Light wiring question? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Light wiring question?

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 11-29-2011, 08:31 AM   #1
rockcop
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Light wiring question?

Before I get flamed, I've searched and can't find the answer to my question. I have two auxiliary lights on my front bumper that were installed by the PO with no switch that I can find. I want to rewire with a switch on the dash. I only want to turn the lights on manually. Can I wire these lights straight to the battery and through a switch? Do I need relays and a inline fuse? Any recommendations is appreciated.

rockcop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2011, 08:35 AM   #2
loukimball
1990 YJ Wrangler 

yes, I have mine that way, I used inline fuse, I mounted a switch under dash...if you run more than 2 u Prolly need to do relays and go through fuse box...

Sent from my not so smart phone using JeepForum
Unread 11-29-2011, 08:36 AM   #3
tdewit
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Here's a good write-up with diagrams.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...ed=0CBkQ9QEwAQ
tdewit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2011, 09:53 AM   #4
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Relay use depends on wattage of the lights. If high output, use a relay.

ALWAYS fuse EVERY accessory!
Unread 11-29-2011, 11:58 AM   #5
Billsbluejeep
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Always use a fuse... period!

...and you might as well wire it up with relays too, that way when you modify or replace the lights you won't need to go back and retrofit your wiring too.

Here's a good write-up for doing it right; http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f20/w...ations-378268/
Billsbluejeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2011, 12:05 PM   #6
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Can you? Yes. Would I? No.

What I did was get a relatively cheap fuse block that is fed from the battery and then every accessory is fed from there through a relay. It's not expensive or difficult to do.

This is what mine looks like. I know it's a mess, I plan on cleaning it all up a bit when I do the new fenders etc. this winter....

timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2011, 12:18 PM   #7
Shenandoah
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Some states require the lights wired to come on with the low/high beams. Check your state laws (for on road use).

I would recommend relay(s) and always fuse. I bought some black, plastic boxes from Radio Shack. In line fuses were put inside one box and relays were put in the other box. Boxes are marked and harnesses are run between them.

Timatoe has the same idea, mine is less high tech.
Unread 11-29-2011, 01:06 PM   #8
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

^Link to list of these laws? The only laws I have heard is that if they are accessory offroad lights that they need to be covered up while on the road.

-1989 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, soon to be 5.2L
-1996 Jeep Grand Cherokar 5.2L, donor and rainy day driver
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2011, 02:34 PM   #9
Berniebikes
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Sometimes lights require much more amperage (hence bigger wire, more power) than tyical switches are usually made to handle. Rather than run from the battery into the cab, thru a switch and back out to a light you use a relay. It only takes a very low current to run the relay, so your relay switch leg goes from the cab and thru the relay. That way your higher power wire is confined and you don't overload your switch. As others said, also use a fuse to prevent melting things! Whether inline, or thru a fuse block doesn't really matter, just protect it. If you need assistance on how to do it the link above has all the info you need!
Berniebikes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2011, 02:51 PM   #10
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress View Post
^Link to list of these laws? The only laws I have heard is that if they are accessory offroad lights that they need to be covered up while on the road.
I'm unaware of any such wiring law in CA. The way yours are from your avatar pic are fine, anything more than four lights total have to be covered.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2011, 03:17 PM   #11
Matt The Hammer
1995 YJ Wrangler 

The relay eliminates all the power flowing through your switch on the dash. The relay acts like a switch that is controlled by the switch on the dash. It's actually much easier to use the relay as the wiring is much easier to run IMO.
Unread 11-29-2011, 03:22 PM   #12
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt The Hammer View Post
The relay eliminates all the power flowing through your switch on the dash. The relay acts like a switch that is controlled by the switch on the dash. It's actually much easier to use the relay as the wiring is much easier to run IMO.
If you're setting up more than one set of lights, I would suggest a fuse block like Tim has, for power from battery to relays and one hot wire daisy chained to the input of all your switches with cat 5 out to the relays to energize them. It minimizes the birds nest under the hood.
Unread 11-29-2011, 04:07 PM   #13
Shenandoah
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Don't know about CA law. In Va you can have 4 lights on at a time. Low beam plus another set wired into the low bean and high beam with another set wired to high beam.

Off road lights have to be covered and they can be wired to a separate switch.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.