Locker advice for Dana 30/Ford 8.8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Locker advice for Dana 30/Ford 8.8

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 09-11-2011, 11:42 PM   #1
jvallery
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Locker advice for Dana 30/Ford 8.8

Hi Folks,

I'm in the middle of a build and I am trying to consider the various choices for lockers. My Jeep will be mostly a daily driver/trail rig. I'm not looking to do crazy rock crawling and when a decision needs to be made that favors on/off road performance I want to err on the side of on-road.

That being said, I'm trying to determine about what I should do from a locker perspective. In the front I've got the stock Dana 30 with 3.73 gears. In the rear I've got a Ford 8.8 with the limited slip diff that came with it (3L73 are the markings).

My gut says to leave the Ford 8.8 alone and upgrade the Dana 30. It seems to work okay (although I've not actually had it on the road yet - see build thread). I don't want to spend a ton of money on an ARB/OX locker in addition to all of the drama involved in routing cables/air lines. My first thought was what about Detroit?

I can get a Detroit locker via Summit for $549 and I wouldn't need anything additional?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DTL-162SL60B/

Would that add enough value over top of the stock diff to justify the cost and work? Would that make my setup make my rig fairly capable on the trail? Are folks running the Ford 8.8 factory limited slip setup generally happy with the performance of it?

Just looking for general thoughts on this combo.

Thanks!
-JV

Unread 09-11-2011, 11:53 PM   #2
4.7stroker
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I put a lock rite lunchbox locker in the front and installed a 8.8 lsd in the rear and find it to be a good on/off road combo. The lunch box is also half the price of a selectable.

Dwayne
4.7stroker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2011, 11:55 PM   #3
jeepnbrett
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I would suggest locking the front first. The combo of a front locker with LSD in the rear will be very capable off road. A selectable locker will give you the best of everything for on road manners and off road traction. If you don't want to spend the money or hassle with air or other lines then go with a lunchbox in the front. I ran a Lockrite in the front with the LSD rear for about 6 months and it worked well. After wanting more traction I installed Powertrax Noslip locker in the 8.8.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

4.0, AT, 3.5 Fabtech, 1" SRS, 1" BL, 35x13.50x15 Toyo MT's, HP30, TJ shafts, Lockrite, 8.8, Power Trax No Slip, 4.11's, Warn bumpers, W8274, SYE, and a bunch of other stuff....
jeepnbrett is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2011, 11:58 PM   #4
clarkjdg
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.7stroker View Post
I put a lock rite lunchbox locker in the front and installed a 8.8 lsd in the rear and find it to be a good on/off road combo. The lunch box is also half the price of a selectable.

Dwayne
^ Ive got the same setup and I couldn't be happier!!!
(o) )-(o) )-*-) )
88 YJ, Smittybilt SRC Front, Side, and Rear Armor, Family Roll Bars, TJ Flares, and Half Doors
4"Leaf, 2"Body, and 1"Leaf Lift, 4.10 Geared Dana 30 Posi with Cable Engage, Ford 8.8 Posi, With 33s BFGs MT KM2
Everything "Black" Inner, Under, and outer "Black" on the Body is "Bed Linered" and I will be Thru the day that I Die!
clarkjdg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2011, 11:59 PM   #5
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Did you swap front axles or gear sets to get 3.73's in the 2.5L AX-5?
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2011, 05:42 AM   #6
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I have a Lock-Right in my D30 and Aussie in the 8.8. My rig is driven to the trails but not daily. I love the combination but for your build you might want to look at a Detroit for the rear and a lunchbox up front. Just a thought though.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2011, 06:12 AM   #7
hesserdude07
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Lock rite in the D30, Welded in the 8.8. AMAZING!!
Unread 09-12-2011, 06:19 AM   #8
RustedWrangler
1990 YJ Wrangler 

My aussie in the 8.8 is almost unnoticable on the road, I just keep in mind, no accelerating around corners.

Spartan up front or any other lunchbox, if you still have the disconnect it wont do anything until you are in 4wd.
Unread 09-12-2011, 06:23 AM   #9
CJ51973
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Not a big fan of a locked front, LSD in back. I had this in a CJ once. I was heading up a rock. Once the front popped up over the top of the rock the rear gave it up/went to one wheel drive and I went backwards. Kind of did a ballet move (piroet?) and ended up my spare tire was the only thing that kept me off my lid. Went home and locked the rear. May not be everyone's experience but it was mine.

I have a Detroit in the back and a Truetrac in the front. Not a DD but I do drive it 70 miles one way to where I wheel & 50 miles one way to work about a day a week in the summer. I don't notice it.
Unread 09-12-2011, 08:48 AM   #10
Poke
runtime error = 0

2015 YJ Wrangler 

What tire size?

If you truly plan on a 6.0 SM465 Do NOT put a red cent into your dana 30. The weight and power will destroy that dana 30 every time out. The guy I wheel with the most, runs a v8 and dana 30 front. It breaks every time out...sometimes twice a trip. He will go wheeling 6-8 times a year and break 10-15 front shafts/u-joints a year.

We wheel the same obstacles, the same way. I left mine open intentionally, he locked his. I ran 35's he only ran 33's. He also ran limited slip in his rear Dana 44 so this is apples to apples of what you want to do.

In my experience if you run a V8 and lock the Dana30 you will hate life.

Lock the ford 8.8. When you are ready for a locked front end, throw the dana 30 in the trash.
Poke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2011, 11:10 AM   #11
jvallery
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
Did you swap front axles or gear sets to get 3.73's in the 2.5L AX-5?

I haven't installed them yet but I do have the 3.73 gears. I'll install them the same time I install whatever locker I buy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poke View Post
What tire size?

If you truly plan on a 6.0 SM465 Do NOT put a red cent into your dana 30. The weight and power will destroy that dana 30 every time out. The guy I wheel with the most, runs a v8 and dana 30 front. It breaks every time out...sometimes twice a trip. He will go wheeling 6-8 times a year and break 10-15 front shafts/u-joints a year.

We wheel the same obstacles, the same way. I left mine open intentionally, he locked his. I ran 35's he only ran 33's. He also ran limited slip in his rear Dana 44 so this is apples to apples of what you want to do.

In my experience if you run a V8 and lock the Dana30 you will hate life.

Lock the ford 8.8. When you are ready for a locked front end, throw the dana 30 in the trash.

I'm still trying to decide on tire size. I was planning 35s but have had feedback from a few folks that indicate you can't pass inspection in Colorado with larger than 33s. I'm not sure if that is true or not. So either 33s or 35s. I am going to be running a Chevy 5.3 with SM465 transmission. They are both already purchased and the transmission is in the shop right now getting re-built and all of the Novak stuff installed.
Unread 09-12-2011, 11:25 AM   #12
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I would stick with the 4.10 set up especially if you ever plan for 35's. As for the 8.8, 4.10 too. As far as lockers go, poke is right about the front being significantly weaker that the 8.8 so put a selectable in the rear so you have open driving with spool offroad and for the front go with something that's gonna give a little like an ected. It's LS and has a lot of give instead of breaking axles, you just lose traction and have the option to lock it up and push a little harder. I would also definitely recommend chromos up front. It's quite an investment but totally worth it.
Unread 09-12-2011, 11:37 AM   #13
jvallery
1992 YJ Wrangler 

The trouble with the 4.10 gear is that if I'm cruising down the interstate at 75mph in 4th gear (SM465 has no overdrive) I'll be running at 3130 rpms with 33 inch tires. By switching that to the 3.73 I'll bring that down to 2848 which is still higher than I'd like but tolerable. Again, on-road versus off-road.
Unread 09-12-2011, 12:27 PM   #14
The_Blacksmith
Genius with this metal

1993 XJ Cherokee 

aussie in the front. Weld the rear or get a full case spool.
The_Blacksmith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2011, 12:47 PM   #15
Poke
runtime error = 0

2015 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvallery View Post
I am going to be running a Chevy 5.3 with SM465 transmission. They are both already purchased and the transmission is in the shop right now getting re-built and all of the Novak stuff installed.
5.3 and SM465.... that gives me jeep envy. good combo!
Poke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.