Lock plate issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Lock plate issues

Poison Spyder JK LED Taillight & Wiring Harness KitsPoison Spyder JK Crusher CornersPANDEMIC-USA 50" Double row LED LIGHT BAR!! These thi

Unread 01-02-2015, 05:02 PM   #1
sebestas21
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Lock plate issues

A few months back the ignition on my 87 wrangler jammed up and had to be replaced. Between the tear down and reorder of the new part I had to move the Jeep and popped the steering wheel back on to move it a short distance without the lock plate or anything else in place. Since then I haven't been able to get the lock plate to compress to the point where the ring can be put back into place. Always stops just a cm shy. Seems that the shaft has a little bit of play to it now too. What I've been told is the thrust washer and cap came out and I can't get them seated back in by the bearings. Anyone know of a possible fix? Tried loading it up with grease and forcing those back in with no luck.. Willing to try anything at this point.

sebestas21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2015, 06:13 AM   #2
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Lots of times the bearing pops out at the bottom of the column under the hood below the brake master. Especially if you used a hammer removing the wheel.
That said, sometimes you just have to have someone push up on the column under the hood to get the clearance back.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2015, 05:37 PM   #3
sebestas21
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I do see where you're talking about, there was a small gap. I had someone apply pressure there while I compressed the plate again with no luck. It just seems to reach a stopping point when compressing even though it can go down more. I've dug in to the four screws that you can reach when the pivot pins are taken out of the column. Would taking those out and getting farther in be of any benefit to getting that clearance back?
Unread 01-12-2015, 07:56 AM   #4
sebestas21
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Romain View Post
Lots of times the bearing pops out at the bottom of the column under the hood below the brake master. Especially if you used a hammer removing the wheel.
That said, sometimes you just have to have someone push up on the column under the hood to get the clearance back.
Hey mike,
Still tryin to figure this thing out. I think it may be those lower bearings out of place, but holding the column up didn't gain back that space. As far as approaching this, would digging in farther from the inside be better? Or do I need to drop the steering box so the shaft comes out?

Thanks for your response!
Unread 01-12-2015, 09:02 AM   #5
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Tilt column or fixed?

Are you using a lock plate compressor tool? If not, get one.

I would guess the bearing in the upper part of the column right under the wheel is out of place if it's not seating.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2015, 07:18 PM   #6
rubisean
1990 YJ Wrangler 

jbolty is exactly right, the upper race and castle are not seated... pull the shaft forward then seat the race and castle, the slop will now be gone. install the spring and lock plate
rubisean is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2015, 06:14 AM   #7
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebestas21 View Post

Hey mike,
Still tryin to figure this thing out. I think it may be those lower bearings out of place, but holding the column up didn't gain back that space. As far as approaching this, would digging in farther from the inside be better? Or do I need to drop the steering box so the shaft comes out?

Thanks for your response!
A photo of the lower column would show if that bearing is out of place or if it is the upper. If the lower is out, the column will be real sloppy.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2015, 09:38 AM   #8
sebestas21
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
Tilt column or fixed?

Are you using a lock plate compressor tool? If not, get one.

I would guess the bearing in the upper part of the column right under the wheel is out of place if it's not seating.
It's a tilt column, and I'm using a compressor tool. I think it is the upper bearing being out of place as well, just not sure how to re-seat it. I can either get the ring into place that pushes on the bearings and have the cap sit there with the spring pushing on it or else I can get the cap and ring together but not seated against the bearings which gives more play.
Unread 01-13-2015, 09:49 AM   #9
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

There is plenty of play in the upper shaft on a tilt column to have this happen with no movement at the lower bearing. It's pretty common for the bearings to come loose and fall out, they are just sitting there.

take a look here

http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/w...ck_Rebuild.pdf

The part you want starts on about page 55
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2015, 10:02 AM   #10
sebestas21
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
There is plenty of play in the upper shaft on a tilt column to have this happen with no movement at the lower bearing. It's pretty common for the bearings to come loose and fall out, they are just sitting there.

take a look here

http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/w...ck_Rebuild.pdf

The part you want starts on about page 55
I think I've tried having them together before compressing but the cap tends to always pop out when that ring gets forced into place. I'll give it another go today though, that makes sense as it would buy back that centimeter I need.
Unread 01-13-2015, 08:46 PM   #11
rubisean
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Pull the shaft forward,once pulled forward you can seat the race and castle. When I say pull forward if you have to place the wheel on with the nut so you are able to pull the shaft. Once it is up pit the race into place
rubisean is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.