Lock cylinders - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Lock cylinders

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 02-05-2013, 12:27 PM   #1
87TPIYJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Lock cylinders

Does anyone know if the lock cylinders for the ignition are interchangeable between the YJ years. I have an 87 with the GM style lock cylinder and I want to do the newer style double sided key. I am replacing my tailgate lock cylinder because I dont have a key to it. The new replacement comes with a newer style key. Long story short I would like to use the same key for both and if I can use a newer style key in the ignition I can change the pins to match the tailgate lock cylinder. Thanks.

Unread 02-05-2013, 01:26 PM   #2
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

I believe the will not interchange, but I may be wrong. It's been a while since I've those columns apart.

Why not just replace the tailgate lock cylinder with the same style as is currently in place? Or take the lock cylinder to a locksmith and have them fit a key to the existing lock?

You say you can change the pins to match the tailgate cylinder. You have the rekeying kit? They're generally not available to the general public.

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2013, 01:34 PM   #3
87TPIYJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Well, for one I hate my GM key, dont ask.. its just preference. Tumblers are availible to purchase on the internet or you can purchase parts from your local lock smith.

I watched this video and it seems super easy to do.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uv3GOfrWG4&feature=youtu.be
Unread 02-06-2013, 10:18 PM   #4
87TPIYJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Bump. Anyone know for sure? I have read other places yes, but know one had said they had actually done it .
Unread 02-13-2013, 01:03 PM   #5
87TPIYJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Unread 02-13-2013, 01:49 PM   #6
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Why not call a locksmith to make sure. The lockcylinder is definitely diffeent but that doesnt mean it will not work in the older column. They will definitely know for sure. Post back.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.