Limited slip or open? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Limited slip or open?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 10-24-2012, 05:18 AM   #1
ptrcrynn
2008 JK Wrangler 

Limited slip or open?

Looking to do 8.8 swap very soon. 93 yj 2.5 Will be doing midwest wheeling nothing to extreme. My question is should I look for a limited slip or open, I thought I read hear somewhere that your better off with an open. Anyway just want a good dependable axle, any suggestions. Thanks in advance Pat.

ptrcrynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2012, 05:56 AM   #2
roadyrob
1987 YJ Wrangler 

it depends on what your future plans are for your jeep. if you want to run a lunchbox locker like aussie or spartan get an open axle, they won't work with the limited slip carrier. limited slip works good in mud and sand, not good in rocks or any wheeling where you might loose traction to a wheel.
I have a limited slip that I'm putting in my jeep, mud and sand are all we have in Fla.

the voices aren't real but they sure have good ideas.
roadyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2012, 07:21 AM   #3
bogleparsons
2013 JK Wrangler 

Personally I am going with an open 8.8 so that I can easily and cheaply lock with an Aussie or Spartan as stated above.

Limited slip i suppose is better for road manners but I like the locker more for off-road use.
Unread 10-24-2012, 12:45 PM   #4
NHfireYJ
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

What are your front axle plans?

a D30 w/ Aussie and 8.8 LSD make a good combo for all sorts of terrain/ street driving...

If you want to a lunch box in the rear now or later get an open.

if you get a LSD now, and want a full locker like and ARB / OX later, then your rear end needs to come apart and be re setup so grabbing an open carrier later is no major cost to pick up.
BETTY...94 SE, Golen Stroker 4.6, RE 4" lift, 1" booms rear, 1/2" booms front, 1" BL, 35 12.5 15 GY MTR's Kevlar on 15 x 8, AA SYE w/ Woods shaft, D30 Aussie, 8.8 w/ LSD, 4.10, Smittybilt front and rear bumpers, Wildbuilt rock sliders, Cutom tire carrier w/ Jerry can, Hi-Lift, Smitybilt 8000lb winch, Ammo can consol, VHF & CB radio, Herculined, Neoprene seat covers, Hard /soft/ bikini tops.

HUMMER INTAKE. Click here.. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...style-1257285/

FEBRUARY 2013 YJOTM
NHfireYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2012, 01:11 PM   #5
mrdeath2000
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Driving on the street/hwy with an auto-locker in the rear will give you a real understanding of what a race car driver calls TIGHT. If you have a manual, you will want to clutch in during a turn and coast until you are mostly straight.

If trail only, trailered, go open and auto-locker unless you have funds for ARB/OX/ECTED. If you drive to the trail, I personally would go with a rebuilt LSD with the carbon disc kit (includes the f150 spring), or a true-trac.
Unread 10-24-2012, 02:07 PM   #6
MLJeeper
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Ahhhh Auto lockers behaving badly. Should be a reality show. Unfortunately it tends to be blown out of proportion.Yes they will pop some, yes they will make some noise and sure they are not for everyone. But some make it sound like you cant hear your radio or your going to **** your pants every time you go around a curve or change a lane. Nothing could be further from the truth. The best advice to anyone considering an auto locker is to test drive one in someone elses rig. It very well may not be for you. BUT, LSDs are not good for much so dont sink a lot of money into one you will probably be happy enough with its performance in sand and mud and such. OP if you have no plans of locking the rear, ever, get the LSD and rebuild it. Might make you happy and the cost is the same..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Any video of the sound?
MLJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2012, 03:17 PM   #7
mrdeath2000
1993 YJ Wrangler 

they're pretty much only noisey is slow parking lot turns, and by noisy, i mean the tire chirping/scuffing, you might have to listen hard to hear the ratcheting, remember its behind a cover and in gear oil. the steering will feel tighter in turns unless in neutral or clutch in. I am not sure how much extra stress a rear auto-locker puts on components (AX-5??) if you do a lot of street driving, like a DD.

I cannot vouch for a 100% locked on the street, but my experience comes from an 80% locked rear 350z 1.5way (externally adjustable 60/80/100, never ran the 100).

My recommendation was/is based on having a full locker up front (ARB or auto-locker), not an lsd.
Test driving someones with an autolocker in the rear is a VERY solid idea, and will yield the best opinion you can get.
Unread 10-24-2012, 06:16 PM   #8
ptrcrynn
2008 JK Wrangler 

Thanks all for your replys. I guess my best bet would be to go open. Don't really plan on upgrading it though just looking to have good dependable axle for street and mild wheeling. It's not a DD anymore, so who knows.
ptrcrynn is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.