Lock for tailgate? Need key or re-key - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Lock for tailgate? Need key or re-key

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 05-29-2010, 12:33 PM   #16
Burlbook48
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorsUF View Post
Ok, I got the cylinder out of the Jeep, but the pins are covered by a sheath. How do I get that off? The only way I could see was to take the black cover off the front/exposed part of the lock. I could do that but it would probably get destroyed....any tricks or what?
I have one key for both full doors, tailgate, and ignition. Bought a set of half doors, so I pulled the cylinders out of the them and had the cylinders changed to match my key. Now one key works for all 5 locks. Cost, 20 bucks at the local locksmith, and I don't have to worry about something not fitting right. I've already got too many other keys on my ring, keeping the number as low as possible was a plus for me.

Take your key in and get the tailgate cylinder made to match your ignition (and your doors if you can/want to as well).

Unread 05-29-2010, 04:33 PM   #17
GatorsUF
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I should probably reword my last post, I don't have locks on my doors. I had to change my ignition when I got the jeep since it didn't require a key to start it. so now the tailgate and the ignition don't match. I only have two keys on my keychain so I am fine with another key but the locksmith wanted $70 to make one. I am fine with either a new key or I can just figure out how to get my cylinder apart so I can rekey it. I just don't care so much to pay $50 for 3 cylinders when I only have a spot for 1, but I do appreciate the responces.
Unread 08-09-2011, 02:48 AM   #18
kbrawlz
1995 YJ Wrangler 

here is a video i made on keying all locks the same.

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-uv3GOfrWG4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

or

http://youtu.be/-uv3GOfrWG4

i'm not good on forums, so we'll see if the video embedded itself

also, shop around. i've been to locksmiths that will make a master for $20

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.