JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   YJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/)
-   -   A little vibration (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/little-vibration-953705/)

H_Swank 01-21-2010 02:03 PM

A little vibration

Just got through building my rig. Its got the TJ 4.0L and the AX-15 married to the NP231.

I am getting some vibration, mainly while I am decelerating without pushing the clutch. When I hit the clutch its all quite. I am running Mercron IV ATF in the tranny and xfer case.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Mean Max 01-21-2010 02:50 PM

What did the AX-15 come out of? :confused:

Max :cheers2:

ritjobbie 01-21-2010 03:04 PM

ATF in a manual gearbox?

I'd check u-joints. Replace them all if it's never been done.

postaldave 01-21-2010 03:20 PM

rear diff might be going out.

Mean Max 01-21-2010 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ritjobbie (Post 8736748)
ATF in a manual gearbox?
Very common. Many manufacturers (Volvo for one) call out ATF for their manual gearboxes.

I'd check u-joints. Replace them all if it's never been done.
Good idea! :thumbsup:

Max :cheers2:

mrmud4x4 01-21-2010 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 01Extreme69 (Post 8736280)
Just got through building my rig. Its got the TJ 4.0L and the AX-15 married to the NP231.

I am getting some vibration, mainly while I am decelerating without pushing the clutch. When I hit the clutch its all quite. I am running Mercron IV ATF in the tranny and xfer case.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Make sure your tranny mount bolts are tight.(on the skid plate) When you decel...tranny may be lifting a little, or rotating.

TheDuke17 01-21-2010 05:40 PM

Mine did the same thing a few months before the rear carrier bearing went out.

H_Swank 01-21-2010 07:32 PM

AX-15 is out of a 97 TJ along with the motor. I wasnt sure what the tranny called for, a friend said he ran ATF in his. Plus the seal on the xfer case input if gone, so I figured I would run the same fluid in both.

It dont sound like ujoints, but I guess anything is possible. I will check the tanny mount since I had to fab something up cause the skid plate was for a BA10.
Any suggestions as far as upgraded ujoints?

MJMPC 01-21-2010 07:45 PM

I dont think I would run ATF in a man trans .

mrmud4x4 01-21-2010 07:46 PM

I would get a seal in there and drain that ATF out, put in a good synthetic oil or penzoil synchromesh.

jus curious - How does it shift?

4.7stroker 01-21-2010 07:52 PM

There is nothing wrong with ATF in manual trannies. My Mustang T45 has been using ATF for 14 years and my Jeep AX15 has been using ATF for 2 years and both shift just like new.
I would check mounts, all driveline u-joints and pinion angle, I would also check for slop in the bearings of the xfer case and diff.

Dwayne

H_Swank 01-21-2010 08:04 PM

It shifts ok. I think it should be better. A little grind going into reverse, but nothing major. I am going to replace the ATF with Sythetic 10W-30. What should I run in the xfer case?

I havent messed with U joints in forever. How can I check them to see if they are the problem?

mrmud4x4 01-21-2010 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 01Extreme69 (Post 8738617)
It shifts ok. I think it should be better. A little grind going into reverse, but nothing major. I am going to replace the ATF with Sythetic 10W-30. What should I run in the xfer case?

I havent messed with U joints in forever. How can I check them to see if they are the problem?

The driveshaft ujoints are actually shaped like a cross, they connect the U of the driveshaft with the U of the yoke.

Turn your driveshaft by hand while you hold the yoke steady, see if there is play, any popping/clicking while you rotate shaft back and forth.(jus leave it in gear and on the ground) Also visually look at the "cap" of the ujoint and the cap straps and bolts that hold the straps in place. (small bolts) If the bearings under the cap are worn, there will be play there or a visible gap. The bearings may actually fall out between the cap and ujoint end. There are four bearing caps on each ujoint. At the rearend yoke, two should be strapped/bolted, and two should be held in place at the ends with C-clips.

You'll see, real easy check :tea:

4.7stroker 01-21-2010 08:23 PM

Just grab and wiggle, there should be no slop in the joint. The xfer case should be ATF. I have Mobile1 in mine.

Dwayne

gearhead1985 01-21-2010 08:42 PM

get the autozone gold for the life time warranty they are decent just make sure to keep them greased

with your vibrations since you used atf not an oil you might of ate up a bearing my input bearing went out and cased the same symptoms

The time now is 11:35 PM.