lock right issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > lock right issue

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 03-02-2013, 04:30 PM   #1
myers1122
1995 YJ Wrangler 

lock right issue

Have a 1995 jeep YJ with a dana 30 up front had a lock right locker installed a while back busted an outer axle shaft so i upgraded to the chrome molly axles ( the one on the right hand side done away with the shift fork that locks the two axles together ) (ONE PIECE AXLE ) now it seems like both are locked at all times cant turn it on the pavement. any ideas or remedies >?

myers1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2013, 05:33 PM   #2
BlueRubiconrich
1986 CJ7 

yeah that was the way they used to unlock the front axle now you added a one piece shaft. try lock out hub conversion or change out to CJ style bolt pattern with lock out hubs
BlueRubiconrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2013, 08:05 PM   #3
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Check your transfercase linkage. It sounds like it is not shifting out of 4 wd.
Unread 03-02-2013, 08:59 PM   #4
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Did you check the locker after the shaft install? It seems that it may have moved around a little inside and it wasn't unlocking at all. The one piece shaft will make the steering a little taut but not that you can't turn. The locker works with power added through the driveshaft so there is a problem with the linkage and there's power or the springs aren't spacing it out at all.
Unread 03-02-2013, 09:27 PM   #5
wayno32m

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like the same thing that happend to me when I went to the one piece axel shaft, figured out that the lock rite was not set up to correctly the first time (the gap tolerence on the locker was slightly off) I ended up adding an extra thrust washer (maybe a worn carrier), looked good to the eye but when I measured with a digital caliper it was to wide of a gap/tolerence. At least that was my expierience. Good luck
wayno32m is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2013, 10:02 AM   #6
bogleparsons
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayno32m View Post
Sounds like the same thing that happend to me when I went to the one piece axel shaft, figured out that the lock rite was not set up to correctly the first time (the gap tolerence on the locker was slightly off) I ended up adding an extra thrust washer (maybe a worn carrier), looked good to the eye but when I measured with a digital caliper it was to wide of a gap/tolerence. At least that was my expierience. Good luck
This is most likely your problem.

Open the diff again and check the locker with feeler gauges to ensure correct tolerances.
Unread 03-05-2013, 07:34 PM   #7
myers1122
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Good deal.

I hope this is it
Thanks
myers1122 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.