little annoying brake problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > little annoying brake problem

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 05-27-2003, 09:02 PM   #1
Joe jeep

little annoying brake problem

warm or cold, sometimes going up to 30 mph and all of the time going below 30 mph. my rear drums will feel and sound like they lock up. the pads are 4 weeks old. i didn't replace any of the springs etc. the drums looked fine but im not realy sure what they're supposed to look like so maybe someone can help me out on this as well. i also bled them about 10 times just to make sure no dirt or water was in the resavoir. Im not really even sure if they lock up but its like i barely tap the brakes and i hear and feel them. maybe somone else has had this..... i dunno..... Thax in advance

RANCHO RS 5000's.
OPTIMA RedTop.
31"BFG'S A/T.
HEI DISTRIBUTOR W/EXTERNAL COIL, BOSCH+2'S
M.O.R.E Boomerang greasable shackeles all the way around.
Hood lock
Joe jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2003, 10:17 PM   #2
LoOpY

the rear drums automatically adjust themselves as they wear, did you turn the star wheel the whole way back in (more or less) when you put the new shoes in?

do you use your parking brake? are the lines free? did you clean up the spots where the shoes rub on the backing plate? coat them in antiseize?

i would take them back apart and just make sure you have everything in the right spots and double check that adjuster.
LoOpY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2003, 05:17 PM   #3
Joe jeep

Sounds good. ill just replace all the springs and put some anti seize.
i did turn the star wheel, but just with a flat head . should it be to the point where u can't turn the wheel by hand while on jack stands.
i already checked the e brake and all lines were free of obstruction.
thx
RANCHO RS 5000's.
OPTIMA RedTop.
31"BFG'S A/T.
HEI DISTRIBUTOR W/EXTERNAL COIL, BOSCH+2'S
M.O.R.E Boomerang greasable shackeles all the way around.
Hood lock
Joe jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2003, 06:01 PM   #4
lostboy

turn the star wheel until the wheel doesnt turn, then back off on the star wheel a couple clicks...any difference in the adjustment side to side will cause pulling to the side that's too tight.
A brake adjustment tool will give you better "feel" for the adjustment,but if you're patient,a flathead is just fine.
self adjusting brakes will take up any small differences and are enabled when the brakes are applied in reverse...a few times backing up and applying the brakes will set them up fine.
Unread 05-29-2003, 07:34 AM   #5
catfisch

Did you get the drums turned while you had em' out? If there are any grooves that are raised up on the surface of the drum.. they will contact the new brakes shoe first(you did put new brake shoes right?) and cause it to grab ect. I'd check that in addition to the adjustment. -Cat

-95 YJ
-4.0L High Output
-PowerAid Spacer
-Herculined Tub
-Brand New- AX15
-3'' RoughCountry Sus. Lift
-1.5'' lift-Conferr Shackles
-1'' Body lift
-No rear trackbar
-33x12.50 SuperSport H/T's
-10'' OutlawII Rims
-CB etc
catfisch is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.