AT lines for a heat exchanger ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > AT lines for a heat exchanger ?

July 4th Sale Event! and Yes, We're Open!Metalcloak: Celebrate Freedom with Free ShippingThe Cure for your Tie Rod Roll!

Unread 05-14-2015, 11:25 PM   #1
wrangler4me
1993 YJ Wrangler 

AT lines for a heat exchanger ?

Hello all
have a question for anyone that might have done this or anyone's 2 cents. I replaced my radiator with one that has the auto trans cooler on the bottom. I have a 5 Speed so I don't need the trans cooler part. I have been wanting to add a heat exchanger for showers while camping. I was wondering if I could just use the 12v pump to run the water threw the trans. cooler on the radiator and if it would heat the water enough to take the chill out of the mountain water. I hope I made this understandable, it is 1:30 am lol. Thanks for any thoughts or help.

wrangler4me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2015, 12:22 AM   #2
Anticanman
RIP one good jeeper

1994 YJ Wrangler 

No more to add. You've got it right on the money.
Unread 05-15-2015, 04:55 AM   #3
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The problem is the exchange time to heat the water. If you had a way of recirculating it until it gets warm it might work but one pass through isn't enough to make a difference in temp.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2015, 09:07 PM   #4
gtg413i
Web Wheeler

2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ
The problem is the exchange time to heat the water. If you had a way of recirculating it until it gets warm it might work but one pass through isn't enough to make a difference in temp.
good point. Maybe put a valve in there that when you open it, it goes to the shower head, when you close it, it goes into the recirculation loop and a temp sensor that auto shuts off so it doesn't get too hot.
Unread 05-16-2015, 08:58 AM   #5
Rebel442
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
The other issue I foresee is the the 3/8ths line isnt exactly going to flow a river. Your shower will probably be a drizzle.
Unread 05-16-2015, 08:59 AM   #6
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Coleman makes a propane hot water on demand unit now....
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2015, 03:36 PM   #7
timatoe
Web Wheeler

1990 YJ Wrangler 

It would certainly need to recirculate. Even if you simply fed a 5 gallon bucket with a pump to the radiator and back etc with a bypass for a shower head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel442 View Post
The other issue I foresee is the the 3/8ths line isnt exactly going to flow a river. Your shower will probably be a drizzle.
All of the water lines in my motor home are 3/8 ID PEX style lines. The shower isn't an at home type shower but it gets the job done no problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Romain View Post
Coleman makes a propane hot water on demand unit now....
This would be the way to go. There are also other manufacturers for on demand units for motor homes etc. As long as you're already running a 12v pump pretty much any of them should work.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2015, 04:07 PM   #8
The_Goob
Hell on Wheels

1991 YJ Wrangler 

if you had a decent sized plastic drum to use as a recirc tank like the others have mentioned, im sure you could get the water a little bit warm. enough to wet down, then lather, then rinse and not leave it running. have it set up to pull from the bottom and feed back into the top, with some sort of ball alve to switch it to the shower when needed.
I like the idea
Unread 05-16-2015, 04:42 PM   #9
fishadventure
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Goob
... sure you could get the water a little bit warm. enough to wet down, then lather, then rinse and not leave it running... I like the idea
It only takes about 4 gallons for a shower with a 45psi diaphragm pump and a hard spray 1gal/minute shower head for a good long camp shower. Sure, the teens will be miffed they can only go 4 minutes of full flow

Now a jeep is a small thing...you make me think I need to put my '69 Westfalia back together- and lift it!
Unread 05-16-2015, 06:12 PM   #10
timatoe
Web Wheeler

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishadventure View Post
It only takes about 4 gallons for a shower with a 45psi diaphragm pump and a hard spray 1gal/minute shower head for a good long camp shower. Sure, the teens will be miffed they can only go 4 minutes of full flow

Now a jeep is a small thing...you make me think I need to put my '69 Westfalia back together- and lift it!
I've seen one of THESE running around here lately, lifted on 33's.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2015, 08:02 PM   #11
Anticanman
RIP one good jeeper

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I just saw one heading up to the snow near slick rock last night. Thing looked pretty beastly. It wasnt on 33's but they are pretty good fire trail campers.
Unread 05-16-2015, 08:47 PM   #12
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Why not just use a pickup and slide in? They have worked well for years. I'm looking for a slide in for my F350.

Solar showers are cheap and work great. Why not use a solar shower and use a pump to recirculate while the sun helps out too?
People say this one will hit 110 in 3 hours and it's only 30 bucks.

http://www.amazon.com/Advanced-Eleme.../dp/B005CB7XCK
Unread 05-17-2015, 05:54 AM   #13
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisnvegas View Post
Why not just use a pickup and slide in? They have worked well for years. I'm looking for a slide in for my F350.

Solar showers are cheap and work great. Why not use a solar shower and use a pump to recirculate while the sun helps out too?
People say this one will hit 110 in 3 hours and it's only 30 bucks.

http://www.amazon.com/Advanced-Eleme.../dp/B005CB7XCK
We have used those solar shower bags for years on our camping runs. They work very well, but run out fast so we have 2 of them. Handy to have one hanging in the sun by the cooking area too.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.