the stuff I struggled on look like a cake walk with. Thatís the same thing my wifeís Jeep on 33ís does to a lot of peoples rigs now because we locked her front axle first.

I can take a open front and rear rig further in 4x4 than a Jeep with a rear locker in 2WD. That one tire pulling the Jeep helps more than 2 tires pushing.

Right, you know last year I just replaced the stock ball joints on my Dana 30 in my YJ that has been on 35ís since 2003, and 33's before that since 2000? They were on for about 140,000 miles and a lot of that was retarded abuse. Did I mention it has had the crap beat out of it? U joints have held up well also. I replaced one due to breaking it. Replaced both once for being worn out, and replced one when I did a solid shaft conversion because the new shafts were out and I figured why not just put a new joint in. When I swapped in my chromo shafts the joints on the old shafts were fine and they are used as spares now. I have never had a R&P issue. I have put WAY more money into rear ends, open or locked than I have front ends open or locked (especially when we are talking about the Dana 35).

That just points to the fact people canít drive (and are scared of snow), which most of us already know. Ive gotten to work (back in the day) plenty of times 30 miles away in a blizzard using my sister's car and mom's mini van when the Jeep was broke .

On a lighter note I don't think the OP's friend will have many issues in the snow if he is also in Georgia.
I agree that something like an OX locker up front is a great idea.

But my experience with lockers is different than yours. I've never been able to get the rear to kick around with one. Rather they tended to pull straight like a FWD car. And when I put it in 4X4 it pulls even better, even with an open front.

You would be stupid to mash the gas in the deep slick stuff. The whole trick is finesse and smoothness and go easy.

Agreed most people are idiots when it gets slippery out. I see more soccer moms get a brand-new hummer and ditch it because they think 4X4 makes you into God or something.
Unread 08-18-2011, 03:08 PM   #40
jeepinmichguy_
I haz ah Geep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I've never been able to get the rear to kick around with one. .
Give it to much gas.

Quote:
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 08-19-2011, 04:34 AM   #41
SLADE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Front.

Far more benifits than a rear.
SLADE is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2011, 07:16 AM   #42
Skydmark1
1998 ZJ 

Just because i want to be part of the conversation i will say front also. I plan to put in a lunchbox locker up front once i swap in my axles from a 4 banger

Sent from my Droid using JeepForum
Unread 08-19-2011, 07:53 AM   #43
armyjeep85
1985 CJ7 

thanks everyone for all the info and your ! he went with an e-locker in the front!

and for the record, my CJ is your YJ's daddy!!!!!
i kid, i kid!!!

thanks for all the help!
armyjeep85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2011, 07:54 AM   #44
armyjeep85
1985 CJ7 

the little X was supposed to be the 2 cent sign.. guess it doesn't work anymore..
armyjeep85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2011, 12:18 PM   #45
jeepinmichguy_
I haz ah Geep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyjeep85 View Post
thanks everyone for all the info and your ! he went with an e-locker in the front!

and for the record, my CJ is your YJ's daddy!!!!!
i kid, i kid!!!

thanks for all the help!

Quote:
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
Quote:

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.