Lime - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 02-22-2016, 10:42 AM Thread Starter
mryannyu
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Lime

Just bought this as a project. What an understatement. Drove it less than five miles. While I was attempting to shift from first to second, it bucked a little and stalled and I have not been able to get it started since. At this point, I have spark, and gas. Starter fluid into the intake manifold does not ignite. My spark at the plug seems nice and strong - blueish center, then white then orange. my diagnostic codes are 1-2, 3-3, 5-5, so that doesn't help.

I have changed:
plugs, rotor, cap, wires, coil, crank shaft position sensor, timing chain and sprockets. No luck.

I tried going straight from the coil to one of the cylinders and finally got some attempt at ignition but obviously it was not going to run on one cylinder.

So at this point I am ruling out fuel. I am thinking its timing or less likely quality of spark. When I redid my chain, my timing was right on. My spark seems to be strong at the plugs. So what is left ECM? Is there a way to troubleshoot this. I have already spent too much money replacing good parts. Is there anything else other than the ECM that might create this problem?

Thanks from a jeep newbie.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-28-2016, 09:34 AM Thread Starter
mryannyu
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Did you replace your distributor? Funny you should ask. I did. The new distributor came in a fixed position and when I installed it, I still could not get the jeep to run. I noticed that the rotor was at 430 when the crank was TDC. I manually adjusted the distributor position and now it points to the 1st plug (3oclock plus) when I am tdc. I also pulled the first plug an think my first cylinder is at top of the cycle at TDC on the crank, so I don't understand how my timing can be off. my error messages are 12 33 55. so not providing me any information.

Any thoughts. I have read a lot of the existing threads and none of the seem to answer my problem specifically. I am unclear if the ECM would create my problem because I do get spark and fuel. Could the ECM be adjusting timing that much?
post #3 of 8 Old 02-28-2016, 09:48 AM
cyoos
1992 YJ Wrangler 

The Crank Position Sensor could be wreaking a bit of havoc.
post #4 of 8 Old 02-28-2016, 09:50 AM
cyoos
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I had a CPS go bad a few years ago. Instead of just crapping out, it would act up, then settle down, then act up, and then settle down. PITA!
post #5 of 8 Old 02-28-2016, 10:02 AM Thread Starter
mryannyu
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks. That is one of the first things I replaced based on what I read in the threads. Maybe my replacement is bad also. Do you know how I can check it?
post #6 of 8 Old 02-28-2016, 11:38 AM
Drednot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

The PCM controls ignition and injector timing.
The fixing of the base of the distributor keeps one from trying to adjust it, but if you pull it out, the gear teeth can be off to the point the PCM cant cope.

To eliminate a VALVE timing issue, take a cranking vacuum reading, and do a compression test. We want to be sure the engine is still mechanically able to run.

If that checks out, then you need to re-verify TDC of the COMPRESSION stroke of cylinder #1, and check that the distributor points to the #1 cap tower.

91 YJ Sahara, 4.0L, AX-15/NP231, D30/D35@3.07
12 Cherokee 4x4,3.7L,42RLE/MP1522, D30M/8.25@3.73
Emission test=YES
"Non Vi Sed, Arte"
post #7 of 8 Old 02-28-2016, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
mryannyu
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Drednot. OK thanks. Just so I am sure I understand if everything else checks out then possibly the PCM? Job for next weekend.
post #8 of 8 Old 03-16-2016, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
mryannyu
1995 YJ Wrangler 

So I think I understand what is going on. When I first drove the car as I was shifting from first to 2nd it bucked and stalled. I did everything to from change spark plugs to timing chain. It turns out that the distributor showed some grinding down of its gear. When I put the new distributor in I put it in 180 degrees out of phase. Once I switched it to be TDC with one, it started and ran OK. I took it for another drive hit a speed bumped and it went out of phase again and stalled. Now the new distributor gears are a little chewed up on a 3 mile drive. So now I am thinking I have a bad cam shaft that is not meshing well with the distributor.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.